From Laurdee

Texas Hash Entree

A hearty casserole that travels well.
Total Servings: 8 Points per Serving: 5

1.5 lbs ground round (trimmed of all fat before grinding)
3 large onions diced (about 2.5 cups or to taste)
1 large green pepper diced (about 1 cup or to taste)
1 x 2 z can whole tomatoes (broken up)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp ground cummin seed
3 Tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 1/3 cups long grain rice (not instant)

Heat oven to 350F.
Spray large non-stick pan with cooking spray.
Cook ground steak, onions and green pepper until vegetables are tender and no pink remains in the meat.

Add remaining ingredients and stir together.
Pour into a 3 litre casserole (that has been sprayed with cooking spray), cover and bake for 1 hour.

Check after 30 minutes and add water if needed. I find it usually takes about one more cup of liquid in addition to the juice in the canned tomatoes.

If you use lean ground beef, you will have to add additional points. You can lower the points a little by using brown rice instead of white. This makes 8 x 1.5cup servings (5 points each) or 12 x 1 cup servings (3.5 points each). You can make this as spicy or as mild as you like by adjusting the spices. The above amounts make for only medium "heat". This casserole is good for taking to a potluck buffet. It also freezes well. This is very much like taco salad and is nice served in crisp lettuce cups or with a nice side salad.

A note from Laurie: I'm not really into "hot" food, so I only used 1/4 tsp chili powder. I, also, added a pkg of sliced mushrooms!