This bread recipe was posted by BakerChick on the Breads board:

“Bran Bread
    (NOte) this can be made by hand or in ABM
    1-1/3 c water
    2 c flour
    1c + 2 T wheat bran
    1/2c + 2 T whole wheat flour
    1-1/2 tsp salt *****
    2 tsp instant yeast (if using ABM, if not, use active dry yeast)
    2 T vital wheat gluten*****
    ***** orig recipe called for 2 tsp salt, this I think made it too salty, so I cut it back..Do not omit salt if making in ABM...
    Also, the vital wheat gluten is my addition to help lighten the loaf)
    The book states you will get 12 slices from the loaf @ 112 cal, 1 gr fat, 5 gr fiber... or 1 pt per slice...
    I usually get 15 slices per loaf, but still count them as 1 point...
    This bread is great! No added fats or sugars! & it tastes great, (not like cardboard! ) & is moist.... It doesn't get very browned ( due to lack of sugar & fats) but this inside is a nice wheat color....)
    I do this on the dough cycle of my aBM & bake in a loaf pan @ 350 in oven for 30 min...
    Enjouy
    Jonie “

Just HAD to share what I did with this bread dough today!

I have been hankering for pizza for a couple of weeks, so put the ingredients in the Zo, put it on dough cycle, and let 'er rip. I removed it from the pan before the first rise though, and kneaded it well about 5 minutes, turned it into a bowl sprayed with olive oil flavored Pam, sprayed the top of the dough lightly too, and let it rise in the microwave with a 2 cup measure filled with very hot water.

45 minutes later, it had doubled, so I rolled it out and fit it into a 12" aluminum pizza pan, pressed it down and made a high edge all the way around. I wanted it to rise a bit while I chopped up the veggies for the topping.

Chopped up one green bell pepper, half a sweet onion, and sliced some mushrooms. I spread about 1/2 cup FF marinara sauce over the dough, sprinkled on maybe 2 teaspoons of RF Parmesan, and used 4 oz. mixed shredded cheddar and mozzarella Veggie Shreds soy cheese over that. Next layer, 18 slices RF pepperoni and 10 slices RF salami, a cup of rehydrated TVP which I had made with beef broth, a teaspoon of Good Seasons Garlic Cheese dry salad dressing mix, some oregano, a sprinkle of Bell's Poultry Seasoning (mostly sage), and some dried red pepper flakes, then topped it with the aforementioned veggies. It baked about 20-25 minutes at 450*, til it was just starting to bubble around the edges of the sauce. I cut it into eighths and figured it was about 2.5 points per slice! DH ate half the pizza! He, who was poo-pooing it, turning up his nose and curling his lip beforehand - Mr. "I only eat Papa Murphy's Pizza"...HAH! AND he said it was great! I could only eat 2 pieces and we each had a "pretend" (nonalcoholic) beer, so for 6 points I am STUFFED. I had dished myself up a big green salad to go with but I couldn't eat more than a few bites of it. I will definitely make THAT meal again!

Check the RF pepperoni you can get...it is made by both Gallo and Hormel only one of them is half the calories of the other...I'm too lazy to go see which one is the lowest, I believe it's the Gallo though...18 slices is only 1 point.

WWCarol tried it next, and she put pineapple and black olive slices on one half, and RF turkey pepperoni, burger crumbles, black olives, carmelized onions/peppers/eggplant, with mozarella and parmesean on top - she says it was a HIT!

Give it a try, I'll be making it again this week for sure....

Char

Replies

Char: If you don't mind, I'll come to your house for that pizza. That sounds like alot of work to me! I'm sure it's very good, but wow, it sounds like an awful lot of work just for a pizza. :eek:
    JeanetteSki

C'mon down, girl, but honestly, it wasn't that big a deal...the breadmaker did most of the work, I just turned the dough out, gave it a few pushes, let it rise, and patted it into the pan. You can top it with whatever you like. My grocery store now sells already-chopped bell pepper and onions, and sliced mushrooms, and of course the pepperoni and salami are pre-sliced. You can leave off the TVP, or use Boca crumbles instead.

The cheese was preshredded too, and the sauce came in a jar...so it was pretty much just throw it all together! And trust me it was SOOOOO worth it, if you are a pizza hound like me. DH is already counting the days til Friday and has decided he is going to eat 2 pieces at dinner and then have 2 more pieces later in the evening for a snack. Pretty funny for the guy who wasn't all that interested in trying it to start with!

But anyway you bring a big ol' salad and I'll share my pizza with you!

Char

Replies

And plan for COLD PIZZA for breakfast , too! This is the *real deal*!!

If you are patient ( ) or lazy-like-me, you can let the bread machine do ALL the kneading and rising...! See below:

Try this method sometime! It's an easier way to make pizza dough...(No kneading. No rising in the microwave. Easy-sneezy!!)

(This is from my Zojirushi bread book.)

Method: Select *dough* setting, then press *start*. The *complete* light will flash when dough is finished.

Preheat oven. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.

Thick crust pizza: with lightly floured hands, press dough into a greased 12" pizza pan, forming a high edge. Brush crust with oil and let stand 15 minutes. Spoon tomato sauce or pizza sauce over dough; top with desired topping and cheese. Bake 25-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden.

Thin crust pizza: Divide dough in half. Press each half of dough into a greased 12" pizza pan, forming a 1" high edge. (Follow above directions.) Bake 20-30 minutes.

Note: The recipe made one HUGE thin crust pizza for me.

I think it sounds complicated because of the detailed directions: you're just putting the ingredients you like on top of the crust and then baking...Or as Char said, "Pat it out and throw it together"!

It was SO GOOD !! I've been thinking about it also! Pizza.... ! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Carol

Replies

WWCarol: Seems to me you're a little closer than Char, maybe I'll come by you instead! I think I'm just trying to get an invitation for pizza! But hey, I love cold pizza for breakfast too! I thought my family was the only ones who ate pizza for breakfast :eek: I don't usually advertise that! HA! But I'm willing to bring the salad, what kind should we make this?? [img]graemlins/clown.gif[/img]
    JeanetteSki

Hey Jeanette --
    I don't think WWCarol is MUCH closer, she's only 1 state north of me! From WI you may as well head to CA...in fact, BOTH of you come, we'll make it a pizza party!

A lovely big tossed green salad with everything in it will do nicely. I have some Trader Joe's cilantro dressing which is also TO DIE FOR so we'll all be heavenly by the time we're done!

I have the pizza dough in the breadbaker even as I type - literally! DH begged me to make it again tonight! What time can you be here??!! :eek:

Char

Replies

Sure, Jeanette! I'll make your 1/2 with whatever toppings you like!

But if Charski and I have our way with you...you'll be making your own in NO-time!! LOL!!

I was afraid of *breads* a long time ago. I read "Joy Of Cooking": "The yeast is a prima donna. She is the star of the show. Salt is a minor player..." Blah-blah-blah. I was too afraid to even try ...

My best friend/old college roomie then brought a gorgeous freshly-baked loaf to my door. "How did you DO this?!" I asked. "Betty Crocker!" she replied. So I tried a Betty Crocker recipe, and my confidence was restored.

Doncha' just love happy endings?! [img]smile.gif[/img] Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Charski! We cross-posted!

Well, if yours is in the bread maker already I'm headin' out the door! Meet you there, Jeanette~

I'm not kidding you...I'm still thinking about this pizza...it's that good! (But I don't have to tell you, do I?! [img]smile.gif[/img] )

C'mon, Everybuddy... pizza party !!! Charski's house!!! Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Well kids (burp - ooooo! 'Scuse me!) we waited for you, but DH finally said, "To heck with them, I want my pizza NOW!" so it's a done deal! Missed you though!

Now here's a sidenote...the first time I made this I used Trader Joe's 0 fat Marinara sauce. Tonight, I used a can of LF pizza sauce (Contadina I think) and all I can say is...the Trader's sauce was MUCH tastier! Who woulda thunkit? So back to that the next time around.

Still very good though and I bought a new pizza pan today, 16", used the same amount of ingredients for the whole thing except added some water-packed artichoke hearts...so I got even BIGGER pieces out of the same amount of points! Two pieces and I am totally stuffed.

Next time we'll plan further ahead!

Char

Replies

Char: Sorry that I missed the pizza, but I'm sure that DH enjoyed it for me!! With the two of you (Char & Carole), I'm sure you'll have me trying that pizza dough before I know it. It is the one thing that my DH will eat without question! One question, do you think fresh pizza dough can be cooked on one of those pizza Pizzaz thingies? DH got one for Christmas from the kids (even they know how much he likes pizza). LOL

Well, next time we head out California way, we'll have to stop for that pizza party!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Wouldn't that be fun??
    JeanetteSki

Replies

DH is out your way this week (in Redwood City), he loves pizza, so I might just have to send him your way for a bite...

Sounds really good (and I do have an ABM to do the work).

[img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Joanna

Ya-Ya Name ~Princess Sparrow Hawk ~

Recommitted 2-13-04 ~ Lifetime since 9-11-90
    Heaviest weight ~ 135.6 ~ Recommit weight ~ 135.6 (2-13-04)
    Current weight ~ 120.9 (8-27-04)

WW goal ~ 105, My goal ~ 99 (my weight when I made lifetime - I'm 4' 11" tall!!)

~~~ "Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten." ~~~ Robin of Sherwood

Well, that would put him a couple hours north of us, but we have decreed that Friday is now PIZZA NIGHT so if he thinks he can wrestle MY DH for half HIS pizza...have him come on by!

Char

Just a little "update" with my most recent pizza tweakings!

I have found that the dough is easier to handle and rolls out more easily if I add 1 tablespoon of good old sugar to the water, before adding flours etc.

I have also found that I like the dough best when I roll it out, let it rise about 30 minutes, then prebake it for 10 minutes BEFORE loading it up with the goodies. It has a "breadier" texture that way, which I prefer.

By gosh, I think I've got this one nearly PERFECTED now!

Char
    (who never met a recipe she couldn't TWEAK!)

Replies

Char: I thought I recognized this receipe!! But I still haven't tried it!
    JeanetteSki

stickchick2b Guest

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] This sounds so great!! I can't wait to try it [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] !!

angela the achiever Guest

I had to try this last night and I absolutely loved it! I made the dough in my bread machine and used 1/4 of the recipe for 3 points to make my own personal pizza. I loaded it up with pizza sauce, 1 serving of turkey pepperoni, 2 servings of light mozzerella, onions, peppers and mushrooms to total up at 9 points. I could barely finish it (but I did, guilt free!) This is definitely the most filling crust per point I've had, and very satisfying.

PhenixPhairy Guest

Been making pizza at home for years and thought the ABM on dough cycle was the best it could get, till trying this dough. It is the BOMB. The only tweaking I did was substituting 1/4 cup of soy flour for same amt of white flour. (Gotta have that protien kick) Thank you [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

I made this last night, and it was awesome!! We usually each 2 pizza's so I made 2 and we have 1 left over.

We had only cheese, the crust was great!
    CeCe
    SW/247 - 1/14/02
    CW/129 - 118 lbs. gone 4ever!!
    GW/130 - GOAL MADE 6-16-03!!!!
    First 10% - March 25, 2002
    Onederland/50 lbs - June 3, 2002
    100lbs loss - January 26th, 2003
    My pictures: <a href="http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=51126076303.71091208603&n=1652446678" target="_blank">http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=51126076303.71091208603&n=1652446678
    I am in control of my life, my happiness and my Inner Brat!"

CeCe
    SW/247 - 1/14/02
    CW/129 - 118 lbs. gone 4ever!!
    GW/130 - GOAL MADE 6-16-03!!!!
    First 10% - March 25, 2002
    Onederland/50 lbs - June 3, 2002
    100lbs loss - January 26th, 2003
    My pictures: <a href="http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=51126076303.71091208603&n=1652446678" target="_blank">http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=51126076303.71091208603&n=1652446678
    I am in control of my life, my happiness and my Inner Brat!"

Replies

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!
    [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] Hubby and I love to enjoy pizza and adult refreshment(light beer of course!!) on our Friday nights alone! This is perfection!!!!
    Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!
    Red Green
    ~~~
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God
    ~~~
    -30!

Replies

I just found this recipe for the pizza dough and am going to try it as soon as I buy the ingredients. I like the idea of dividing the dough up for individual pizzas. My DH does not care for pizza and now I can make my own small one. If I read one of the posts right the single portion of dough would be 3 points, is this right? Then the addition of toppings you add to that for total points for the pizza.

Marilyn
    Loosing weight will help me gain a new friend. That new freind is a brand new me.
    Marilyn

Marilyn, cut into 8ths, I count the dough at 2 points per serving. So I guess that means, for MY calculations at least, the whole dough recipe is worth about 16 points. Divide it up as you see fit and figure your points accordingly!

If you make 4 individual pizzas then each dough portion would be 4 points, plus whatever toppings you choose.

Good idea to make them that way, I might do that, maybe make 8 little round pizzas and top 'em with another 2 points worth of stuff, to make a 4 point pizza that would be perfect for lunch!

Char

Replies

I was wondering can the dough be frozen, so I can use it at other times?

Marilyn
    Loosing weight will help me gain a new friend. That new freind is a brand new me.
    Marilyn

Replies

Charski,
    When I was reading this thread I saw that you wrote
    "Marilyn, cut into 8ths, I count the dough at 2 points per serving. So I guess that means, for MY calculations at least, the whole dough recipe is worth about 16 points"
    I am a little confused by this because the recipe says 12 servings are 1 point each so I have always counted the dough as 12 points, am I doing something wrong here? How did you come up with 16 points for the dough?
    thanks,
    Jean
    Jean - 330/215/150

Hi Jean!

At 112, 1, and 5, it's right on the line between 1 and 2 points, and if you calculate it at 224, 2, and 4 (fiber cap rule in effect) it's actually just at 4 points (high end) for 2 servings (1 slice of pizza) so that's why I say I count the whole pizza dough at 16.

Hope that helps explain!

Char

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast