Thread: Chocolate chocolate chip cookies -- 2 points

Replies

Correction: These are 2 points each (per the points finder) - the WW book was wrong.
    I tried these last night & they were excellent. They have a great consistency & are a good size.

Chocolate Chip Cakies
    Simply the Best, pg. 241

2 c flour
    1/4 c unsweetened cocoa, sifted
    1 t baking soda
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1/4 c unsalted stick margarine
    1/3 c fat free egg substitute
    3/4 c plain lowfat yogurt (I used vanilla flavored)
    1 t vanilla
    1 c semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl, combine 1st 4 ingredients. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at high speed, beat the sugar, margarine & egg substitute until light & fluffy. With the mixer at low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, yogurt, vanilla, and chocolate chips; stir until just combined.

Drop dough by tablespoons onto 2 ungreased baking sheets, making 24 cookies. Bake until firm, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack; store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.

Points per serving: 2
    jendear75
    Returned Lifetime member

http://2011istheyear.wordpress.com/

jendear75 - Hi! Thanks for sharing the chocolate chip cookies recipe. [img]smile.gif[/img] However, would you be able to recalculate the points to make sure it's correct? I thought a couple of months ago that someone on another board posted this recipe as printed in the cookbook, then someone else said that they also had the cookbook, but that the point values were printed incorrectly. I'd appreciate it if you could double-check the points. However, if you're unable to, I'll just double-check the points whenever I make these. They do sound yummy.

Sandi

Replies

I am pretty sure they are 2 points as per the cookbook. It listed the calories as 93 and the fiber at 1 gm. so that works out to 2 points. They must have misprinted it. But they are wonderful and they freeze really well my son loves them too. They are almost like a brownie cookie. You could try to make them smaller and then that would work out to only 1 point a cookie.

Brenda

Replies

Doesn't Simply The Best calculate points using the *1-2-3's* older-fiber calculations? Maybe that explains the discrepancy. Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Brenda and Carol - Thanks for responding. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Brenda - Thanks for the nutritional info. I'll note it down. Now that you've given me more of a description of the cookie, I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Carol - Nice to see a familiar face. [img]smile.gif[/img] If Simply the Best uses 1.2.3 Success, then that would explain the point differences.

I am going to order this cookbook, so I'm looking forward to receiving it and trying the recipes.

Sandi

Replies

:eek: I ended up throwing my batch out because they were a trigger food, so I probably won't be making them again. I'd hate to give out wrong information, though. I'll check when I get home.
    jendear75
    Returned Lifetime member

jendear75, dont give up on them just yet. Being me, I just had to play around with the recipe---it's a bit more complicated but is truely 1 point the way I made them.

Chocolate chocolate chip cookies, amended

1 1/2 cup flour or whole wheat pastry flour(I like using the pastry flour because it has 4 g fiber per serving)
    1/2 cup wheat bran
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teas salt
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup splenda
    1/4 cup Imperial reduced fat stick margarine
    1/3 cup egg substitue
    3/4 cup fat-free yogurt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup vanilla chips
    1/4 cup dried cherries
    1/4 cup chopped nuts
    Made and bake as directed.
    Make 24 cookies to get 1 point cookies

Replies

Oh no – I threw them out because I could tell they were going to cause a binge if I didn’t. I wanted them in the worst way for breakfast one morning. Your version looks good, though, JeanneJ.
    jendear75
    Returned Lifetime member

Replies

They are great Jenbear! I haven't made them for awhile but I think I might whip up a batch today!! The kids will be home early from school and that will take care of most of them then I will freeze them! That helps keep me from just taking one when I go to the kitchen for something. Hard to eat a frozen cookie! LOL

Have a great day!!

Brenda

Replies

ArrgH! I can't find whole wheat pastry flour up here in the "Land Barren Of Decent Baking Products"!!! Jendear, does it have to be pastry flour? There are still 2 more stores could try, but it involves a longer drive than I have time for while the monkey children are in kindergarten.

Jeannette :eek:
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Replies

My problem is moderation. The recipe sounds great, but then I need to get them out of the house. What about the rest of you? Sue.
    "If you only work towards losing weight when you FEEL like it, you're going to be overweight for the rest of your life." ~ Phil McGraw

Replies

Mine didn’t require pastry flour – JeanneJ’s did. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ok, I checked my book & it said 1 point each, but you are absolutely right: with 93 calories & 1 gram of fiber, the ones I posted should be 2 points. I never checked on my points finder because I figured a cookbook by WW would be correct. Well, that just shows you have to always double check the points on your finder: even on WW materials. I guess it was a typo, but I’ll be checking WW recipe points from now on. :rolleyes:

As I understand it, the only change they made to fiber was capping it at 4 grams on the points finder. Since this recipe has only 1 gram, I don’t think it would make a difference on last year’s points or this year’s points.

Goodcook: As I said, I had to throw them out because they were a trigger food. Chocolate usually is for me, so I’m better off not making these.
    jendear75
    Returned Lifetime member

Ottermom, no it doesn't have to be ww pastry flour---regular ww flour will do---maybe throw in a couple extra tablespoons of wheat bran. I've become addicted to the pastry flour because it does have 1 gram more fiber than regular, and is a softer flour which makes cakes cookies, quick breads, muffin a bit more tender.

I'm about to have a panic attack since the grocery store where I've been buying it, hasn't had any for the past several weeks!!

jendear75 - Thanks for checking and letting us know. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sandi

Replies

Oops!! Sorry, Jendear75 and JeanneJ! I apologize for my mistake! I've been rushing lately and my mind hasn't seem to have caught up with me yet.

Jeanette :eek:
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood