Thread: Homemade Gardenburger: Bulgar and Chickpeas

Replies

Cathy P. posted this on Lifetime, and I just had to pass it along! I made these this morning, and they are EXCELLENT and EASY!! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

"Garden Burgers

1/2 large onion, finely diced
    1 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
    1 cup coarse bulgur
    1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    4 oz frozen peas or carrots, Optional
    pinch kosher salt
    1/4 cup grated mozzarella (optional)

Pour onions into a 3 quart sauce pot with the stock and bring to a boil. Add bulgur, chickpeas and veggies, stir until combined. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Remove pot from heat. Using a potato masher or spoon back, mash ingredients together making sure all chickpeas get smashed. Add in cheese (if desired). Form into four burger patties. Lightly coat a non stick skillet with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Place all burgers in pan when hot and cook 2-3 minutes per side or untilheated through and golden. Can also add taco or other seasoning into burgers mixing them.

No nutritional info was given, but should be able to figure points easily enough. This isn't that many ingredients."

(I've got people working on the points right now! ) I made mine with: precooked bulgar (2 cups), onions, frozen garbanzo beans and frozen peas: mixed together and cooked in the microwave for about 3 minutes until beans/peas were warm and onion was cooked.

You can also follow the recipe by putting everything in an 8 C. Pyrex measuring cup and microwaving the mixture for 15-20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes. I did add in the grated mozarella when I "mashed" the mixture.

I formed them into "burgers" with my Tupperware patty-maker. They held their shape beautifully, and were very easy to work with! I got seven 4 ounce "Gardenburgers".

I toasted a pita, and put it in with lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce. Very filling and delicious. Reminiscent of a falafel!! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Carol: This sounds really good!! I'm going to be trying these! This sounds like something I can cook up after I get home at night from my Jazzercise classes and not be in the kitchen till 9:00!! I can also use up some of that bulgur I bought and now can't find anything to do with it. Maybe if it's mixed in with something else, I won't think it's so bad. Thanks for posting this; I'll let you know.
    JeanetteSki

Replies

Sounds really good Carol..I'll try it maybe this weekend. I have mastercook so I'll try and figure out the points.
    Fawn
    sw172.2/cw135.8/wwg140/pwg136<br />412 gone forever!!!<br />ya ya name<br />Queen Chirps Like A Bluejay<br />25# magnet 3/17/03<br />made goal 6/23/03<br />made lifetime 8/6/03<br /><br />"I am a star with a good supporting cast."
    again committed 1/09
    sw 153.4/ cw 148.2/ wwg 140

Replies

Thanks, Fawn! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I did try my hand at Mastercook and got "2" points each (however it goes to "3" if you use "cooked garbanzo beans" instead of "canned garbanzo beans"! [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

I'll still be interested in what you find out...and what you think of them! Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

bump
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

Replies

Default Re: Homemade Gardenburger: Bulgar and Chickpeas

To the top! Yummmmmy!
    Lifetime as of November 21, 2005 & getting back to goal!

HW - 185
    GW - 145
    CW - 158

Ok so where in the store do I find Bulgur? Iwould love to try this if you could help me out! Thanks

laralosing4good Guest

WOw,thanks, I need to try it!