mrszotz Guest

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mary's Porcupine Balls

Recipe By: Mary Zotz
    Serving Size: 9 porcupine balls
    Servings: 8
    Points per serving: 6.9

1 pound extra lean ground beef -- 94%-96% lean
    1 pound extra lean ground pork -- 4% fat (from Trader Joe's)
    1/2 cup finely chopped onions
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon sage
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon powdered bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1 egg
    2 cups long-grain white rice
    46 fluid ounces Vege-10 100% Vegetable Juice Blend (from Trader Joe's)
    water -- as needed

Mix first 16 ingredients (hamburger - egg) together in a bowl. Using a 1 Tablespoon scoop (I use a #60), make 72 meatballs. Roll each meatball in the uncooked rice and place in a cake pan, making 9 rows of 8 meatballs. Sprinkle any remaining rice over the top. Pour the can of vegetable juice over the meatballs, adding water to completely cover meatballs if necessary. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until done. Serving = 9 meatballs

Per Serving: 344 Calories; 5g Fat; 18g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 89mg Cholesterol; 738mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

raidermom Guest

How funny that you posted this. I hadn't had this in a couple of years and just made this last week. I do like the sounds of this recipe better though.......I like the blend of spices in this one......I'll make it this week and let you know!!

Replies

Ok this title made me laugh. I must admit just from the sound of it it doesn't sound appealing LOL...but after looking at the ingredients it sounds good.
    What a gift to share my hearts with the world...and the world with my heart. Proud mother of 2 getting healthy for not only myself, but for them.

Replies

Any suggestions on what you'd serve this with? Veggies or just on their own?

mrszotz Guest

Hi Gillie!! I steamed the Normandy Blend veggies... broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots. We also had salad. I really like to have this over a big salad too

Mary

raidermom Guest

Well, I finally made this one and it was a hit! With the adults that is.........the kids thought it was too spicy....but I expected that. I had my parents over for dinner and they really liked this recipe so I will definitely be making this again. The only thing I changed was the rice, I cut the amount in half and mixed it in with the meat. Old habits die hard.......

Thanks for a great recipe!

Love, Cheryl

mrszotz Guest

I'm so glad you liked it Cheryl!! My kids thought is too spicy too so I'll only use 1/4 t black pepper next time and I might leave out the red pepper

Mary

Replies

Hi everyone..
    I have just joined you and I am really enjoying the posts. I have never done this before so hope I do this right. I had to share about this recipe..about the por :rolleyes: upine meatballs it has been a family favorite for years. The difference is, I don't put in all the spices( will try some though)just use salt, pepper,onions and garlic. Then cover them with diluted tomato soup. Lately I have added chopped cabbage to it and is so delicious. This has to be my favorite meal, so I am happy to see the points for it. I was afraid i would have to give it up. I am finding so much great info on here. thank you!!! I am just starting with the weight watcher points. I have dieted all my life..but... so, hopefully this will work

Replies

I finally tried these last night and didn't have the best results. Part of it is my own fault: I made fewer meatballs than called for. I was way too impatient to use a tablespoon measure [img]smile.gif[/img]

However, the rice ended up falling off the meatballs so it was more of a meatball in rice/tomato sauce mixture. Or is this how it's supposed to turn out? Can someone please advise?

I really loved the taste of the meatballs but I'm wondering if this can be made without the rice and then possibly serve them over rice after they're cooked.