Thread: Trailer Trash Meatballs 2.5 Points for 5 Meatballs!

FirstCavWife Guest

**(no offense intended to anyone who lives in a trailer)**

We've tried the Cola/Catsup (Salsa) Chicken and really like it. I can't imagine who ever came up with the idea of combining those 2 items to make a sauce, but everytime I think of it I am reminded of that cookbook "Trailer Trash Cooking" or some such name. Anyway, so we just always call it "Trailer Trash Chicken."
    I got a new WW cookbook (Just Like Home) yesterday at my meeting and it has some great looking meatballs in it that have a cranberry jelly/chili sauce sauce covering them. They are 7 points though and I thought that I would try the meatballs with the Cola/Salsa combination. THEY WERE GREAT!!! Hubby LOVED them!! We have switched to wheat berries and bulgar wheat instead of rice, so we had the meatballs over Wheat Berries and a salad for a VERY filling dinner that came to only 4.5 Points!!!!!! Here's the recipe for the Meatballs. I got a total of 47 meatballs, but you can make yours bigger and adjust accordingly.
    After making the meatballs I cooked them for about 5-6 hours on high in my (very old) crockpot in 2 cans of DietRite and 1 26oz jar of salsa. They were a big hit!!!
    -Dawn

* Exported from MasterCook *

Trailer Trash Meatballs

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :
    Makes : 45 meatballs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound ground beef, 95% lean
    1 cup Italian bread crumbs
    1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99%
    Egg substitute
    1/2 cup parsley
    2 tablespoons onion -- minced

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 125 Calories; 3g Fat (21.5% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 374mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

raidermom Guest

LOL!! Trailer Trash Meatballs.......... too funny.

I like to make my meatballs with grape jelly and chili sauce.....works good with smoked kielbasa as well. But this sounds tempting as well.......so I will give it a try!

Now, if I like them, do I hafta start using appliances for lawn ornaments?

Replies

Yes, Cheryl... the appliances are a must. And, you must plant flowers in that toliet bowl you have stuck on the side of the house. You thought I couldn't see it didn't you?? [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Replies

oops..almost forgot.. :rolleyes:
    That recipe sounds great!
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Replies

Can you give me the recipe for the
    Cola/Catsup (Salsa) Chicken
    I would like to try that too.
    Those meatballs sound great!
    Can't wait to try them.

FirstCavWife Guest

Kurly,
    Here's the link to the Cola Chicken (aka Trailer Trash Chicken in our house). I like it better with the salsa.....and catsup has 250 calories per cup so you would have to count some points for the sauce if you use that......I don't count points for the sauce with the salsa version.
    -Dawn
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/ubb/u...;f=23;t=000281

thank you so much i'am going to try them tonight i will share this with my ww meeting satuday thanks again

Sounds very good! Thanks for sharing [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Lori

start 208
    current 193
    goal ww 158
    goal personal 148
    highest 242

"Don't tell God how big the storm is, instead tell the storm how big your God is."

Along with those lawn ornament appliances, don't forget to take the tires off your Camaro or Trans Am and put the car up on cement blocks to add that classy finishing touch to your abode.

I made a "version" of this last night and it was good!

I used 12 oz.plain ol' water, 4 squirts DV sugarfree cola-flavored syrup, and 2 cups chipotle salsa. Blended it all together and nuked for a few minutes. Tasted. Decided it was a good "sweet & sour" base so I sauteed some onions and sugar snap peas and yellow bell pepper, cut in squares, in a sprayed nonstick skillet for a couple minutes; added some soy sauce and rice vinegar to the sauce; threw in about 1/2 cup of leftover crushed pineapple and its juice; added that to the sauteed veggies and simmered briefly, then added 1 package of Trader Joe's meatless meatballs and simmered just til they were hot through. Made a BIG serving for 5 points! I had leftover sauce & veggies, so added a sliced chicken/pesto sausage to it and will have that for lunch. Mmmm!

Char

Debnicu Guest

I made this for dinner tonight and it was fabulous.DH thought it was fantastic.I can't wait to make it once the spaghetti squash is ready so we can have it on top of that.I am also going to make a couple of batches of the meatballs all at once freeze them so I can just throw everything in the crockpot and go.Thanks for a great recipe. :eek:

These sound great! Can't wait to go to the store -- may have them tonight.

I just love this forum - I have gotten some really good recipes from you guys. [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

dachshundtales Guest

Dawn you forgot the washing machine on the front porch and the old car on blocks in my back yard! hahaha....

These sound great and anytime I can haul out the ol`crockpot... I am sooooo happy!
    Do you brown the meatballs first? Would you brown them b/f freezing? and do you like the salsa vs the ketchup? I love the crockpot salsa chicken I add 2 cans of blk beans and serve it over cheese quesadillas. Our fav. I have been making that for over a yr. now. Still aint tired of it.
    Let me know on the browning issuse. I would assume you would brown them or they would fall apart right? Gosh these sound good!
    Donna * who will be seeing ya on the fab.40s

dachshundtales Guest

Dawn I just pulled your T.T. meatballs out of the oven! They smell so good! I put them in the oven and baked them so they have less chance of falling apart.

I also patted the meat mixture out on the counter and cut it into 45 pc.s with my handy dandy pizza wheel so they would be the same size.

Tommorrow they are going in the crockpot with diet soda and salsa! Today is spinach lasagna! Can`t wait to try both as they are both new recipes. Gotta keep it fresh! Try new things! Donna

Wink

I made these for my family and they thought they were great! Now they ask me when we can have meatballs again. Since I have a DD and a DS who need to shed a few pounds this is perfect. They really don't feel deprived. I also gave this to a friend who just started WW and she couldn't wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe.

Lori
    100lbs gone on 6-16-06

SW 284.6/CW 174.4/WWGW 150/PGW 135
    110.2 lbs Gone Forever!!!!
    Intentions make all the difference. Being mindful and attentive to your inner state is key to making outward changes that matter and last.