Thread: Huge bowl of spahetti & meatballs - 5pts!

Replies

Hi Everyone,

I am quite new to WW, and still experimenting with low points food, but I just had a fantastic dinner tonight that I thought I'd share with you:

2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (amazing stuff) (2pts)
    2/3 C Primo thick & zesty pasta sauce (1 pt)
    2 Boca Veggie burgers, crumbled (3 pts)

This produced a HUGE bowl of spaghetti and meatballs. Now I have never tried veggie burgers before, and I admit I was quite skeptical, but I swear I could not tell the difference. I also added 1 Tblsp of parmesan cheese (0.5pts) but could have done without it.

Dinner was delicious, filling, and a real points saver!

Bye for now,
    Sarah in Ontario<br />max 230/WW 186/now 172/goal 155 (5'10")<br />Joined WW Nov 5, 2001<br />10 lb ribbon on Nov 26 <p>"life is but a pebble sunk - deeds, the circle growing!"

Replies

I think I've got some news that will make you very happy...!

In the Complete Food Companion under Squash: Spaghetti, cooked, 1 cup........0 points!!

Summer squash, cooked, 1 cup......0 points.

Winter squash, cooked, 1 cup......1 point.

That makes your dinner look even better!!
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

And aren't those Boca burgers one point each? That would take the count down another point in total for your dinner.

Kim

Replies

Thanks KAWS & WWCarol!

I guess my points came from a points calculator I downloaded and I added in the nutrition info from the boxes & jars and came up with these figures.
    I think the the Boca burgers I got come out to 1.4 pts each, so 2.8 points for 2.
    I'm still trying to get the hang of the points thing, and rounding up to err on the side of safety! :rolleyes:
    Sarah in Ontario<br />max 230/WW 186/now 172/goal 155 (5'10")<br />Joined WW Nov 5, 2001<br />10 lb ribbon on Nov 26 <p>"life is but a pebble sunk - deeds, the circle growing!"

If you want more of a "real" meatball effect, try the Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs...they are great. 6 of them are 2.5 points. So, you can have 12 meatballs, the spaghetti squash, and any 0 fat spaghetti sauce for a total of 5 points. Sprinkle on just a little FF Parmesan and you're in heaven.

I actually did this to excess like a big dummy....just because I COULD eat a lot of it, for low points, I did...and was miserable for about 2 hours afterward! You'd think I'd know better by now! :eek:

At least I didn't get heartburn like I used to when I overate....

Char [img]smile.gif[/img]

Replies

Sarah,

My WW leader told us about Yves Veggie Meatballs available in some Ontario grocery stores. They would likely be in the vegetable section along with their Veggie Burger and wieners. I think she said 4 or 5 meatbells are 1 point, but don't quote me, use your points calculator for that one.

HockeyMom
    If not now, when?

Replies

Hi Hockeymom -
    thanks for the tip! It's nice to get shopping tips for Canadian products.
    I went out and found some of the Neatballs and tried them tonight. I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed. They look just like meatballs, but they are quite tasteless. I was surprised because the Yves veggiburgers are really tasty.
    Anyways, I still have half a package, so I think I will try marinating them in some beef broth or something next time.
    Bye for now,

Hi Sarah & Hockeymom (I'm a Canadian Hockey Mom as well)!!

I live in Bobcaygeon, Ontario. With only two grocery stores it is difficult to get some of the products mentioned.
    For your info. - Last night I tried the President'
    s Choice Fat Free Frozen Fruit Bars. It was a box of mixed-orange, raspberry and Mango. The raspberry was really good and two points!!

Replies

Help, What's Spaghetti Squash? I really want to try this as I'm addicted to Pasta and it's such hi points.

Maresidotes Guest

Yo Ontarians!!! I'm from cottage country (North Kawartha Township). I am interested to know this spaghetti squash business. To me..squash is squash is squash...but I've never tried spaghetti squash. It's a vegetable, so how can it compare to pasta?

I don't mean to sound critical...just curious

Mary

Mary & Danni - there are a few threads going on somewhere all about spag squash, but I don't recall exactly where they are so can't direct you, but you might want to search some of the topics & try to find them - you'll get more details on different sauces & toppings to try. But basically, it's a yellow oblong shaped squash, usually a bit larger than 2 fists side by side. A normal sized one will usually give about 4 cups of prepared squash. Different ways to cook it but the way I do it is the easiest, imo. Just poke a few holes in it, I use an ice pick, stick it in the microwave & cook on high about 12 minutes. You don't want to over cook it 'cause it'll get mushy. After cooked, hold it w/ some oven mitts or towel 'cause it'll be hot - slice it in half - spoon out the seeds, then you'll soon see how the 'meat' of the squash will pull out like spaghetti strands when you use a fork to scrape it out. It's a WONDERFUL substitute for regular spaghetti!!!!! I've been using it for years for all regular spag dishes, plus you can use it as a side dish w/ butter (ICBINB or butter buds), a sprinkle of brown sugar & cinnamon etc., etc...
    JO

MAINTAINING FOR 11 YEARS 0 Months!!

IF YOU NEVER LEAVE, YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME BACK

12. Post

Where do you get this spegghti sqaush?

13. Post

Replies

You can get spaghetti squash at most grocery stores. Look for them with the other squashes in the produce section.

They are pale yellow, oblong, usually a little smaller than a football, but they come in all sizes...

They are super!

Replies

Default Re: Huge bowl of spahetti & meatballs - 5pts!

I just had spaghetti squash for dinner (with marinara sauce and some FF cheese) and it was amazing!! It filled me up just as good as regular spaghetti! I can't believe I haven't had this before! I'm very excited about this new find. Thanks for posting this recipe. I can't wait to try it prepared other ways
    Keira

Replies

If you can't find spaghetti squash, use zucchinis. I make zucchini "angel hair" by grating the zuke the long way into strands. Zap it for a few minutes and pile your plate high with a pointless pasta. You can top it with anything you want.

To cook spaghetti squash I usually cut in half, scoop out seeds, and put the halves cut side down on a plate or pie plate with some water and microwave till tender (I start with 8 minutes and keep adding as needed). Hold with oven mitt and use a fork to scrap out the insides - it will string just like spaghetti.

Great with butter spray and pepper (I'm wierd I like mine with ketchup).

Also try topping with black beans, salsa and low fat or fat free cheddar - Awesome!
    60 lbs Gone! (10/13/07)
    SW 281.2 / CW 220.8 / Goal 159 (10/13/07)
    Part II SW 277.2 / CW 267.2 / Goal 169 10lbs gone!

I'm probably the only person that has never had spaghetti squash and I'd like to try this for dinner. What does it taste like?
    -Kristen
    Weight Watchers Start Date: April 8th, 2007
    Start Weight- 241
    Current Weight- 221
    1st Mini Goal - 10%
    2nd Mini Goal - ONEDERLAND
    GOAL WEIGHT- 150

!!FOUR!! lbs to go till 10%!!