Thread: Low Mein Recipe ?

I love low mein in chinese restaurants....& need a good point friendly recipe.Mine is never that beige color & is too bland. I don't mind spicy....but don't eat hot food. Thanks
    Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

Pat-
    I love Lo Mein too! I have not tried this recipe yet but it looks good. It is from to WW cookbook: Stir-Fry to Szechuan.

VEGETABLE LO MEIN makes 4 servings

5 dried Chinese black mushromm caps (about 1/2 ounce)
    1/4 pound thin egg noodle clusters
    1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
    1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
    1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon peanut oil
    One 1/2" piece peeled gingerroot, minced
    1 garlic clove minced
    8 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
    1 celery stalk, sliced into thin crescents
    2 cups thinly sliced bok choy (chinese cabbage)
    1/2 cup drained rinsed canned sliced bamboo shoots
    1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
    2 tablespoons minced cilantro

1. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil; add the mushrooms. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain, discarding the liquid, and thinly slice the mushrooms.

2. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander, rinsing with warm water, place in a serving bowl. Add the sesame oil and toss lightly.

3. In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, vinegar, pepper flakes and 3 tablespoons water.

4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the peanut oil. Add the gingerroot and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until just fragrant (do not burn), about 15 seconds. Stir in the scallions, bell pepper and celery; stirring until the vegetables are softened, 5-8 minutes. Add the bok choy, bamboo shoots and the mushrooms; continue cooking, stirring gently, until the bok choy is wilted, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the noodles and the hoisin sauce mixture; cook, stirring gently, until the noodles have absorbed the sauce, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.

Per serving: 4 points
    225 calories, 7 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 33 g total carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 8 g protein, 71 mg calcium

I hope you enjoy it!

Barbara
    OP 1/15/02<br />SW 288.0<br />CW 266.8<br />(-21.2)

Thanks so much, Barbara.Looks good & I have all the ingreds.....will try this soon.
    Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins