Thread: Almost Fried Chicken

parham91 Guest

edited!

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I am going to try this to pack for a picnic lunch this summer. (I'm so tired of the same old sandwiches.)

Thank you again!

web page
    ~~Lizzie~~<br /><br />180/167/130<br /><br />"Stressed" spelled backwards is "desserts!"

Replies

Have to put this one on my "My night to cook" list. Thanks... sounds great. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Bill

369/352.5/220 OP since 5/4/2001
    Can Almost weigh on the Doctor's Scale! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

I'm questioning your points on this recipe. How much of the milk/egg whites/flour do you actually use?

chicken breast is 1 pt per oz
    3 egg whites are 1 pt (how many in 1 cup 8 or 9)
    2 cups of f/f milk is 4 pts
    3 cups of flour is 27 pts.

That comes to 8 pts per 4 servings without any chicken.
    ann p

parham91 Guest

If you read what I wrote on the bottom of the recipe....I said to check the points yourself.
    Realizing of course that you will have egg, milk and flour all left over. Not all of it gets used when you make fried chicken. There has to been a larger amount to dip the chicken into it. The 1.5 for the chicken was for 1/4 of a chicken which could very well be the right amount. A drumstick with a wing would'nt be as much meat as a breast. I went by the package information and points slider.

Can't wait to try something "almost fried"!
    Ann
    Rejoin: 03/08
    Start: 150 LBS
    Goal: 125 for now

Replies

Hey all of your Fried Chicken Lovers

Tried this last night...Excellent, but I think I could have done some scaling down to use far less flour and eggbeaters, but still the same amount of spices to zest up the flour coating.

I added some homemade Emeril zing, and turned the chicken twice..Total cooking time about 50 min at 375. Chicken was excellent. Hmmm Tastes Like Chicken!

Highly recommended - will do this one again.

Bill

369/341.5/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 27.5 lbs
    10% Goal = 332 Wow, only 9.5 more lbs
    Goal Challenge 299 by Mid August - 42.5 pounds to go for goal challenge (I think this might have been a bit too ambitious a goal)
    We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

Hi Bill -

I read your idea about adding "Emeril-zing to the almost fried chicken recipe. You said it was homemade. Could I possibly persuade you to post the recipe for that homemade seasoning? I would be most appreciative. Thanks -

Dawna

14-year life time member - currently 3 pounds below my goal weight(again), and this time holding that weight longer than ever thanks to this wonderful site.
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

Here is the recipe for Bayou Blast:

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Makes 2/3 cup

No Worries...Very easy and no points
    [img]redface.gif[/img] I do like that spice!

I had the leftover piece for lunch today, and it was great cold...Almost Fried Chicken was great. Going to try fish for almost fried fish. Should be just as good!

Bill

369/341/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 27 lbs
    10% Goal = 332 Wow, only 9 more lbs
    Goal Challenge 299 by Mid August - 42 pounds to go for goal challenge (I think this might have been a bit too ambitious a goal)

nana on WW Guest

Hey, Bill, I cooked chicken breasts tonight using the recipe you gave for Emerils Bayou Blast. I just dipped in 1% milk (didn't use egg white) and floured in very little flour and used the spices. I sprayed the chicken and the pan with Krogers butter spray. I figured only about 4 pts for each piece. My husband loved it! Thanks, I'm a Emeril fan; saw him in Orlando in January and ate at one of his restaurants--before I started WWs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Replies

My son got a full ride track scholarship in New Orleans, and used to work at Brennans in the Quarter. He met Emeril, and thought he was a really cool dude! I liked him on the Food Channel...quite the character.

In reference to the previous posts about Almost Fried Chicken point values. I couldn't begin to understand why so much flour was used. I didn't use egg whites, I used egg beaters, and had a ton of flour and eggbeaters left over that got tossed. The points come, of course, from the amount of egg or flour that gets stuck to the chicken, which really wasn't much in the meal I fixed. I enjoyed it. I did alaskan cod another time, and didn't care much for my faux fish without chips

Bill

369/338/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 31 lbs
    10% Goal = 332 Wow, only 6 more lbs
    Goal Challenge 299 by Mid August - 39 pounds to go for goal challenge

parham91 Guest

Where did the recipe go? I made this once and came back to copy the recipe and it was gone. Well hopefully I can find the paper I wrote it down on. I'm not crazy am I? It is gone isn't it? Oh lord now I am beginning to think I am crazy!! :eek:
    Take care all<br />Sarah <br />CLWaterV2@aol.com

purecheez Guest

you're not crazy, I was just going to post the same thing... it's not invisible!

Replies

Here is the recipe for Almost Fried Chicken. I have pasted in because the other is gone?

Almost Fried Chicken

1 cut up chicken (skinned)
    1 cup of egg whites or Egg Beaters
    2 cups of Nonfat Milk
    3 cups of flour (approx.)
    1 Tbsp Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp of Seasoning Salt
    1 Tbsp of Dried Oregano Flakes
    Pam Spray

Preheat oven to 375

Skin and wash chicken, pat dry and set aside. Whip egg whites and milk together in a large bowl and set aside. Mix flour, seasoning salt, pepper and oregano flakes together in another large bowl.

Spray Pam on a cookie sheet.
    Dip chicken in egg mix and then in flour mix. Make sure it's thoroughly coated. Put chicken on the cookie sheet making sure they are not touching. Spray Pam on chicken pieces so that the flour looks completely moist. Cook chicken for approx. 20 minutes, turn chicken over and spray again with Pam. Continue doing this until chicken is cooked through.

4 Servings
    110 calories, 1.5 gr. fat for each serving.

Bill

368/337/220 OP since 5/4/2001 minus 31 lbs
    10% Goal = 332 5 pounds away

Goal Challenge 299 by Mid August - 38 pounds to go

parham91 Guest

:eek: Sorry you guys, I took it off but it seems Bill put it back up.
    I got tired of the griping about, why did you use so much of this, that and the other!
    We all love fried chicken so I was posting the recipe from memory (lost some weight there too). I figured everyone could "basically" re-do the amounts of some of the ingrediants but get the general idea of how to make the chicken. Call it chocolate deprivation, TOM, whatever, but the last time I looked through this post, it griped me so much, I took it off.

Chris

Replies

Chris - Thank you for your efforts to post this recipe.
    I'm going to try it.
    I agree, you never said do it your way. We can all figure out points, etc. ourselves. Maybe that ole saying is really true "too many cooks spoil the broth! Thank you again!

Bill - Thanks for the spice recipe too.

Ashlee
    Be the change that you want to be.

Replies

Hi I made the chicken the other night. It was great!! I cut the amount of dipping ingredients in half and put the flour and spices in a bag to toss the chicken with. Everyone in the family loved it and I especially enjoyed it cause it tasted like my mom's fried chicken from when I was a kid. I haven't been able to eat real fried chicken for some time cause all the fat makes me sick. Thanks for a great recipe.
    Susan
    SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145