Thread: Serious about Pizza?

Replies

I have one of the Wisco counter top pizza ovens that you see in the convenience stores. It is a 110v unit that quickly heats up to 1450 degrees and makes your homemade pizza taste just like one from the pizza place...but better because you know what went into the pie! It takes a standard large size pizza baking pan too.

I am experimenting with different crusts to find the ultimate OP pizza. I have to admit that I love that deep dish pizza that is listed in the pizza/pasta on BCB, but taking the same sauce meat combo and putting on whole wheat pizza crust made with a little semolina flour to give it more elasticity is far superior (Just not as easy as using premade pizza dough).

For those of you who entertain, have kids, or like me who really like pizza, the Wisco is the way to go. I bought mine on Ebay used. You can pick them up there, or they are about $120 new, and far superior to the clamshell/electric stand alone ones with the tile bottom and electric element above.

Have to admit I have never tried a Pizazz - like a heat gun that blows on pizza and heated base, but I would think that would really make the house hot.

Am I sick to make pizza at 0600 in the morning on my day off? Not for a pizza lover! Will work on getting those points down, and post up some recipes once in awhile!

Bill

368/337/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 31 lbs
    10% Goal = 332 5 pounds away

Goal Challenge 299 by Mid August - 38 pounds to go
    We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

Replies

Yes, Bill. At 0600 on your day off you should still be in bed!

When you make your lifetime goal, you can write a book, "You Too Can Loose Weight Eating Pizza!", and you can sell it for $25 a copy and make a million dollars.
    Donna
    SW 310
    GOAL 12/4/07
    Proud to a Vegan WW.
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
    "Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer
    "Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall
    "The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Replies

Hm, I'd love one of these, but it would force my local Little Caesers' to go out of business. I must eat pizza at least twice a week- I can't be doing too bady if I've lost 56 lbs! [img]smile.gif[/img] I wonder how much they'd cost here in the Great White North.

Let me know when you publish the book, I'm a cookbook fiend! [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd also like a man who cooks, do you know where I can get one of those too? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jeannette :eek:
    Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

Replies

I don't know if they have this brand out where you are but LONGO's makes an excellent crust for 1 point a slice. My hubby likes white pizza (I never net a slice I didn't like [img]smile.gif[/img] ) so I spray the crust lightly with olive oil flavored spray, use 1 bag (8oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, then cover with sliced tomatoes, or chopped broccoli, even mushrooms (whatever I have on hand), and finally sprinle with pepper & crushed garlic. SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD and only 3 points / slice!!!!!!
    Try it you won't be sorry!!

p.s. if you write the book, you can use my recipe
    The Weight Watchers Queen<br />-- I earned my crown, you can too!!!<br />s148.5/g119/c113.5

Replies

Up at six on my dayoff is like sleeping in. I am usually up at 3-3:30 a.m.

Pizza a couple of times a week is within reach using much better ingredients...You know FF Mozzarella, ground turkey or vegetarian, etc. Going to try no oil in one of the upcoming crusts to see what it is like.

You can get a used pizza oven on Ebay...Man that cooks....maybe the culinary academy? :rolleyes:

I wrote a mexican cookbook while I was off on Workman's Comp about 6 years ago.. It has recipes for all the traditional dishes...Not very WW friendly. DW's grandmother, who didn't even speak English, passed on the recipes before she died ....How to make tortillas, etc.. 130 pages of recipes that cover pisole to cooking cactus, tongue, brains, menudo, etc.

One of these days I am going to get some published, package with an embroidered apron and see if I can market it through a specialty shop like Williams of Sonoma.

Bill

368/337/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 31 lbs
    10% Goal = 332 5 pounds away

Goal Challenge 299 by Mid August - 38 pounds to go
    We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

Pizza is one of the things I really miss so I also make my own. I also have found that you can get by without the oil if you use olive oil spray.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Replies

Well, I made the ultimate pizza tonight! I prepared pizza dough in the bread machine a couple of days ago, and wanted to try a little California Cuisine. You know, something made in California at Chez Bill.

Prepped beforehand. Sauteed thin onion slices, garlic and thinly sliced green peppers. I have a nice mandoline and cut veggies very thin.

Shredded LF Mozzarella-one cup, tomato sauce 1/2 cup all in separate containers.

Rolled out my breadmaker pizza dough pretty thin, and threw the crust on the Weber Gas Grill. Watching, and turning around its own axis, I cooked the crust on one side until we it looked nice and golden brown.

When perfecto...a term we pizza chefs use , sprayed garlic pam on top and used two large spatulas to flip it over.

Using pre-prepared sauce, poured on and spread the sauce, put on the cheese and spread the cooked veggies on top.

Closed up the barbecue and watched the temp rise to brown the bottom and melt the cheese. Again, turning on axis to distribute the heat... when cheese melted...off onto my substitute pizza peel. Chez Bill has to get a real one! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It was absolutely killer... Nice smoky flavor crisp & perfect..Not burned..Not soft...Just right...

I allowed about 7 points max per slice, and very filling! You have got to try this on the barbecue! It is delish, but you have to figure your own points!

Mamma Mia thata waza soma spicey pizzzaa!

Bill

368/334/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 34 lbs

10% Goal = 332 2 pounds away

Replies

Bill:
    Just curious..how did you keep the crust from oozing through the grill grate? Also, what did you mean turning on it's axis? Does your grate rotate?
    Thanks
    Pizza lover in the West!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    302/272/159<P><BR>**"Never trade what you want at the moment for what you want the most"**

Replies

When you prepare the dough, the dough is not like the kind in the tube. It has some substance. I rolled to about 3x thickness of tortilla and put on the grill... It doesn't to through the grill. When you turn on axis, you just turn the dough clockwise or counterclockwise....(You should know that the great chefs do it clockwise :eek: ) . What you are doing is essentially making sure there are no hot spots burning the bottom of the crust. Once it is golden brown (with some grill marks), carefully turn over. I used two 5 or 6 inch wide spatulas because I don't have a pizza peel (large wooden spatula with 2-3 foot handle). After turning put on your pre-prepared goodies you have ready to apply. I sprayed the dough with garlic pam prior to heat...recipe calls for olive oil brushed on. Your choice.

Never fear...it won't go through the grill. Best pizza I think I have ever had, including eating out.

Bill

368/334/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 34 lbs

10% Goal = 332 2 pounds away

:eek:

Replies

I saw Martha Stewart do that some time ago. Wow, our own male version of the homemaking queen!!! Sounds delicious. Don't know if the DH would go for it, though. Doesn't matter. I would LOVE it!

It's a good thing----
    BB<br /><br />DESIRE<br />DEDICATION<br />DETERMINATION<br />DISCIPLINE<br /><br />SW--190.2<br />CW--185.2<br />WW--139<br />P --135

Replies

PLEASE It is homemaking King or King of Barbecue, or Boy Meets Grill! Queen.... OUCH!

Bill

368/333.5/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 34.5 lbs

10% Goal = 332 1.5 pounds away