OK, here's the most ambrosial pot roast I've ever had. I'm posting the original recipes then making notes at the end as to what I did. And no, I didn't "point" it, cuz there's too mamy variables. I served myself 3 oz of meat and 2 Tbsp of gravy and counted it as 6 points.

Merlot Pot Roast
Source: Cooking Light board
Prep/cook time 8/12 to 9 1/2 hrs on low, 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hrs on high in crock pot

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 tied fat trimmed boned beef chck roast (3-31/2 lb)
fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
3 carrots (about 1/4 lb. each ) rinsed and peeled
1 onion (1/2 lb), peeled and chopped
2/3 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 dried bay leaf
1 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
1/3 cup canned tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Rinse beef, pat dry, and sprinkle generously all over with fresh ground pepper. Melt butter in a 10-12 inch nonstickfrying pan over high heat. When hot, add beef and brown wekk on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.

Meanwhile, cut carrots into sticks about 3/8 inch thick and 2 inches long. In a 4 1/2 quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine carrots, onion, celery,garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Set beef on vegetables: add drippings. In a small bowl, mix wine and tomato paste; pour over meat and vegetables.

Cover and cook until beef is very tender when pierced, 8 to 9 hours on low, 5 to 6 hours on high. If possible, turn meat over halfway through cooking.

With 2 slotted spoons, transfer meat to a platter; keep warm. Skim and discard any fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with a 1 1/2 tablespoons water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, 10-15 minutes.

OK - now here's what I did. I sprayed a dutch oven with Pam. I put in 1 tsp of olive oil and browned the roast well. I threw in the celery and onions and let them cook, then added the garlic. Then I added the carrots and added potatoes cut in chunks. I poured the sauce (wine and tomato paste) over all, after having added the seasonings. Then I cooked it on the stove top on low for 2 1/2 hours. I let it cool, sliced the meat, weighed out portions and measured out the gravy.

I didn't do the cornstarch thing - the gravy was thick enough on its own.

Kimba