Thread: tofu anyone???

hey guys [img]smile.gif[/img] I am wondering if anyone knows of any good tofu recipes. the easier the better but i really want to try some good recipies. Does anyone know the point values of tofu? It would be a great help to me if someone could help me out. Does anyone eat a lot of bread/grains because it is easy and usually available. Any suggestions to being a vegetarian in general on WW? As you can see i am open to any and everything Any help is much appreciated. Best of Luck to all on the program. Summer here i come

Hi Gene,

I am still searching for some good tofu recipes myself, and will definetly post some when I find them.

I use Mori-Nu lowfat tofu. It is 1 point per serving, and one block serves 4. I like it because it comes in an airtight box and does not need to be refrigerated until after it is opened.

I made a nice little soup yesterday night with 2 servings of tofu, 1/2 can of vegetable broth, eggplant and some other vegetables which I can't remember at the moment. For 2points it was tasty and filling.

I have tried some of the tofu "mixes" - packages of powder to make things like eggless salad, szechwan tofu, italian tofu etc., but have found them to be bitter tasting and fairly flavorless, so I would not recommend them.

I got a vegan cookbook a couple of weeks ago, and am planning on trying some of the recipes in the near future, so I will report back then.

little fish Guest

I use a lot of TVP - textured vegetable protein. I put it in chili, spaghetti sauce...anything that you might throw ground beef into.

1/3 cup dry = 1 point
    1/3 cup is a whole lot when it hydrates.

I'm not a big fan of tofu - there is a real art to cooking with it and having it tasty.

Fish

One of my favorite ways to fix tofu is to drain it (I use Nayosa firm or extra firm, calcium enriched. Nayosa is made from non-GMO soybeans and is organic.). Cut it into cubes, we like ours fairly small - 1/4" by 1/4". Brown it in a wok or frying pan in a tablespoon or so of olive oil with 7 or 8 cloves of minced garlic. It can now be used in stir frys or sprinkled on salads or added to any rice dish. Leftover can me frozen.

Hope you like it.
    SW: 194<br />SW: 171 (2nd time)<br />CW: 160<br />GW: 145

I cube the tofu and sprinkle it with seasoning (McCormick spicy blend usually) then brown it in a dry skillet. Then I add it to stir-fried 0-point veggies (I either use Pam or just dry-fry them to crisp-tender. You could use steamed too), add a splash of organic Tamari soy sauce and enjoy. You can marinate the tofu in soy, ginger, garlic, and a little cornstarch for an hour or so before cooking and it gives it that slippery kind of texture that stir-fried beef has.