Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peach Angel Food Cake

I made this for DH yesterday. I have tried some of the others that are made with Cherry pie filling, etc., but he always complains that the top of the cake is chewy. Not so with this recipe. He declared this one of the tastiest cakes he has ever had (and he's very skeptical of anything low fat).

1-box Betty Crocker 1-step Angel Food cake
    1-29 oz. can diced peaches in light syrup

In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix, peaches and juice (do not add water). Mix well.

Pour into whatever baking pan you are using (do not grease or flour). Bake according to directions on cake box. I used one of those flat, longish, cake pans that comes with the plastic cover.

I found this great recipe at Cakerecipe.com
    It has received 5-star reviews from everyone.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Just printed this out I'm always looking for recipes to copy and take to my WW meetings
    Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

Replies

A similar recipe was on the weight watcher site using blueberry pie filling. I made this today and it is very good. I refigured the points and for 18 slices in a pan it is 2 points on the line. I guess if you don't like living on the edge, cut the cake into 20 pieces.

Dawn

Replies

Sounds wonderful. Do you cool the cake upside down? The reason I'm asking is that many angel food cake recipes tell you to do that.

Replies

Another question....do you cut the peach slices into smaller pieces before you stir them and the juice into the dry mix?

Replies

Hi Roz, saw your questions and had to put in my 2 cents--Yes I always turn my angel cakes upside down to cool(the 1 time I didn't, I had trouble getting it out of the pan) I made the peach angel cake last night, I didn't cut the peaches any smaller and my family loved it. Of course they also put rreal whip cream on top of their piece. [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Your CA buddySharon/Parklady Life time: 7-24- 01 Lost 42.2 #**********************************"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." **********************************

Hi, Sorry it took me so long to answer.

Yes, I also tip the pan, either upside down, or to the side, to get the cake out.

I did cut up the peach slices. I drained the juice from the can first, and added it to the cake mix, as the liquid, and then when that was mixed, I folded in the peach slices.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

Thanks Dawna and Sharon. I may try this recipe this weekend.

BTW, it snowed here today. First time in Nashville in over a year. The streets are wet so they sent the kids home at 2:15. Unbelievable!

Roz

Replies

This is soo yummy.I am NOT a cook as most of ya know lol.The first time i made this was with pinapple chunks, it was good but a little wet, this time I am making it with pinapple that is crushed, sooo ..much better.Yummy, again thanks.
    ~~~~~Barbie~~~~
    Not giving up~~~~~

Replies

This is soo yummy.I am NOT a cook as most of ya know lol.The first time i made this was with pinapple chunks, it was good but a little wet, this time I am making it with pinapple that is crushed, sooo ..much better.Yummy, again thanks.
    ~~~~~Barbie~~~~
    Not giving up~~~~~

Replies

I have made this cake with pineapple chunks instead of peaches and it is wonderful.
    Can't wait to try it with the peaches.
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Tracey
    Tracey
    highest weight: 296
    Restart WW: 286.2
    Current Weight:270
    100 Days of Exercise Challenge: 28/100

TOTAL LOSS: 16.2

12. Post

Can you freeze this cake?

That's a good question & one I don't have the exact answer to. I think I would try freezing a small piece of it to see what happens.

Let us know if it works for you.

later.
    Dawna

Sometimes I think I must be missing the cooking gene [img]graemlins/odear.gif[/img] !

I made this last night and it bombed! It cooked on top but all the peaches went to the bottom (I made it in a 9 x 13 pan) When I cut it, it seemed like it was raw on the bottom even though the top inch was cooked.

Anyway--any ideas what I did wrong? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    Opus99

Opus99,
    Hi I usually make the angle food cake(s) all varieties into muffins or cupcakes. Just use cupcake papers and they come out fine. I have yet to have a problem with them except that they are so good it is hard to eat just 1 or 2. In cupcake form I usually get 36 cupcake size muffins which would be 1 point each.

horseshow mom

SW: 201
    CW: 150
    GW: 144

Dawna, do you happen to know the points for the peach angel food cake? It sounds great!

Judy
    [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Wow this sounds great, both with peaches and pineapple. I can't wait to make it for my birthday. DH just asked me what I wanted for a cake and I said let's skip it, but now I want that cake. This also reminds me that My Darling Mother used to make me angel food cake every year for my birthday....I'm wondering if the WW thing so close to the New Years Resolution thing causes any correlation???LOL

I've made this cake with One Step Angel Food Cake mix and a jar of Del Monte peaches in light juice. I cut up the peaches. I baked it in a 9 x 13 lasagne pan that has higher sides. I turned it upside down to cool rested on the corners by 4 cans. My cake ended up all over the counter. This is the third time this has happened to me so you'd think I would have learned by now. I salvaged the cake by breaking up the cake and putting it into a glass 9 by 13 dish. covered it with instant lemon pudding and when set frosted it with f/f Cool Whip.
    ann p

SheriBabi Guest

Sounds great!! I'm going to try this one this weekend.

Replies

I made this cake because of all the rav reviews that it got, and I have to tell you that I got the same results as Opus99. REALLY BAD. And I don't think I'm missing the cooking gene, either. My things don't ususally turn out this bad. The really bad part was that I was supposed to be making this for my boss' birthday cake! What a laugh. I had to stop and buy one at the local supermarket. HA!! It was pretty sad Maybe I'll have better luck next time.
    JeanetteSki

East Amherst, NY (a suburb of Buffalo, NY)
    Replies

Sounds great, Dawna! Can't wait to try this as well as the versions with pineapple and cherries. Can you tell me how many servings and points this cake has? Also, I've never baked an angel food cake before--if it's not a good idea to cool this cake upside down (I suspect the fruit makes it too heavy and it falls out of the pan), how should I cool this cake if I'm baking it in a 9x13" pan?

Thanks!
    Michele

I have made this with crushed pineapple and it is very good. I always make it in a 9X13 pan and I never turn it upside down. Just leave it and let it cool and it turns out perfect everytime.
    ------------------<br />Dawn<br />247/165/140<br />The past cannot be changed; the future is still in your power.

I would like [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] to try this again but as I mentioned in a previous post, when I made this, it really failed. The peaches sank to the bottom and only the top inch was cooked.

Could someone give me some advice on how to do this. I love peaches and I think this would fill the bill. Help!!!

Hi, I have been thinking about why this didn't turn out right for you. I'm thinking that maybe the size of your peach pieces were too large. Try making the pieces smaller (chopping them up a bit). Also, make sure you just mix the peaches & juice in with a spatula. This doesn't take a lot of mixing. Your peaches were in either a light syrup or natural juices, right?
    If you try the cake again, please let me know what happens.

With regard to the questions others have asked on how to get this out of the pan correcly, I don't take it out of the pan at all. I bake all my angel food cakes in one of those 9 x 13 pans that come with the lid. I keep the cake right in the pan after baking, cool it in the pan, serve it from the pan, and simply use the cover to keep it nice.

Someone in a previous post also asked about the points for this recipe. It makes 14 servings at 3=points/ serv.

Dawna

I am new to this site, but I am already excited. Been on ww for 6 weeks. This angel food cake w/peaches sounds great, could always mix half pineapple and half peaches. I have always made my angel food cakes in an actual angel food pan, not very expensive, always hang on a bottle, make sure it won't fall off. I am going to make this for one of my Easter desserts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast