Thread: Tofu Tamale Pie

Replies

I love this recipe and make it quite often. (I'm from the 100+ group, and believe me, I'm going to be making it for quite a while... it's a keeper!)

TOFU TAMALE PIE
    From Weight Watchers, Annual Recipes for Success, 2001
    6 servings - 5 points each

1 (12.3-oz) package firm tofu, drained
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 C. finely chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbs. ground cumin
    1 Tbs.hot chili powder
    1 tsp. salt, divided
    1 (1.25-oz) pacakge 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning mix
    3 C. water, divided
    1 (16-oz) can pinot beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
    1 (8-oz) can whole-kernel corn, drained
    Cooking Spray
    1 Tbs. butter or stick margarine
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1 C. yellow cornmeal
    1 tsp. baking powder
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1. Place tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels, cover with more paper towels, and place on a plate. Place a saucepan filled with potatoes on top of paper towels; let stand 20 minutes to remove excess water. Crumble tofu into small pieces.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tofu, cumin, chili powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and seasoning mix; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 C. water, pinto beans, tomatoes, and corn, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into an 11- x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

4. Combine remaining 2-1/2 C. water, 1/2 tsp. salt, butter and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add baking powder and eggs, stir well. Pour cornmeal mixture over tofu mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Points: 5. Exchanges: 2 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 1 Fat. Per serving: 270 cal, 11 g protein, 8 g fat (sat 2.1 g), 40 g carb, 6.5 g fiber, 76 mg chol, 3.4 mg iron, 1,272 mg sodium, 125 mg calcium.

Replies

This is one of our FAMILY FAVORITES also!!

It's delicious, nutritious, you get a LOT...and to me, it's "comfort food"~ Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

This sounds REALLY good, and (tweaker that I am) I'm thinking it could be made with a couple cups of rehydrated TVP in place of the tofu?? Since I have that on hand more often than I have the tofu!

Note to self: must try this one SOON!

Char

Replies

Great idea, Chars...Let us know.

I meant to share a HINT. With the tofu, after squeezing it, I take a hard-boiled egg slicer and put the tofu in it and slice it north/south...and then turn the cube and slice it east/west. This is a PERFECT way to "small dice" tofu AND it makes it easy to blend-in easily for the family...instead of biting into a BIG chunk of "What's THIS?!! :eek: " Carol

Replies

This sounds really good. And I've been looking for a way to use tofu, since I'm not too familiar with it. This might be a good receipe to try it with. I love cornmeal, too. I've been using it to make Italian Polenta, which is good too.

Char: Do let us know about the TVP; can't imagine it would be bad tho.
    JeanetteSki

OK, I made this recipe using TVP and it was GREAT! The unknowing 20 YO human eating machine (DSS) ate two helpings, declaring, "Why haven't you ever made THIS before? It's really GOOD!" MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! The TVP queen strikes again!

Anyway I made enough changes to it (yes, Charski Tweaks) to make it different so I posted it under "TVP Tamale Pie" - I added cubed zucchini to bulk it up a bit more, and made it in a 9x13 pan (which it filled to the top!) and cut it into 8 servings instead of 6. Next time I will not use any sweetener in the topping, I subbed Splenda for the sugar but it was too sweet - to my tastes, cornmeal is inherently sweet anyway. So I'll douse the sweet stuff. I might add a little chili powder to the cornmeal though!

I also added one small can of chopped olives, because I happen to like olives in my tamale pie. You could certainly leave them out if you didn't have them or didn't like them. Again, DSS, who professes to HATE olives, hadn't a clue.

So either way, tofu or TVP, this one will be a keeper around our house too, especially for only 3 points per serving! I could only eat one serving, along with some freshly made pico de gallo and some sauteed squash from our garden. Yummy, filling, comfort food at its best.

Char

Replies

[img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] You are NOT going to believe this!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I looked at the first ingredients on this recipe and THOUGHT it was my WW's Family Favorite. When Charski just mentioned "sugar" I thought, "WHAT?!!" :eek:

Now I see that this is NOT my "WW's Tofu Tamale Pie" recipe!! :rolleyes:

I'll have to post MY favorite, too! I wanted to see how it worked with Charski's TVP. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Does that mean I'm gonna have to do it MYSELF?!...

Carol