Thread: Copper Country Pasties

raidermom Guest

Now...this was a special request, I don't want a lecture on how bad this recipe is in points! Hey, you can't deprive yourself from an authentic Yooper pasty....at least I can't. I will say that I changed the LARD to SHORTENING and took the suet out...but that's as far as I'm going!

UPDATE: Here is a fun page where you can see pasties being made in the Copper Country.http://www.pasty.com/making.html There is also a link if you want to order some pasties........ (just click on "back to pasty central) ALSO...here is the Anatomy of a Pasty...I wish the pic were bigger, but if you squint you can make it out. Anatomy of a Pasty

Pastry:

3 1/2 C. Flour
    1 C. Shortening
    3/4 C. Cold Water
    1 1/2 tsp. salt

Filling:

1 1/2 - 2 Pounds Round Steak
    4-5 medium potatoes, diced (red work very well)
    2 medium onions, chopped fine
    1 small rutabaga, diced
    salt & pepper to taste

Pastry: Cut shortening into sifted flour and salt until coarse and crumbly. Add water in gradually until consistency of pie crust. Place in refrigerator.
    Filling: Cut meat into small pieces, removing any gristle. Combine vegetables with meat and add salt and pepper to taste. Roll out dough into 6-inch rounds (or desired size). Place approximately 1/6 of the filling on half of the pastry round. Dot a couple of tablespoons of butter on top of filling. Draw the other half of pastry over the filling. Crimp edges to seal in filling. I like to brush the dough with some cold coffee...but milk will work. Make small slit in the center of pasty, or p-r-i-c-k with fork and place on baking sheet. Bake at 350* for 1 hour.

Notes: I like to add a couple chopped carrots to the filling......just my preference. You can adjust the filling to how you like it. I like it meatier, DH likes more veggies.
    Also, I have found that putting parchment paper on the cookie sheets REALLY helps with the clean up AND helps keep the pasty from getting stuck and breaking.

To freeze: wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil. Place 2-3 in a ziploc freezer bag. Nothing worse than a freezer burnt pasty!

FirstCavWife Guest

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!
    ***I*** made the special request for this wonderful dish! I might just make some up...maybe even smaller than usual and stick them in the freezer too! I can pull one out for a special occasion!!!!
    My mouth is watering just THINKING about it!
    -Dawn

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE pasties! We had them when we were at the Enstrom factory in Menominee MI! There was a little stand (I don't know if it was on the Menominee side or the Marinette side of the river), but they made GREAT pasties!

ANd raspberry pie.........oh that would be a dangerous place to live!

I think I had at least two every day that we were there and could have eaten more! They are so-o-o good. I've printed your recipe for a SPECIAL occasion

OK, if you're gonna POST this stuff, you may as well put the nutritional info there! Inquiring minds NEEEEEED to know.............

Char

raidermom Guest

WHAT?? You wanna give these people a heart attack? I don't think people really want to know that, do you? I don't think I want to know..........

Well, here ya go killjoy, have it your way. :rolleyes: There's only a mere *gulp* 22 points per pasty.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Copper Country Pasties

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup vegetable shortening
    3/4 cup water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 pounds round steak
    5 medium red potatoes
    2 medium onions
    1 small rutabaga

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 933 Calories (kcal); 53g Total Fat; (52% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 72g Carbohydrate; 90mg Cholesterol; 620mg Sodium; 4g Dietary Fiber
    Food Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 8 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Replies

Thanks for sharing this!!!! My parents live in Marquette (waaaay up in the U.P.). Everytime I go home to visit, I splurge and have at least one pasty during my visit. There's nothing like them. I'll definitely give the lower point version a try though.

How? What? How? There's a lower-point version?

Because I am a masochist, I figured out that you can lop off 6.5 points per pasty by substituting Morningstar Farms Crumbles for the 1-1/2 lbs of beef. If anyone has a lower-points pastry, maybe we can debug this delicious-sounding treat. If not, I wonder how good ol' Bran Bread would work as a calzone-style wrapper - that's 2 points per serving, which would mean that the pasty would be about 3-4 points.

Disclaimer #1: I have never had the Copper Country Pasty, but my ex is British, and we made Cornish pasties at home. Yummmmmmm!

Disclaimer #2: I don't believe anything would taste as good as the Real Thing. Substitutes are just that. Then again, I am the chick who makes poutine with oven-fried potatoes and low-fat cheese, so I may be the Official Spoiler of Fun.
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

raidermom Guest

Originally posted by Gillie:
    Thanks for sharing this!!!! My parents live in Marquette (waaaay up in the U.P.). Everytime I go home to visit, I splurge and have at least one pasty during my visit. There's nothing like them. I'll definitely give the lower point version a try though.
    I am originally from Ishpeming!! Home of Congress Pizza! (I'm sure your parents know all about that place ) My uncle owns the only barber shop in town. I miss that place soooooo much, it's beautiful there. So then, you know all about cudighi's then eh? (did you catch that "eh"? Once a yooper always a yooper) I just happen to make my own cudighis as well! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Cordy...these pasties originated from the Cornish pasties, so I'm sure what you made was very similar. But they use gravy on them...yoopers use catsup. And BTW official spoiler of fun...I appreciate the effort, I really do, but I will bank and starve for the whole day, just to bite into an authentic yooper pasty. Haven't I sacrificed enough by eliminating the lard and suet??? LOL [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Replies

Raidermom - your own cudighis?! WOW, I'm impressed! It's funny because we're talking like the U.P. is a foreign country. I guess in some ways it is. So now that you live downstate, I guess that makes you a "troll"? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yes, it IS gorgeous up there. I usually visit for at least a week during the summer...I can never get enough.

raidermom Guest

[img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

NEVER!!! I AM A YOOPER!!!

.............My DH and children are trolls.....

Just for that....no cudighi recipe!

I agree!! Never change the original. I have been eating and anticipating the "REAL THING" since I was a little tike. I would live on veggies and veggie soup for 2 days to eat and enjoy a truly amazing pasty.

A True Yopper!!!