Thread: Sausage and Tomato Pasta --delicious!!

This always gets rave reviews, even with my kids and non WW friends:

INGREDIENTS

*12 oz corkscrew pasta (or penne, or whatever you prefer - corkscrew holds the sauce the best.)
    *8 oz mild or hot turkey Italian sausage (It comes looking like hot dogs)
    * 2 cans (14.5 oz each) sliced stewed Italian style tomatoes (we use Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes - Italian Recipe)
    *2 tsp. fennel seeds
    *1 CUP chopped FRESH basil

DIRECTIONS

1. Squeeze sausage from casings onto a plate.
    2. Put turkey sausage into a large preheated pan; cook, stirring to break meat into chunks, until meat is browned (about 6 min.)
    3. Stir in tomatoes (do not drain first; break up large slices with a spoon)
    4. Add fennel seeds
    5. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
    6. Stir in chopped basil.
    7. Add cooked noodles.
    **Works out to be 6 servings at 6 points per serving, including the pasta. (Less servings would equal more points.)

PS. The lean turkey sausage is only 2 points for a good sized link, and it has 12 grams of protein.

Replies

I made something kind of like this tonight. I took 3 links of Butter Ball mild italian turkey sausage and cooked it in my nonstick skillet and then sliced it into rounds and blotted the fat out of them. Then I sauteed green and red bell pepper, onion and mushrooms in the skillet (wiped out the grease before of course) I then added some sugar free spaghetti sauce and the sausage, some basil, oregano, garlic powder and red pepper flakes and heated it all through. We served this over penne' pasta. It came out to closer to 9 points though. My sausage was 4 points per link. The pasta was 4 points per cup (yes, we pigged out) and the sauce added perhaps 1 point. But boy was it good! I'll have to make it again.
    Susan [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Forgot to add that added onions & green peppers to the recipe. Cooked these w/the sausage.
    Tina<br />HW: 222 (5/02)<br />SW: 213 (9/02)<br />CW: 188<br />GW: 150

THANKS much for this recipe. Made it tonight & it was wonderful. Made a couple of changes based on my garden. Used about 1/2 a cup of chopped fresh basil, rather than a full cup & about a 1/4 cup of chopped fresh oregano. Served it to a friend & she couldn't believe this was supposed to be dietetic. Also, this is wonderful for anti-oxidants w/the tomatoes & basil. And even better if you add oregano, as oregano is supposed to be one of the best herbs for anti-oxidants. Next time I may cut back on the sausage, as I think it would still be great (& even less calories) w/a little less.

Thanks again! Tina [img]smile.gif[/img]