Thread: Anyone know a good basic pesto recipe?

Hi: I've got a ton of basil growing & am wondering if anyone knows of a good, but not too high in points basic pesto recipe. Also am looking for a good bruschetta recipe.

Thanks much,
    Tina
    222/211.5/150
    OP since 5/02
    Tina<br />HW: 222 (5/02)<br />SW: 213 (9/02)<br />CW: 188<br />GW: 150

I don't remember where I got this, and I haven't made it yet, but I sure plan to try it out this summer! If you do try it please post your review here!

Char

WW Style Pesto

1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup ff chicken broth
    3 - 4 cloves garlic

Put everything into food processor and process til it is a thick paste consistency. It should become a nice, bright green color.

Some uses:

1. Heat it up with some tomatoes and toss on
    pasta, along with some parm. cheese.
    2. Use instead of tomato sauce on pizza dough, add tomatoes, chicken, onion, mozz. cheese.
    3. Spread on french bread, sprinkle some parm. cheese and warm up in the oven.

Note:
    It tastes even better the next day!

Thanks much, Charski! Sounds good & low in points. Will give it a shot & let you guys know. Again, thanks!

4. Post

Here's the pesto recipe I use. It has no oil, so it's not the usual consistency of pesto. It's more like a paste, but is delicious tossed with pasta or grilled veggies. I make large quantities when my basil comes in, and freeze the mixture in ice-cube trays. One cube is enough for two servings of pasta, because it's VERY strongly flavored.

1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
    2-5 garlic cloves, peeled (I like 3 or 4)
    1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (don't use the canned kind in this recipe)
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Put everything but the lemon juice into a blender or food processor. Turn the machine on and drizzle in the lemon juice; continue to process until a close-to-smooth paste is formed.

Makes 3/4 cup--14 calories and 1.1 grams of fat per 1/2 Tbsp. (Sorry that I don't have the fiber!)

As for bruschetta, I never use a recipe; I just toast the Italian bread slices without oil (or grill them with just a misting of olive oil), top them, and broil them until hot. But here are a few suggestions: Sometimes I use the traditional finely chopped tomatoes with minced garlic, basil and perhaps a bit of Parmesan; other times I use roasted red and yellow pepper slices with a little fresh rosemary. My husband's favorite is the more-Middle Eastern-than-Italian chopped artichoke hearts and feta cheese. We also like sliced dried figs, gorgonzola or blue cheese, and a drizzle of honey (sounds strange, but it's fantastic).

One thing I've learned about bruschetta (and Italian food in general) is that you can cut the amount of olive oil drastically without affecting flavor too much. When I make bruschetta, I use just a bit of olive oil--say, one teaspoon mixed up with enough chopped tomatoes, garlic and basil for 20 bread slices. It doesn't take much!

Wow--long post! Hope this helps.

Thanks much, Keep It Simple! Really appreciate all of that info. The recipes sound great! I wonder how using the FF chicken broth in your recipe would work (not a big lemon juice fan). Will play around w/these recipes & see what I can come up & will let everyone knows how it turns out. THANKS again!

Replies

I can't wait to try this! Pesto is my son's absolute favorite and when I make it for dinner I've been avoiding it (for obvious reasons :eek: ) but no more. Thanks so much for both recipes.
    Ellen
    SW: 205.4/CW:200.4/GW: 140

7. Post

Tina, I'd imagine the chicken broth would work fine, and so would vegetable broth. In fact, I may give that a try myself, and just add a squirt of lemon juice. Ellen--cool! I hope you like it. Let us know.