Low Fat Beef Chili

I created this to find something hearty and to satisfy my husband's chili craving. I even made it for my picky kids, siblings, and my mother. Everyone loved it!!

10 oz lean beef, either cubed or ground
1 c. dry rice
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 5.5oz / 156 ml can tomato paste
1 28 oz/ 796 can tomatoes, crushed with your fingers
1 can kidney beans, drained (optional)
2 c. water
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
chili powder, to taste

1. Spray a Dutch oven or large pot with cooking spray. Brown meat on medium high heat, sprinkling chili powder on the meat while browning (it locks in the flavor).
2. Add onion and celery and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Add in rice, stirring until lightly toasted, about 30 -60 seconds.
4. Stir in tomato paste and mix quickly. You want the tomato paste to become a little toasted as well.
5. Mix in the can on tomatoes and the beans if using. Add water, stir, bring to a bubble and cover.
6. Immediatly turn the heat down to low, and simmer for about 35 minutes, or until rice is very tender. Check and stir frequently. Scrape the stuck rice off the bottom of the pot.
7. After 35 minutes (or when rice is tender), add the seasonings and stir. Taste for correct amount and serve when you like the results.

N.B. If the chili is too watery, let it stand for a few minutes uncovered until the water is absorbed. Other things can be added as well: green pepper, carrots, other veggies you like. I don’t know how many cups this makes, I just eyeball the portions. The whole pot is 24 points.

1/3 recipe= 8.5 points
1/3 w/ beans= 9.5 points
1/4 recipe =6.5 points

Jeannette :rolleyes: