Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 cups water
    1 1/2 cups dried lentils -- (9 ounces)
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    1 can corn (approx. 16 oz.) -- rinsed and drained
    2 cans stewed tomatoes -- (approx. 16 oz each)
    1 6-oz. can tomato paste
    1 packet taco seasoning mix -- (1-1/4 oz.)
    hot sauce -- to taste
    crushed red pepper -- to taste; optional

Toss everything into a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and let cook for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes to prevent burning. Depending on consistency, add more water as necessary. (Note: I didn't need to add any more water.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

** Original recipe calls for 2 packets of taco seasoning mix.
    I use only one and find it to be quite spicy.

2.5 POINTS per serving (per Jim)

M.C. formatted by Dina on 9/5/99.

Replies

Made this one last night and LOVED it!!! So filling for one serving. I melted a little mozzerella cheese on it, ummmmmm! Thanks so much for posting it!!

------------------
    Laurie~~ Some people dream about success...while others wake up and work hard at it.
    ~~One of the "original" BCB's since Oct.1999~~

www.picturetrail.com/laurdee

Replies

Pulling up

Replies

:d pulling up again!

Replies

this is fun and easy to make, thanks for posting the recipe. Six servings?? They would be HUGE!

------------------
    starshine
    244.7/220.4

Replies

And pulling up once again! I find myself making this WEEKLY!! Did I ever tell the story of how I tripped carrying this in the conference room at work and had lentils ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Laurie~~ Some people dream about success...while others wake up and work hard at it.
    ~~One of the "original" BCB's since Oct.1999~~

www.picturetrail.com/laurdee

eaglssong Guest

Laurie,

Not to mention the poor telephone operator.. LOL

------------------
    ~~No one can predict to what heights you can soar, until you spread
    your wings.~~ Eagl (Anne)

www.picturetrail.com/eaglssong

Dear Koani,

I printed out your recipe, I will try this weekend, it sounds absulutely awesome....I will let you know.

consumptuous

Replies

To the top once again!
    Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.
    Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
    Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
    Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
    Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.
    Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

angela the achiever Guest

I just made this and it's really good! I made a few revisions because the basic recipe is on the tame side for me. I like it SPICY! [img]redface.gif[/img] I calculated the points with my slider and came up with 3 points per 2 cup serving instead of the 2.5 listed with the recipe. (Cal: 192, Fat: .5, Fiber: 11) Note that I used 3 fresh ears of corn instead of a can. Maybe the original recipe was calculated with the old 123 Success calculator.

It's the first time I've cooked with lentils and I was surprised that I didn't have to soak them. They cook up just fine in one hour and they really make this chili thick and hearty.

In addition to the recipe, I added about 1/2 c. chopped green pepper, 1 t. of minced garlic, about 1/4 c. of chili powder, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, and a few dashes of tobasco.

Next time I make it I think I'll add some chopped carrots, for added color and taste, and it will still fall within the 3 points.

Replies

Pulling up [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Author unknown

Replies

Pulling up, once again, cause I hate to see this one get lost!

I had a big bowlfull for lunch today...it was sooooooo good!!!

You've got to try it! I still make it regularly!!! and this was originally posted over 2 years ago!!! :eek: [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Author unknown

I gotta try this one this week! Thanks for keeping on top of pulling it up!

Cheree
    Get set with the right mind set.

Laurie--thanks for bumping this up so many times! I am really looking forward to trying this one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I made this today, out of desperation - I was PLANNING to make a big pot of chili BEANS but the cupboard was BARE of dried beans! :eek: However, there was a pound bag of lentils so I thought, well, I'll give it a try....

Of course, I had to "tweak" it to MY liking - we don't care for corn in our chili, so I left that out; added a chopped orange bell pepper, and two cups of dry TVP; omitted the taco seasoning and used a tablespoon of chipotle chili powder, a tablespoon of unsweetened low fat cocoa powder, some cumin and some coriander and a tablespoon of oregano - and maybe a couple other things, who knows!

Anyway all I can say is - WOWEE ZOWEE! I may NEVER make "bean" chili again! And further, it was DONE, start to finish, in just over an hour. Try THAT with dried beans!

DH said, "Add this one to the 'make frequently' list!" His highest praise.....

Char

Charski - did I read that correctly?? You added unsweetened cocoa powder to the chili? What does that do to the flavor? And how on earth did you come up with the idea to add cocoa? I've tried some of your other recipes and they've been good, so I trust you. But chili and cocoa powder sound like an illegal food mix to me! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Denise

Sorry, Denise, I didn't see this til I noted your question on a separate thread - so I'll post here what I posted there!

The amount of unsweetened cocoa powder I use does NOT impart a chocolate flavor, it just adds a complexity to the flavors as it pairs really well with chili powder. It tasted "flat" to me til I added the cocoa powder.

Sometimes I add cold perked coffee to recipes too, for the same reason - no coffee flavor remains, but it "perks up" the other flavors of the dish.

I dunno where this stuff comes from, probably about 40 years of cooking and reading recipe books and magazines! And also sitting at the knee of my mother who was an adventurous cook, and not being afraid to TRY something. That's the beauty of trying out new things in recipes - if it's no good, no major permanent damage has been done. You might have to go out for dinner or yank something out of the freezer though!

Char

girlinmotion Guest

I have a friend who also adds unsweetened chocolate just like you do Char, he says it's an old Mexican tradition to make the flavour richer. Same with "mole" sauce.
    I'm going to have to try the cocoa trick! I always add a little red wine and extra cumin to mine, but I've never ventured into cocoa powder...

bump

Replies

To the TOP, again!!!
    Author unknown

Replies

Thanks for bumping this, Laurdee. I love Lentils and never would have thought making a chili with them. It's definately "chili" weather here today in Sunny CA and this sounds good.

Quick OT question.....Why does your Avatar display as just a box (with a red X)? Is this my computer?
    “Learning to lose is like basic training, but maintaining the desired weight is the real battleground.”<br />149/121.8/125

Replies

Oh, gosh You mean my cute, little golden retrievers don't show up?????? I can see them, how come YOU can't?????? [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img]

I have to say that this is my favorite chili recipe. I do a very similar treatment to it as Char does. I think we must be sisters somewhere because she is literally the first person I have every met that cooks like me!!!!

Anyway, I am not a huge bean eater nor a huge chili eater but I can eat this concoction once a week easily and DH who is both a lover of beans and chili would eat it daily if I let him! Shhhhh........just don't tell him that I use TVP and not beef!!!!!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

This is REALLY good. It makes a lot for just the 2 of us, but it freezes very well. I freeze it in serving size containers for lunch at work. I put a tsp of ff sour cream on it, too. Really good, and really cheap -- meaning $$ AND points! Thanks for posting it!

Replies

I can't wait to try this. I LOVE this kind of stuff! And it'll be nice to have a change from the beans. Next week, it'll be on my menu for lunches at work. Thanks for keeping it handy for us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast