Thread: AAA Eggplant Question :)

1. Default

Okay...I've tried and tried to like eggplant, but can't seem to find an easy way to cook it without adding points. Do any of you have suggestions on how to spice it up? Any zero point hints? I've sauted it in Pam and added Garlic and Herb seasoned Mrs. Dash. That was okay, but not great.

Am I nuts for thinking it can taste good with no points?

SB
    147 current/125 goal

Hi SB
    There seems to be a really good recipe in the May edition of Light and Tasty. I don't know whether you eat dairy (it has parmesan) but here it is
    1 serving is 1 point. I have not tried this, but plan to later this week, although I think I may substitute zucchini and Mrs. Dash for the Italian seasoning. I will also leave out the garlic salt, to reduce the sodium and use plain powdered garlic instead.

1 medium eggplant (1.25 lbs.)
    1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    3/4 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, warmed

Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices, then cut each slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips. In a shallow dish combine wheat germ, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Dip eggplant sticks in the egg substitute, then coat with the wheat germ mixture.
    Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Spritz eggplant with cooking spray.
    Broil 4 in. from heat for 3 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn sticks and spritz with cooking spray, Broil 2 minutes longer until golden. Serve immediately with spaghetti sauce.
    Yield: 8 servings
    Nutrition:
    One serving (4 sticks, with 2 tbsp sauce) equals 86 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 5 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 7 g protein.

If I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologize...
    Mehadable<br />OP since January 2, 2002<br />206/170/??

3. Default

Thank you for the recipe! Believe it or not, I just started subscribing to Light and Tasty, and somehow missed this recipe. I'll go back and look right now [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

SB
    147 current/125 goal

Okay, here's a recipe. It was my first time to eat eggplant and I thought it was really good. Zero points!!!!

Broile Eggplant

1 plum tomato, finely chopped
    3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp. chopped basil
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 small (3/4 lb)eggplant, cut into 1/2" slices
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

1. Spray the broiler rack with nonstick cooking spray; preheat the broiler.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the tomato, vinegar, basil and garlic. Place the eggplant slices on the broiler rack and brush with some of the tomato mixture. Broil 5-6" from heat until lightly browned on one side, about 8 minutes. Turn the slices over and brush with a little more of the tomato mixture. Broil until lightrly browned 3-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a platter.

3. Add the salt and pepper to remaining tomato mixture; pour over the eggplant.

Serves 4.

5. Default

Wow Lynn, that sounds yummy! Just what I was looking for too. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much.

SB
    147 current/125 goal