Thread: Baked Ziti - Italian Style - Low Fat

If anyone can figure out the points for this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Cheree

Baked Ziti - Italian Style - Low Fat

1 pkg. ziti or rigatoni
    1 large onion -- chopped
    2 medium zucchini -- trimmed and diced
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes with juice -- undrained
    2 tsp. Italian seasoning mix

1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes -- or to taste
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    1 (15 oz.) container fat-free ricotta cheese
    2/3 cup fat-free mozzarella cheese -- or low-fat
    1/2 cup fat-free Parmesan cheese -- grated

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add ziti, and cook 10-12 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 325░F. Lightly coat a 13x9" baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a large nonstick pan, over medium heat, saute the onion, zucchini, and garlic, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and their puree, the Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a small bowl, blend together the ricotta cheese and egg substitute. Mix until smooth.

Place the drained pasta in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Cover with a layer of ricotta cheese and top with the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

I will try and help as much as I can. The Ricotta is 4 points for 1 cup so for the whole recipe I would call it 8 points. Egg substitute is 2 points. Onions are 1 point for 1 cup. If a whole onion is onecup then it is one point but adjust acordingly. Tomatoes are 0 points butIam not sure if they are in water or oil. Oil would change that. Zucchini is zero too. I am not sure on the mozzarella and the pamersan cheese. I would need the fat, fiber and calories to help you out. This looks great I might have to try it. I believe seasonings are 0 but watch the salt. Hope I helped a little. If you need more help let me know

Lori
    Sw-172
    Cw-159
    Gw-140
    Personal Goal- 130
    Lori<br /><br />180/140/125

Heres your recipe I ran it through Mastercook .You didn't say how many servings But 1 bag of pasta usually is 16 ounces and 2 oz . is a serving so I put 8 servings.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Ziti-Italian Style-Low Fat

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    16 ounces ziti pasta
    1 large onion -- chopped
    2 medium zucchini -- trimmed and diced
    3 cloves garlic
    28 ounces crushed tomatoes -- with juice undrained
    2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup Egg Beaters« 99% egg substitute
    15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
    2/3 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup fat-free Parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Bring pot of water to boil, add ziti and cook 10 -12 minutes until done but firm drain and set aside.
    Preheat the oven to 325║F. Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with spray.

In a large non stick pan over med. heat saute onion,zucchini and garlic stirring for 1 minute.Stir in tomatoes and their puree , the italian seasoning,and pepper flakes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the veggies are very soft.Season with salt and peppe rto taste.

In a small bowl blend together the riccotta cheese and egg substitute. Mix until smooth.
    Place the drained pasta in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Cover with a layer of ricotta cheese and top with the tomato mixture,Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until gloden brown on top and bubbly.Let stan 5 minutes before cutting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 333 Calories; 1g Fat (3.4% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 390mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"When we go back to the Old way of eating ,
    we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown
    Dawn

Thank you so much Lori and Dawn!

With 333 calories; 1 gram fat; 4 grams fiber, it comes to approx. 6 points per serving!
    Get set with the right mind set.