Hi [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wanted to add more complex carbs to my menu, so I got some whole wheat elbow macaroni and whipped up a batch of mac and cheese. I, also, used 1% milk and Kraft 2% Shredded Cheddar (which is LF but taste and texture are excellent). [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope you may enjoy this recipe, too!

-Cherie

Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheddar Cheese

(Recipe from Cherie)

16 oz box Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
1/2 cup Fleischman's Soft Margarine, unsalted
1/2 cup Pillsbury unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp pepper -- (1/4 to 1/2)
1/4 tsp ground mustard (dry) -- (1/4 to 1/2)
1/2 tsp Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce
4 cups 1% milk
2 cups Kraft 2% Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
2 cups Kraft 2% Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

(NOTE: Of course, you can use 4 cups of either variety of the Kraft 2% shredded Cheddar cheeses instead of mixing them as I did. Some stores do sell these cheeses in bricks, so it is more economical if you can buy it that way and shred it yourself, too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Directions:
Cook macaroni as directed on package. (I cooked it for 12 minutes, so it was very tender but not mushy.)

While macaroni is cooking, melt margarine in 6-quart saucepan over low heat.

Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcester shire sauce.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.

Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

Turn off heat. Add the cheese to the mixture. Gently, keep stirring in the cheese until it is melted and completely blended. (You may have to put it on a very low heat to melt it all, though mine melted and blended into the mixture without any additional cooking.

Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. It can be eaten now, as all ingredients are fully cooked - - or, you may prefer it baked:

To bake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees -
Pour mixture into large (2 quart) baking pan.
Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.

Yield: 12 cups
1 cup = 8 WW points + 360 mg sodium

Serving suggestion:
side of steamed broccoli

For a heartier meal, 2-3 oz of lean meat or poultry could be served with the pasta -
Of course, that would bring the points for dinner up to 10 or 11 points for the main course...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -