Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Char's Meatloaf with TVP - 3 points/slice

For my good buddy WWCarol! Here ya go, pal!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Char's Meatloaf with TVP

Recipe By : Charski
    Serving Size : Makes 24 slices, 3 points each

3 pounds ground sirloin (7% or less fat)
    3 cups Dry TVP
    1 Tablespoon beef bouillon granules or paste-style beef stock base
    3 cups water -- boiling
    1 egg
    1/2 cup egg beaters® 99% egg substitute
    2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    1 cup wheat bran
    1 medium onion -- chopped
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    2 teaspoons dried oregano -- crushed
    1/4 cup fat free half-and-half

Add the beef bouillon (or paste style beef stock base) to the boiling water and stir til dissolved. Stir in the dry TVP and mix well. Put in refrigerator to cool.

In a very large bowl, combine the ground sirloin, egg, eggbeaters, worcestershire sauce, wheat bran, onion, garlic and seasonings. Mix well, using hands, being as light as possible so as not to toughen the meat.

When thoroughly combined, add the rehydrated TVP and again mix well but gently til well blended.

Lightly pack meatloaf mixture into 3 loaf pans, approx. 4" x 8" size, which have been sprayed with Pam.
    Line a broiler pan with foil and place the broiler rack on the pan. Unmold the meatloaves and place on broiler rack so that any fat can drip through to the foil. NOTE: This is SO lean, you COULD roast the meatloaves right in the loaf pans if you want - I happen to like the crusty parts that happen when direct heat reaches as much surface area as possible, so I always unmold mine before baking.

NOTE 2: Some people like to put catsup or tomato sauce on top of their meatloaf before cooking - hey, knock yourself out! And feel free to add whatever spices YOU and YOUR family like to the meatloaf mixture. Sometimes I add red pepper flakes or some garlic chili paste. Spices it up a bit!

Bake at 350* approx. 1 hour 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing each loaf into 8 equal pieces.

Each slice = 3 points

Description:
    "WW Friendly Meatloaf"
    Yield:
    "3 meatloaves, 8 slices per loaf, 24 total"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 149 Calories; 10g Fat (60.7% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 105mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Note: I obviously like to cook in bulk! I slice and freeze leftovers of this meatloaf. Makes great sandwiches too!

You could halve the recipe if you're not into massive quantities or plenty of leftovers....

Char

Replies

Thanks, Char!

I'm sure this printed recipe will get well-worn and be well-loved! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Check here for some great info on TVP posted by Cybergranny in April:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/cgi-b...63&t=001052&p=

The url link thing isn't working for me, you may need to cut and paste that URL to get it to display in your browser.

Thanks Frisky......I don't know about that "stuff"....I am not big on those kinds of foods....I like the real thing!..Just cutting back amounts, rinsing off fat, etc. works for me.

peachplus Guest

Thanks Char. I think I'll be trying this one out on the barbeque as it is so hot here, to start the oven.

Norma, don't knock it if ya haven't tried it! TVP is a GREAT extender for ground beef - my 20 YO DSS (dear stepson) has been eating it, unknowingly, for a year and half now - and he is the ORIGINAL "beef hound" - his comment on this particular recipe was, "I don't really care for meatloaf, but this is SO GOOD!"

We also feed him TVP as "taco meat" and he does NOT know the difference - he scarfs it up like there's no tomorrow, in tacos and burritos.

It's also much less expensive than extra lean ground beef, gives you some soy (which is good for us gals!) and also packs a pretty good fiber punch in the bargain.

Try it sometime and see what you think!

Char

What's TVP?

Replies

And less expensive in POINTS, too! Right, Char?!

That's what I think is cool!

I was wondering...wonder what would happen if you added cooked bulgar OR cooked wheat berries in place of the wheat bran? Does it trade straight across points-wise? Do you think it would work? Or maybe not hold together as well?...

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] Carol

Carol, I have added bulgur to the meat (mostly because I had leftover bulgur to use up!) but I still use the wheat bran because it's so high in fiber for so few calories, and helps keep the total points per slice low.

I think the trick in getting it to "stick together" is the one whole egg and the Eggbeaters. I tried it with just straight Eggbeaters and then it seemed to require more liquid - that one egg yolk really helps!

Char

Replies

Okay!.......

Thanks for the tips!! Carol

Replies

Thanks!! I've been wanting a meatloaf recipe that uses half TVP!! Sounds great. I am a "bulk cooker" too! When I make meatloaf I haul out the big bowl and make 6 and pop them the freezer!
    Note to J's Nana... this is real food! I love this stuff. It's cheaper, easier to use, and lower in points than beef. It's wonderful to store, I buy it in bulk and put it in a big glass jar! I made my favorite chili recipe with TVP instead of ground beef and it's only 1.5 points per cup!! Yahhoo!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] Okay.....I'm game...I will try it!!I do trust all of your opinions ..haven't been steered wrong yet....just tell me where to buy it, I have never heard of it.

Norma, you are indeed a brave little soldier! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img] Good for you to be willing to give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I buy mine in bulk at Whole Foods, any health food type store should have it though. Also Bob's Red Mills puts some up in plastic bags, I've seen it at several markets locally. Be sure to read the nutritional info though - the stuff I buy in bulk has 0 fat. Some I've seen have up to 3 grams of fat per serving! Not sure why they add it, maybe for preservation purposes?

Anyway do let us know if you find it, and try it, and what you think of it...as Carol points out, it's a great way to lower points. If you find it and want to try it for tacos, let me know and I'll tell you how I do it!

Char

Replies

http://www.bulkfoods.com is where I buy my TVP. I just dropped them a note to get the facts on the product to figure points. I thought they were all the same until I just read the post saying some had fat! :eek: Anyway.. they have been a great place to order from and shipping is very reasonable!
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

KansasLaura, please post when you find out what the nutritional info/ingredients are on that bulk TVP - I'd be interested to see how it compares to what I buy locally!

Char

Replies

I just had to add one more comment to the TVP discussion. My boyfriend is an incredibly picky eater when it comes to "healthy" foods. He has some mental block and swears he can taste a huge difference in lighter foods over the regular ones.

Anyway, one day I used TVP instead of ground beef in the tacos. I also served light sour cream and light cheddar cheese on the side. Everything was OUT of the package though.

He scarfed FIVE tacos down without noticing a thing.
    Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

Gillie, LOL! That definitely falls under the heading of "What they don't know don't hurt 'em!"

That's how we do with DSS. We just don't tell him he's eating it. I had to really stifle myself at Christmas - he was busy telling my sister how we eat all this soy stuff, and he'll eat tofu in miso soup but that's where he DRAWS THE LINE! Little did he know how much TVP he's consumed in tacos, green enchiladas, meatloaf....Tee hee!

I also snuck some tofu in on both DSS and DH - I took half a block of it and crumbled it with a fork, and drained a can of water-packed tuna into it and let it sit in the tuna water for about half an hour - then I drained the tofu and added the tunafish to it and mixed it up as usual with FF mayo, capers, chopped sweet onion, green pepper, and jalapenos. Now normally I don't try to "trick" DH because he's usually in on it, but this time I decided to say nuttin' to nobody - and nobody knew any different! So I lowered the points by using the light tofu and got some more SOY into the boys without them being any the wiser for it!!

Char

Replies

Ha - I love it, Charski! I have to say, the only way to get my guy to eat foods like this is to do it the sneaky way. He turns his nose up automatically otherwise. I told him he needs to memorize the Dr. Suess book, Green Eggs & Ham.

Wow - and what a great idea on the tofu mixed with tuna! I'm going to have to give that one a try too!
    Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

Bump for LauraH

Bumping!
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Replies

Char, can i use skim milk instead of no fat 1/2 and 1/2? - i haven't been able to find it here in my area. Also, have you ever thought about writing a BCB cookbook - like hints on more value for your points etc.? You'd sell 'em like hotcakes (low fat of course)! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Diana [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Lifetime Feb'03

22. Post

Do you think this would be good with ground turkey instead of beef? I don't eat beef and I was thinking I could use the turkey and chicken bouillion instead of beef. I just bought the TVP yesterday and I am excited to try it.
    Thanks,
    Carla
    Carla
    Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6
    CW 167.6
    WW goal 165
    Personal Goal 155

Diana, I'm sure the skim milk would be fine. If you have some powdered nonfat milk around, you might add a tablespoon or two of that with the skim milk - it would "richen it up" a bit! And yes, I HAVE thought about the cookbook, and it's in the "gathering" stages at the moment! One of these days I'll get there... thanks!

Carla, I haven't tried it with ground turkey, but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine if you're used to eating "ground turkey meatloaf" - just rehydrate the TVP with chicken or turkey flavored stock base instead of beef. Let us know how it turns out!

Char

Bumping! Best meatloaf ever!!! And the mixture can be used to make awesome meatballs, as well.
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Bump for rollercoaster and to add to my list of items to try. I must have misplaced the recipe because I have never made it
    Laura
    Joined January 2002
    SW 266.6 Goal 165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast