Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bran Bread, 2 sl=1 pt - ABM Dough Cycle

Well after weeks of experimenting I have finally gotten this down to a science. 2 nice 4"x8" loaves of Wheat Bran Bread that come out to 2 slices for 1 point!!

1 2/3 cups water
    2 1/2 cups King Arthur Bread Machine unbleached flour
    1 1/2 cups wheat bran
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
    2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
    2 1/2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten

Heat the water in the microwave on high 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. You want it hot but not boiling. Pour heated water into ABM bread pan. Add the salt, sugar, and garlic granules to the water.

Add the unbleached flour, then the wheat bran, then the whole wheat flour; make a "trough" in the whole wheat flour with a knife blade and sprinkle the yeast into the trough. Spoon the vital wheat gluten over the yeast.

Set the ABM to the Dough cycle. When complete, remove dough from pan to lightly floured board and punch down. Cut dough in half and shape each half into a loaf; place in 4" x 8" bread pan which has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (I use butter flavored).

While shaping loaves, place 2 cups of water in microwave and heat on High 5 minutes - just below the boiling point. Move to the back corner of the MW oven and place the two loaf pans with the bread dough inside the microwave to rise. Set a timer for about 20 minutes, and check every 10 minutes thereafter until the bread is risen over the top edge of the pans. Preheat oven to 350*. When it is preheated, place bread pans in oven and bake for 25 minutes. Turn loaves out onto rack to cool.

I use an electric slicer and get 16 full slices from each loaf. I do slice off the heels thinly (and feed them to the bluejays!) so technically I suppose you could make a case for saying I get 17 slices from the loaf.

Calculated on 16 slices per loaf, the nutritional info is:

Per serving (1 slice) - 54 calories; trace fat; 2 g protein; 12 g carbohydrate; 2 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol; 127 mg sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 grain (starch)

NOTES: My ABM decided not to work on the full cycle any more, so I program it to knead for 15 minutes then 1 rise cycle for 40 minutes. At that point I turn the bread out, shape and rise in the pans.

When measuring flour for bread (or any other purpose) - stir or shake the flour first, then spoon it into the measuring cup, then use a straight edged knife to level the flour in the cup. This gives a more accurate measurement than simply dipping the measuring cup into the flour, which compacts the flour and may alter the flour/water ratio necessary for a good loaf.

Char, This looks great! Thank you...I'm going to try it. This is the first make-at-home bread recipe I have seen this low in points.

Have a great day!

Hugs, [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Thanks for sharing this Char!!!! It sounds great!
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

This sounds great, but how much yeast is needed? I have been looking for an ABM bread as point friendly as storebought. Thanks!

autumnbskt Guest

Char

This sounds great! I think I will try this tonight! How much yeast? 2 tsp?

Lana

Ooooops!! DUH!

I edited the recipe and added the yeast!!

Sorry kids.

Char [img]odear.gif[/img]

Replies

I was wondering if you could use oat bran instead of wheat bran in this recipe? Would that change the point value?

Marilyn
    Loosing weight will help me gain a new friend. That new freind is a brand new me.
    Marilyn

Oat bran has more "natural" fat than wheat bran, so yes, it does change the calorie value. I think I ran the numbers with both and the wheat bran is definitely less caloric than the oat.

Too bad 'cause I love my oat bran too, but for the bread, I stick with wheat.

Char

Replies

Charski, have you used this recipe for hamburger buns? If so, how many do you make from the dough? I don't know what I did, but I tried making burger buns with this recipe and they were flatter than a pancake!

Diana [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    Lifetime Feb'03

Hi Diana,
    No, I haven't yet tried that, although I have threatened to a few times!

I have, however, used it to make sweet rolls and it rose quite nicely.

Yesterday I had a "bread flop" day though - same recipe, same ingredients, same methods - no go! Yet the pizza crust I had made Friday was perfect. Go figure. Sometimes breadmaking is a little frustrating! :rolleyes:

All I can say is, give it another try and see what happens!

Char

32lbs&counting Guest

I haven't been able to find ANY bread that is less than 1 pt anywhere!!
    this sounds great.

Giving this one a good BUMP to the top for Jefrado22!

Char

Susan, LOL! Poor you!

I've made my share of "bread bricks" too and sometimes it seems the bread gods are just against you. I have used this same recipe for about a year now and on three different occasions, it made BRICKS!

My usual suspects are: bad yeast (try proofing it in a bit of warm water with a sprinkle of sugar; if it gets all bubbly, it's still good); stale flour; too much salt; temperature too warm or too cold; etc. etc. etc.! Also I found that using water from the tap was a sure way to a "bread brick" so now I only use bottled or filtered water.

And I do always buy "for bread machine" flours, both unbleached and whole wheat - they are higher in protein and they stand up better to the mechanical whippin' they take in the machine.

Try again and good luck!

Char

Replies

[img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    This is a great bread recipe! I make this about 2-3 times per week! My DH LOVES it! What I have been doing is making bruschetta with it...I slice the bread and toast the slices on both sides, (you could rub it with garlic, but I haven't done that yet) then I just serve it with chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, mozzerella, italian ff or light done right italian, chopped olives and some fresh herbs. This is SOOO good! My kids like this too. I just separate my toppings so I know how many points I am eating. It is a very good meal! Thanks for the recipe, Charski. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Mary<br /> VERY PROUD ARMY WIFE<br /> VERY PROUD MOTHER<br /><br />highest weight: 224<br />Start Date: April 17, 2003 <br />SW: 200<br />CW: 190<br />GW: 145 <br />Point range: 22-27

Replies

Okay, I'm going to try it again. I've got some new bread flour, new yeast and I've completely cleaned out my breadmaker. I noticed that the inside had some "burnt crumbs" from the breadmaking process and the back vents had some dust on them. Everyone please keep your collective fingers crossed for me. I'm setting all my ingredients out to come to room temparature and I proofed my new yeast by making a loaf of bread from a bread mix(threw out the little packet and used my new yeast--wasn't sure of the expiration date on the packet)
    Wish me luck!!
    Susan
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Replies

I tried to make this last night and ended up making some really nice bricks instead. I think there is a problem with my yeast!!! [img]odear.gif[/img]
    I have been having lots of problems making bread recently and have been trying to eliminate all of the usual suspects!! I was wondering though, is the whole wheat flour supposed to be for bread machines or just regular whole wheat flour? I have King Arthur Traditional Whole wheat here. I also think I need some new white flour. My old king arthur bread flour was beginning to taste icebox-y.
    About the bread flop. I'm trying to look on the bright side....they make really good dog biscuits for my dog and she seems to really like them. I sliced them and dried them out in a low oven, they will be sure to get all the tartar off her teeth
    Susan (the highly challenged baker)
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Replies

Bump! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Mary<br /> VERY PROUD ARMY WIFE<br /> VERY PROUD MOTHER<br /><br />highest weight: 224<br />Start Date: April 17, 2003 <br />SW: 200<br />CW: 190<br />GW: 145 <br />Point range: 22-27

Bumpin' for a buddy!

Talking

Bump
    Ya-Ya name: Queen Life of the Party.<br />To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals. - Benjamin Franklin<br /><br />SW=255 October 13, 2003<br />242 October 26, 2003<br />236.7 November 15, 2003<br />224 March 24, 2004<br />219 May 2, 2004<br />GW=160

raidermom Guest

Bump for Wendyj.

Replies

Default Re: Bran Bread, 2 sl=1 pt - ABM Dough Cycle

GREAT low-point bread recipe for newer Buddies~ :bcbsalute
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

Thumbs up Re: Bran Bread, 2 sl=1 pt - ABM Dough Cycle

Bump for Super Healthy Eaters Forum....

Replies

Default Re: Bran Bread, 2 sl=1 pt - ABM Dough Cycle

Bumpity, bump!
    5'2" SW-144.0 CW-136 GW-129.0

Replies

Great recipe. Can be used for pizza crust, too~

Replies

For a Buddy~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast