Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bran Bread- 1 point!

I've made this recipe about 3'x & it is very tasty...Makes excellent crunchy toast..

From WW New complete Cookbook..

Bran Bread
    (NOte) this can be made by hand or in ABM

1-1/3 c water
    2 c flour
    1c + 2 T wheat bran
    1/2c + 2 T whole wheat flour
    1-1/2 tsp salt *****
    2 tsp instant yeast (if using ABM, if not, use active dry yeast)
    2 T vital wheat gluten*****

***** orig recipe called for 2 tsp salt, this I think made it too salty, so I cut it back..Do not omit salt if making in ABM...
    Also, the vital wheat gluten is my addition to help lighten the loaf)

The book states you will get 12 slices from the loaf @ 112 cal, 1 gr fat, 5 gr fiber... or 1 pt per slice...

I usually get 15 slices per loaf, but still count them as 1 point...

This bread is great! No added fats or sugars! & it tastes great, (not like cardboard! ) & is moist.... It doesn't get very browned ( due to lack of sugar & fats) but this inside is a nice wheat color....)

I do this on the dough cycle of my aBM & bake in a loaf pan @ 350 in oven for 30 min...

Enjouy

Jonie

Hi Jonie, Thanks for posting this for all of us. I made it yesterday, and Rick is crazy about it. He says it is very, very, tasty. A real keeper.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

You are welcome!

I made this into buns today... 6 wonderful 2 pt buns! Perfect for the veggie burger!

Greg had them w/Italian roast beef....It was a nice hearty bun for a sandwich like that..

Will freeze leftovers for later..

Jonie

This sounds "right up my alley"...alas, I have no ABM & am not an experienced bread maker [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img] Could you please post instructions & any recipe changes I need to attempt this "by hand"?

Thanks [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Namaste, reiki gal

"The man who cracks up is drowning in the water in which the mystic swims." Mark T. Sullivan

I don't know how you would convert this. How about investing in an inexpensive bread maker, just to see if you like it? If you live near a Walmart, they have inexpensive ones there.

I have made this 1-point bread three times since Jonie posted the recipe. It's really something!
    Today, I added 2 pkts. of splenda just to give it a little sweetness. I haven't tried it yet, because it is still cooling off.

This morning I had one slice of this bread with 1-T. of Brumble & Brown strawberry spread(really yummy), all for 2-points total.

I found my first ABM on a clearance table at Kitchen's Etc. for only $10.50.

You don't have to know much about baking to use one. They are very easy to use.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I have a stupid question, but here goes...

What is vital wheat gluten and where do you get it??

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Maureen
    235/186.2/155
    Made Goal 1/26/05
    Made Lifetime 3/9/05

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!

Hi Maureen, This is a good question. It is one I asked, myself, several months back.

First, I find Vital Wheat Gluten in the baking isle at the grocery store. It comes in a small box and is usually above the flours (it is by Arrowhead).

What is it for? It is added to create taller, lighter breads. It is most often used in whole-grain breads, which tend to bake up small and dense in the bread machine. I also use it occasionally in some white bread recipes.

Dawna

I made this yesterday - I let the ABM mix, knead, and "first rise" the dough, then I turned it out and shaped it, put it in a loaf pan, let it rise and baked it in a 350* oven for 25 minutes.

It didn't rise quite as high as I'd hoped for, but the bread is absolutely moist and delicious! I got 16 slices out of the loaf, but am still considering it 1 point per slice. I'll make it again, to be sure!

Char

Char, Did you use the wheat gluten?

Dawna

Yes. For once in my life, I made the recipe EXACTLY AS WRITTEN!

It did rise up above the top of the pan, just not very high. It's about 2/3 the size, tall-wise, of what I'd term a "regular" slice of bread. Not complaining much though because it is really YUMMY!

Char

One more thought on this....I bake this on the basic wheat cycle in my Zo. Sometimes I am able to get a better rise on breads, containing wheat, on this cycle. I got a really light, good size, fluffy loaf from this.

Do you have a cycle to use with wheat breads?

Dawna

autumnbskt Guest

Hello everyone!

Can you tell me where I can find wheat bran? I have tried several times to find it to no avail. (Always in a hurry though, and didn't ask) Where in the store do I find it? I have been looking in the flour & sugar section, also tried ethnic foods section and cerials.

TIA!

Lana

Hi Lana, The best place to buy it is in the Health Food stores. I bought two bags over the weekend, $1.39/ea.. I also saw it in my supermarket, however, it was a smaller box and very expensive.

In the supermarket it is in with the cereals.

Dawna

Hi Dawna

Thanks for all your suggestions! I have a Zo also, but took this out after the kneading and first rise, shaped it, put it in a loaf pan, let it rise and baked in the oven.

I was afraid to try it through the full cycle because I've had problems with whole wheat breads turning out like bread bricks in there! I'll give it a go again with your suggestion on the wheat cycle!

Thanks again
    Char

Hi, One more thing..............

In my Zo, I find that the wheat cycle has bread ready about 20 - 30 minutes early.

Test this bread for doneness (sp?), at the 30 mins. to done point. You can use a cake tester.
    I find that every bread I make on this cycle is ready early.

Pls. let me know how it comes out.

Dawna

Hi Dawna!

Just HAD to share what I did with this bread dough today!

I have been hankering for pizza for a couple of weeks, so put the ingredients in the Zo, put it on dough cycle, and let 'er rip. I removed it from the pan before the first rise though, and kneaded it well about 5 minutes, turned it into a bowl sprayed with olive oil flavored Pam, sprayed the top of the dough lightly too, and let it rise in the microwave with a 2 cup measure filled with very hot water.

45 minutes later, it had doubled, so I rolled it out and fit it into a 12" aluminum pizza pan, pressed it down and made a high edge all the way around. I wanted it to rise a bit while I chopped up the veggies for the topping.

Chopped up one green bell pepper, half a sweet onion, and sliced some mushrooms. I spread about 1/2 cup FF marinara sauce over the dough, sprinkled on maybe 2 teaspoons of RF Parmesan, and used 4 oz. mixed shredded cheddar and mozzarella Veggie Shreds soy cheese over that. Next layer, 18 slices RF pepperoni and 10 slices RF salami, a cup of rehydrated TVP which I had made with beef broth, a teaspoon of Good Seasons Garlic Cheese dry salad dressing mix, some oregano, a sprinkle of Bell's Poultry Seasoning (mostly sage), and some dried red pepper flakes, about 4 oz. mixed cheddar and mozzarella Veggie Shreds, then topped it the aforementioned veggies. It baked about 20-25 minutes at 450*. I cut it into eighths and figured it was about 2.5 points per slice! DH ate half the pizza! He, who was poo-pooing it, turning up his nose and curling his lip beforehand - Mr. "I only eat Papa Murphy's Pizza"...HAH! AND he said it was great! I could only eat 2 pieces and we each had a "pretend" (nonalcoholic) beer, so for 6 points I am STUFFED. I had dished myself up a big green salad to go with but I couldn't eat more than a few bites of it. I will definitely make THAT meal again!

So thanks for this great dough recipe, I just love it. Next experiment...cinnamon/raisin rolls!

Char

Replies
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the recipe -- it sounds delicious! I've been looking for a good bread recipe, so this will be perfect.
    Things I'm Most Looking Forward To:
    No more back fat!
    More E-N-E-R-G-Y!
    Buying stylish, not oversized clothes
    Packing smaller clothes
    Living long enough to see my grandchildren grow up
    Having a stable wardrobe
    Ability to handle cravings
    The END of binging!
    A healthier me!

Char, How did you know I was looking for a new Pizza recipe?? Boy, are you inventive &
    creative. [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Of course, I am going to try this. You know there always has to be a question though....I have never used TVP. Do you use it in place of beef, how do you get it ready for use, & where do you find it in the supermarket??

BTW, I got my 2nd., back-up Zo last night. I make all of my family's bread in my Zo, although I rarely eat bread myself. When I saw that Zo's were on sale this week at Kitchens, Etc., I decided to get a back-up (I live with really skinny people who eat a lot of bread). Do you use your Zo a lot?

Have a great OP day!
    Dawna

Hi Dawna!
    I had a piece of leftover pizza for breakfast! YUM!

I get my TVP at Whole Foods market, I have not seen it at any of my local grocery stores. Any health-food type store should carry it, check the labels carefully though. The kind I buy has 0 fat in it so comes out very low in points.

Yes, I did substitute the TVP for ground beef or sausage in this case. It is rehydrated by adding 7/8 cup boiling liquid to 1 cup dry TVP. (I think there is a good thread about this in the Vegetarian board.) I wanted a "sausage" flavor to it, so used boiling beef broth to which I had added a teaspoon of dry Good Seasons Garlic Cheese salad dressing mix, some oregano, some poultry seasoning (mostly sage, which gives a "sausage" flavor in meat) and some dried red pepper flakes. I like to stir in the liquid and the spices, let it sit on the counter for 5 minutes to absorb, stir well, then refrigerate it for an hour or more. This "compacts" the granules and they more closely resemble ground beef or sausage than if you use it right after rehydrating, when the granules are "softer and plumper" - I find this also works great as a replacement for ground beef when making tacos. I rehydrate it with the beef broth and a tablespoon of taco seasoning mix to 2 cups of TVP and then refrigerate it, and reheat it when ready to eat. My 19 YO "human eating machine" stepson does NOT even know he's eating soy instead of ground beef!

I LOVE to cook, never met a recipe I didn't think I could improve, and one of these days I'm gonna write a cookbook!

I don't use my Zo too much because we really love the Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread so much, but now that I've discovered this great, low points way to make pizza, it will get a little more exercise! Plus I do want to try that cinnamon roll idea that's percolating in my mind! Will let you know how it comes out!

Char

And P.S. - if you can't find the dry TVP you could always use some Soy Crumbles, Boca makes them and I believe Morningstar Farms as well - they come in a bag in the frozen foods section.

Char

Replies

Hey, Charski! That pizza sounds GREAT!! I'm going to try it SOON...

But try this method sometime! It's a lot easier way to make pizza dough...(No kneading. No rising in the microwave. Easy-sneezy!!)

(This is from my Zojirushi bread book.)

Method: Select *dough* setting, then press *start*. The *complete* light will flash when dough is finished.

Preheat oven. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.

Thick crust pizza: with lightly floured hands, press dough into a greased 12" pizza pan, forming a high edge. Brush crust with oil and let stand 15 minutes. Spoon tomato sauce or pizza sauce over dough; top with desired topping and cheese. Bake 25-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden.

Thin crust pizza: Divide dough in half. Press each half of dough into a greased 12" pizza pan, forming a 1" high edge. (Follow above directions.) Bake 20-30 minutes.

Whaddaya' think?! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Hey Carol!

I'm sure that works great, I just didn't want to WAIT for it! I set it to Dough and it said in the little window 1 hour and 55 minutes. So I just yanked it out after it had blended everything nicely, I think it was about 20 minutes or so into the cycle. Then it took 30 minutes to double in the MW, so I figured I was ahead of the game by 1 hour! You know me...no patience...especially when it's already nearly 4 pm and I want to EAT ASAP!

Next time I will plan ahead better and try it through the whole cycle though.

Char [img]smile.gif[/img]

Replies

LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!

Charski, you are way too funny!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Patience is a virtue, except when it's dinnertime !! Carol
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Hi Charski, Thanks for the info. on the TVP. I looked at it yesterday at the supermarket, however, I had not seen your post yet, so I didn't use it. I have been using the veggie crumbles by Morningstar for several years now. I can't even remember the last time I bought real hamburgh. However, the crumbles don't work in things like meatballs & meatloaf...I haven't figured out yet how to make them press together. Do you think the TVP is better than the crumbles?

I use my ZO almost daily. That is why I have my 2nd. one now. Everyone here likes a different kind of bread. One likes white, the other likes rye/dark breads.

BTW, did you check out the crusty italian loaf I posted here a while ago? It is really something special. Very, very easy, and always a hit.

Thanks for all the info & help!

My Mastercook software arrived yesterday, so later today I am going to try using it. [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img] :eek: I hope, with my 18-yr.old's help, I am successful. I really want to find/come up with more 1-point breads.

Dawna

Hey Dawna!

Personally, I like the TVP better for two reasons: it is shelf stable and I can buy it in bulk, so it's ready whenever I want it; and I can season it to my liking, depending on what I'm using it in. I even added a cup of it to the Kashi Treat bars I make to punch up the protein a bit.

As for making it stick together for meatballs and such, I haven't had much luck with that using straight TVP. I did, of course, mix it half and half with 95% lean ground round for meatloaf, which worked perfectly. I s'pose you could do the same for meatballs.

My answer to the meatballs, though, is Trader Joe's meatless meatballs! They ARE made with TVP and they are delicious. I noticed that there are a couple brands of them in my supermarkets too, near the Boca burgers and such

Char

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast