Thread: whole wheat spirals

I bought a package of whole wheat spiral pasta. It looks good and has 6 grams of fiber so it should be healthy but I don't know what to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas for recipes? Thanks. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

I like to use spiral noodles for pasta salads. Just cut up whatever veggies you like: brocolli, carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumber, celery, whole grape tomatoes... mix w/ the cooked pasta, pour in a bottle of FF Italian dressing, mix, refrigerate to let marinate a few hours at least - overnight is good. For additional points, add cubed monterey jack cheese (adds protein too), olives... I'll often take this to a potluck dinner & use it for my main course (for that I'll add the cheese) since so many potluck dinners only have fried chicken or fat laden casseroles to choose from.
    JO

MAINTAINING FOR 11 YEARS 0 Months!!

IF YOU NEVER LEAVE, YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME BACK

Replies

Hi Karen!

Have I got a recipe for you!! [img]smile.gif[/img] Just replace your pasta for the *whole wheat ziti*. And remember, it's better to have your w/w pasta slightly UNDERdone after cooking, otherwise it can turn mushy! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Whole Wheat Pasta and Vegetable Medley
    (from WW Favorite Recipes)

Servings: 2

1 TBS. oil
    1 C. each thinly sliced carrots, sliced onions, sliced succhini, sliced mushrooms, and broccoli florets
    4 oz. Muenster cheese, shredded, divided
    1 C. each tomato juice and cooked whole wheat ziti macaroni
    1 tsp. each chopped fresh basil and Italian flat-leafed parsley
    Dash pepper

In 10 inch skillet or a wok, heat oil; add carrots and cook, stirring quickly and frequently, until carrots are tender, 1-2 minutes. Add onions, zucchini, mushrooms, and broccoli and continue stir-frying until veggies are tender-crisp. Remove skillet or wok from heat and stir in 2 oz. of cheese, the tomato juice, pasta, basil, parsley, and pepper.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer macaroni mixture to 2-quart casserole and spring with remaining 2 oz. cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly, about 20 minutes.

Calories: 454, Fat:25, Fiber: 4 Points: 10
    This recipe could be further *lightened* by using less cheese, or a RF cheese. However, it's WONDERFUL *as-is*!!

Let me know what you think if you try it! I have written, "Delicious! Filling and satisfying..."
    This dish also *freezes and reheats* WELL. Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com