Thread: Cabbage Roll Casserole

I got this off the WW community recipe site. We really liked it, and its easy to make. Serves 6

1 1/2 lbs, very lean ground beef (24 points for 96% lean) drained and rinsed
    2 med. onions, chopped (0 points)
    5 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, pepper, ( I didn't use that much garlic)
    1 16oz can tomatoe sauce (2 points)
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup uncooked rice (not instant) (6 points)
    6 cups shredded cabbage

Brown gr. beef just until it looses its pink color. Drain if necessary. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper, tomatoe sauce and water. Bring to simmer. Add rice and cook for about 10 min. until rice is partially cooked. Remove from heat. Spread half of cabbage in greased (Pam) deep dish (I used a 9X13) Cover with meat and last layer of cabbage. Do not stir. cover with foil tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hr. or until cabbage is done. I only baked mine for an hour, and it was done all the way through.

total points 32
    points per serving: 5.3
    points will depend on leanest of meat. I did not count any points for the cabbage or onions!
    Hope you enjoy this!
    Mary
    SW 296<br />CW 236 1/2<br />Dr.s goal 180<br />Marys goal 150<br /><br />A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.<br />Mary

This sounds great and so much easier than rollin those things.
    Thanks
    Dawn
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

Yum! I'm thinking rehydrated TVP in place of beef and bulgur in place of rice--that will lower the points a bit!

Char

Replies

Char: That's exactly what I was thinking! I could use up some of the vulgar bulgar that I bought!! That should really bring some of those points down.
    JeanetteSki

I am also thinking Boca crumbles in place of beef. I haven't been able to find bulgar in the supermarkets here though. I'm going to take a trip over to Trader Joe's to look for it.

I think this recipe looks pretty darn good! I'm going to try it.

Thanks,
    Dawna

raidermom Guest

I make this ALL the time.....I just love it. I usually have to make two pans of it! I will say I use that much meat for the two pans...so it's definitely something you can cut back on, depending on how many points you want to use.

OK, it was HIT! DH says, "Make this one AGAIN!" AND, it's SO low points that he can get his fill - he definitely is a "volume eater" - so give it a try.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cabbage Roll Casserole with TVP

Recipe By : Tweaked by Charski
    Serving Size : 6 - 2 points per serving!!

3 cups tvp -- rehydrated (1.5 cups dry)
    2 med. onions -- chopped
    5 garlic cloves -- minced
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1 cup water
    1 cup bulgur, cooked
    6 cups cabbage -- shredded (half a large head)
    1/2 cup cheese, Myzithra, grated

Over medium high heat, combine onions, garlic, salt and pepper, tomato sauce and water. Bring to simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes til onions are translucent. Remove from heat. Add rehydrated TVP and cooked bulgur. Spread half of cabbage in greased (Pam) 9" x 13" baking dish. Cover with TVP mixture. Sprinkle with Myzithra cheese; top with remaining cabbage. Do not stir. Cover with foil tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; uncover and turn off heat and let sit another 20 minutes.

NOTE: Myzithra is like a very tasty Greek-style Parmesan. If you can't find it try Parmesan, adjust points accordingly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 116 Calories; 2g Fat (13.0% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 931mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Vegetable.

Char

Replies

Charski~

What are the points on myzithra? Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img] Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Carol, it runs 2 points per 4 tablespoons (or 1/4 cup) so the total in this recipe is 4 points worth. Yummy stuff too!

Char

peachplus Guest

Just made the casserole Charski's way and it was great with the TVP and bulgar. I didn't have the cheese so used veggie shred's instead.

Replies

Had trouble finding this thread, but I did it!! I made this casserole tonight, and it was wonderful! I couldn't even hardly taste the bulgar, which for me a good thing. But DH ate two, count 'em, two helpings!! I couldn't even finish one portion myself. I did, however, make one or two alterations to fit my schedule. I sauted the cabbage before it went into the oven to cut down on cooking time. An hour in the oven is too long for me. I have to have something that takes less time, so sauting the cabbage and onions worked for me. It only had to stay in the oven for 30 min. that way. It was very tasty and will be a repeater at my house. Thanks again, Char!
    JeanetteSki

Charski does it again!!!!!!
    Am I the only one who, when I see a recipe that Charski has posted or tweaked, I add it to my "make next" list?
    I just made this using Charski's tweaked version and it was WONDERFUL! So filling! I used the boca soy crumbles though b/c I don't have any TVP yet
    I am a volume eater and I'm always on the look out for these types of recipes
    Its worth every ounce of determination and self-discipline required to make this a lifestyle!
    Highest weight:258
    Current weight: 158

OK I made this and it is very good, but the next time I'm addng Hungarian paprika and saurkraut to make it taste more like stuffed cabbage rolls (like mama made)
    lose 7.6 by Oct 2019

GingerIsMyPuppy Guest

WOW! So many versions of this wonderful-sounding recipe! I don't know which one to try.

I made this for dinner tonight. Double yum! I played with the recipe to make it taste more like my mom's cabbage rolls, adding artificial sweetener and lemon juice in addition to the garlic, S&P. I cooked the whole thing on top of the stove. It was sooo good! and I used 300 grams of veal, uncooked, for the whole recipe, as well as half a shredded cabbage, a sliced onion, a large carrot, 4 cloves of garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, a cup of uncooked rice and a 19-oz can of tomato juice.

Replies

Ok I am going to try this one. I think i will try the original recipe with soem minor adjustments.
    SW 178<br />CW 137<br />GW 134<br /> Reached goal on 9/02. Recommitted 12/30. Goal by 2/16...cruise vacation !<br />If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

This does sound good. Anyone have the mocked cabbage roll recipe that was around Christmas time. It was also a keeper but, silly me, lost it. Karyn [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Joined WW at 163 - 1 Jul 02<br />Made goal at 140 - 30 Sep 02<br />138 - 21 Oct 02<br />137.5 - 28 Oct<br />Lifetime: 137 - 4 Nov<br />14 Nov: 136.5<br />1 Aug: 140; 1 Sep: 135, Mar 04: 131,Apr04 - 126.5

angela the achiever Guest

I tried the Charski version of this recipe and loved it! The portion size is absolutely huge and very filling, It's incredible that each serving is only 2 pts. The taste reminds me of a stuffed pepper filling, so next time maybe I'll try sauteeing chopped green pepper in the pan with cooking spray for a couple minutes before adding the other ingredients. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

It was my first time using TVP and I'm amazed and how meaty it is, I'll definitely use it more often as a meat replacement.

I made the Cabbage Roll Casserole tonight for dinner. It was very good and the portions were very generous. I am glad I located this recipe on this site. Thank you! Emme

Replies

This recipe sounds great and so much easier than stuffing cabbage leaves. My husband loves cabbage rolls, but I never make them because I think they are a pain. I will be trying this real soon. I've been reading stuff on rehydrated TVP, but I still don't quite understand. Where do you find it?

Can anyone help me I need to know what TVP is. Some-one is substituding this in one of the recipes for cabbage casserole.

Char, you have done it again. I made your version and it was fantastic.

Sarah
    Sarah

196.8/173/150/140
    Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.
    5-9-08 Began Core
    10-25-08-Made goal
    12-4-08-Made Lifetime
    11-29-09-Starting again

BUMP IT UP for Dawna!

Char

Thanks, Char.. I'm making this tonight! It looks perfect for that big ol' head of cabbage.

printing out......

Hugs,
    Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby