Thread: Grilled Cheese Pizza Sandwich

I haven't tried this yet in a lower fat version since I joined weight watchers on 8/22, but I think it could be made with less than 10 points.

2 slices whole wheat bread
    1-2 oz. of shredded low fat mozarella
    olive oil
    pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce

Put the cheese between two slices of bread, then fry in a pan with a little olive oil. Cut the sandwich into small strips and dip in sauce. Very satisfying.

This can definitely be made with less points and still be just as delicious. In fact, maybe even tastier. Here's how ..

Bread - look for bread that is just 1-point/slice(yes, its out there, it just takes some looking). Then your bread would be two points

Frying in a little bit of olive oil? No..no.. How do you point "a little bit?".
    Instead spray your pan lightly with pam, olive oil spray - just as good, and a light spray is 0=points

Now for the cheese- 75% fat-free by Cabot, sharp cheddar -out of this world. I realize you may not be able to find it where you are, however, look in the supermarket for the sharpest, lowest fat cheddar you can find. Most supermarkets have a store brand, almost fat-free, that is good. But see if you can find that cabot cheddar. Ask your store if they can get it. It is the best I have ever tasted. Okay now, if you find it, you have the 75% fat free cheddar, which is
    1=point/ounce.

Now let's add it up -

Bread - 2=p
    Cheese 2=p (that's with 2/oz. which is a
    good amount for the sandwich)
    a light spray of pam - 0=points

Total for a very tasty sandwich - 4=points

One idea though, wouldn't it taste even better with a light spray of pam butter spray? It might give it a little more bang for your buck.

Do I know everything? Absolutely not! But from hanging around here at BCB for a while, and doing ww for many years.. I have gotten pretty crafty at stretching my points.

Visit here often and pick up as much as you can. There are a lot of very clever, experienced ww in this group. Most of what I know now I have learned from coming here.

Of yes, share...share..share..so we can learn from you to!

and last but not least a big BCB WELCOME
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Sorry - In looking over my reply to you I see I forgot the pizza sauce.

Okay..Once again..have you tried Healthy Choice Garlic & Herb pasta sauce?? If you haven't, you should become acquainted with it. You can have 1/2 cup for 1=point, and it is delicious. I bet your store would have it too.

So let's see what we have now -

Bread - 2=p
    Sauce 1/2-cup = 1-point
    cheese, 2oz. = 2=points
    light spray of pam -0=points

(1/2 cup of the sauce might be too much for a sandwich - I would probably try 1/4)

So now the original 10 -point or more sandwich is just five points, and I'm sure will taste just as good.

One more thing, don't forget to measure everything. You have to get out of the habit of a little of this, some of that. Everything has to be measured and pointed.

Wow, do I sound bossy. I'm really not like that at all. But I have gained a lot more confidence in myself since joining BCB.
    You will too!

Bon appetit!

p.s. come back to let us know how you liked the reworked sandwich.
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

You can also reduce it one more point by using 2 for 1 bread. 2 slices for 1 point bread....I found butternut light and Wonder light. They are both 2 slices for 1 point. This recipe sounds good, can't wait to try it!! [img]smile.gif[/img]