Thread: Tzetziki!

Replies

Here is something i made after falling in love with it while traveling Turkey & Greece. called Tzetziki in Greek, and Jejik in Turkish (speilling i am not sure of) - basically Yogurt Cucumber Dip/Dressing.
    Its the stuff they serve with Gyros if made authentically.

1 Point for 1/3 Cup, maybe 1.5 Points if you drizzle 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil in the Mixture.

RECIPE:

1 Big Tub Plain Yogurt
    1 Shredded Cucumber
    1 -2 cloves Garlic
    Fresh Herb (Parsley, Mint or Basic (OR ALL)
    Optional: Olive Oil, Lemon

This recipe has tons of variations...

Drain yogurt, turn upside down in a colander through a layer of cheese cloth.

Cucumber - Shred with a cheese grater or mandolin as much or as little as you would like, peeled or unpeeled-- (i use only one for a 16oz tub of yogurt. Also, put the shredded cucumber over a strainer for a couple hours to get some moisture out of it.

Crush Garlic, 1 or 2 cloves to taste, Chop Herb, Mix with Drained Yogurt and Cucumber.

Add a teaspoon of olive oil to the mixture, But if you DO NOT use ANY OIL, it is perfectly good and practically fat free.

Serve with Tomatos, Pita Bread, it is awesome with grilled vegetables and chicken, marinated with lemon juice.

Let the mixture mellow for a couple hours if you can.

I love Greek & Turksih Food. If you have not tried this, I highly recomend it.
    Never do to others<BR>what you would not like<BR>them to do to you. <BR> --confucius <P>In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. <BR> --mother teresa

This is Great!....thanks for the recipe...
    I use to eat gyros all the time...and I never could quite figure out the dressing...I knew it was yogurt and cucumbers...but didnt know about the garlic! or the herbs...
    can't wait to try this out....it is soooo good on pita sandwiches...
    amecca<br />start date 07/22/01<br />203/180/130<p>How high I aim, how much I see, how far I reach, depends on me

Thank you. This looks great. My DH will love this. He loves this kind of food.

I will make it over the weekend.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby