Thread: Beef Taco Bake

Replies

I made this last night... both DH and I loved it! It was wonderful and very filling. It got it out of a Hearty Casseroles magazine that my grocery store had in the checkout line!

BTW... it's a bit higher in points, but worth it. If anyone has suggesstions for lowering the points, I'm open to them!

Campbell's Beef Taco Bake

1 pound lean ground beef - I got 10 ounces after cooking - 10 points
    1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup - 4 points
    1 cup salsa - 2 points
    1/2 cup milk - I used 1% - 1 point
    3 10" flour tortillas - 11 points - would be less if you used corn tortillas
    1 cup fat free shredded Cheddar cheese - 4 points

Preheat oven to 400. Brown beef and drain off fat - I also pat off with paper towels to remove even more. Cut tortillas into approx 1 each pieces.

In a shallow 2 quart baking dish, combine soup, milk, and salsa. Add beef, 1/2 cup of cheese, and tortilla pieces and mix all together.

Cover and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Makes 4 servings - very large, filling servings!
    8 points per serving, by my calculations.
    Laurie Rose

Next goal - 1st 10%

SW/HW: 277/277 12/22/10
    CW: 275.4
    PG: 150

Campbell's Beef Taco Bake

1 pound lean ground beef - I got 10 ounces after cooking - 10 points
    1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup - 4 points
    1 cup salsa - 2 points
    1/2 cup milk - I used 1% - 1 point
    3 10" flour tortillas - 11 points - would be less if you used corn tortillas
    1 cup fat free shredded Cheddar cheese - 4 points

My first thought would be that the salsa would just be 1 point. I would use the FF flour tortillas for 2 points each, so that would be 6 points. So that saves you 6 points on the whole recipe. So, 4 servings would be 7 points each - a little better.

Replies

You could save yourself 4 more pts. if you were to substitute half of the meat for TVP at only 1 pt. per cup. Believe me, you won't know the difference!
    JeanetteSki

Replies

JeanetteSki,

Uhmmm... what's TVP?????
    Laurie Rose

Next goal - 1st 10%

SW/HW: 277/277 12/22/10
    CW: 275.4
    PG: 150

Replies

YUM..YUM..YUM..

Rose this sounds just wonderful! I can't wait to give it a try. My homemade salsa is 0 points and I will use ff condenced milk along with 1 1/2 point tortillas. We don't use ff cheese so I will sub part skim Mozzarella (sp?). Thanks for the recipe...

Sharon

Replies

RoseSwissy: TVP stands for Textured Vegetable Soy Protein. It's a meat substituted and very good. I always add it to my ground beef receipes to bring down the points, plus it's a soy protein and very good for you. Mine comes in granule form and I reconstitute it usually l:l ratio. I reconstitute it in beef boullion water. It's lpt per cup, really low. Usually found in the health food aisle at the local market. I buy it in bulk form from the internet, it's cheaper. This way, I can cut out about half of the points I have to count in my casseroles for ground beef. Also works well for tacos or anything that calls for ground beef.
    JeanetteSki

Replies

I, too have been a fan of TVP even before I got OP. I get mine from www.bulkfoods.com. I made a pot of my regular recipe chili last week subbing in all TVP for the ground beef and no one could tell the difference!! Got that recipe down to just a smidge over 2 points per cup!!!
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

i made this for dinner two nights ago! it was excellent!!! my daughter loved it!! this is defenetely a keeper!

You could also use Lean ground Turkey Breast....
    I would use Corn tortillas verses Flour.. It's lower in fat & I don't care Flour Tortillas cause they get gummy... [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img]

Sounds so good, think I'll add it to my recipes.

Karyn
    Joined WW at 163 - 1 Jul 02<br />Made goal at 140 - 30 Sep 02<br />138 - 21 Oct 02<br />137.5 - 28 Oct<br />Lifetime: 137 - 4 Nov<br />14 Nov: 136.5<br />1 Aug: 140; 1 Sep: 135, Mar 04: 131,Apr04 - 126.5

looks great! bumping up!
    lisa
    GOD BLESS,
    LISA M

looks great! bumping up!
    lisa
    GOD BLESS,
    LISA M

Question on this...

You really just mix everything together like a thick soup and then bake it? The tortillas or chees aren't layered or anything?

Sorry, but this sounds a little gross. I would like to try this because it sounds easy and the ingredients are yummy, but I'd like to hear from someone who made it. Did your family eat it?

Thanks!

slave2cats Guest

Junglejoy - you obviously haven't tried GLOP yet LOLOLOLOL

I don't see why you couldn't layer the ingredients ending with some of the cheese on top. If you like all the ingredients, then how could the mix be bad, right?

Replies

This looks really good and easy. You could save 4 points using the TVP, and 4 more if you use WW tortillas, the kind I buy are only 2 pts each. Then if you used 0 pt salsa. You could get this down to 5 pts.

Tam
    TBONE<br />*** *** *** ***<br />Do what you say, say what you mean.<br /> The Fix<br />Ya Ya Name<br />Viscountess Quick Rabbit <br /> <br />GW Size 8 Petite, Loosely! <br /><br />My Personal Goal: Lose inches, exercise 3-4 days a week and be HAPPY with who I am!

Default Re: Beef Taco Bake

loved this so much i am bumping up
    GOD BLESS,
    LISA M