Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curves?

Arrow

Is anyone doing the CURVES program? I would love to hear feedback-postive or negative- about this place. I am thinking about trying it, but don't know if it seems 'right' for me or not.

Thanks!
    Jel
    'You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.'

Replies

There have been some other posts about Curves in various forums. I found it really, really boring - I didn't like the circuit format and didn't like the music. Other people love it so I think it just depends. Sheila

Replies

I have been going to Curves for about 2 months now. I really like it. I looked at other places, 24 hour fitness, Linda Evans and such, but this is so much more comfortable and you can waltz in do your workout and waltz out. I don't know your age...but that would make a difference. If you are already exercising (walking, running, or doing aerobics at home) you probably would want something more challenging. But, if you are just starting out in the exercising thing, I suggest this. Curves has been good for me...I have started from nothing and do the machines (don't work up much of a sweat yet) but have lost 7 inches in two months. Go to the Curves in your area and ask questions. They may let you try the machines so you can see the resistance you would get from them. I think you will be pleased with the machines. Hope this helps.
    The year will go by whether you do anything about your goals or not....Dr. Phil

SW:177 CW:171 GW:140

Replies

Thumbs up

I am an avid Curves fan. It is a flat 30 minutes no more, no less. There are no "spandex cuties", no mirrors (in my center, anyway) and everyone is there for the same reason. The members are very friendly and supportive. We have 10 or 15 different cds of every type of music from oldies and country to hip-hop. Contact the center closest to you and inquire about a visitor's pass. The pass allows you to be shown around and a complimentary work out with instructions on each machine. Our passes also entitle you to a special discount if you decide to join. Give it a try, you might be plesantly suprised.
    Ann/Aignergal<br />281/202/155<br />closing in on 3rd 10%<br />------------------<br />"Strength is a matter of the made-up mind." John Beecher

etalocohc Guest

I do circuit training although not at Curves. I just wanted you to know that one of the main advantages to the resistance work of circuit training is that you make it fit your fitness level by how rapidly you work the machines. At the center that I go to, there is an 80 year old lady who had a stroke and was very fragile when she started. now she goes around on her own. At the other end of the fitness scale are very fit young women who get quite a strenuous workout.

Thumbs up

Thanks much all~ The answers were VERY helpful & I think I will look into getting a visitor's pass & trying it out! I'm 40 y/o, used to be in quite good shape, am walking now, but need something more that I can commit to.
    Thanks again!

Replies

Hi Jel,
    I had joined curves and there were many things I really enjoyed about it: the people were great, the place was spotless, constant supervision while working out, fair price, convenient location...etc.
    There were things that I wasn't wild about. The curves by my place had hours that weren't suitable to my schedule. For example, they closed were closed from 1pm to 3:30 pm. They also closed at 7pm, so if I was working a day shift I couldn't get there before they closed. So, it meant I could only go when I wasn't working. Also, this curves didn't have shower facilities, so I'd have to go home to shower.
    To be perfectly honest, after six months I got bored with the routine.
    So, I renewed my membership at my other gym.
    They have several classes, a pool, showers, a huge variety of equipment, more accomodating hours, etc.

I think you have to think about things you like to do to work out. I'm not dissing curves because I think they are great because they're making workouts more accessible for a lot of women. I have a lot of friends who go there and just love it.

Cheers, Carlee
    Carleerun for the Presidential Challenge <br />Go BootCamp Buddies Go!!!

crystallyn Guest

I actually just cancelled my Curves membership (after a year) and joined a regular gym. I just didn't feel like it challenged me enough...and I was definitely bored. The hours were the tough part...they didn't start early enough and didn't have many weekend hours.

I think Curves is great for beginners or if you are trying to get back into exercising, or if you have very little time to fit exercise in. It was good for me then, but I always felt like I was barely exercising. Just my two cents.

Thumbs down

I was looking forward to joining thought it would be a good place to start back into exercising.

Right before joining I found out they are well known as being an anti abortion company. Thats fine and dandy but as a woman that is pro choice I refuse to give them a penny of my money.

I dont expect this to matter to anyone, but if it does thought I would throw it out there.
    Sarah
    208/192.5/114

crystallyn Guest

Wow Sarah, if I had known that I wouldn't have been forking out my $35 a month for a year either!

Me neither! This is the first I've heard of this. If you could link me to a source, I'd be very interested in reading the whole story. I didn't enjoy the workouts at Curves as much as I love my time at the Y, so I would not have re-upped anyways. Plus, early morning and late night accessibility? Muscular hunks in the weight room? Oh, yeah!!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I am so glad to find a group of buddies that cares enough to support their principles by their economic actions. Please note that this also includes everybuddie who would choose Curves over other fitness centres because the pro-life philosophy is in line with their own belief system! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Gaining Momentum and losing weight!

Here is one more.

Draw your own conclusions. For me personally, the words that come out of his (the owners) mouth make me ill. The causes he supports and his well known stance on choice are more than enough for me to boycott.

Like I said, I dont expect anyone to feel like I do. I just wanted to put what I've learned out there. Do with it what you will. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sarah
    208/192.5/114

The recap paragraph, "All this is by way of saying that while it's correct to identify Gary Heavin as a patron of pro-life endeavors, it would not be right to point to Curves as a supporter of those same causes."

Perhaps hoax isn't the correct term. I stand corrected on that.

Doesn't matter to me. I don't do Curves, don't plan on it. If I did, what the owner chooses to do with his money is his right as an American as are his beliefs, same as all of us.

Might as well toss Domino's Pizza and Carl's Jr. burgers in there too for boycotting. According to the same Snopes article, they're into the pro-life movement in a large way. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Not looking to belabor the topic, I simply don't care either way. I will say I'm more than proud to be an American to enjoy the right of freedom of choice, speech, and beliefs. [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

&gt;&gt;Might as well toss Domino's Pizza and Carl's Jr. burgers in there too for boycotting.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Not a problem for me, as a vegan they are already on my list lol.

I agree, great to be able to feel either way. VERY thankful to live here where we can do that!!

I simply started all of this because its something I would have wanted to know. Maybe it will be important to someone else that reads this too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sarah
    208/192.5/114

Why would you say its a hoax? Snopes says the rumors are true...

Another links is here.

I dont know if they donate a LOT or a little, that doesnt seem to be clear cut, but it does seem they are well linked to supporting the anti choice groups.

If I come across anymore links I'll post.
    Sarah
    208/192.5/114

Sarah -
    Thanks for the info! I have been trying to decide between joining Curves and It Figures (a similar system) and that information tipped the scales away from Curves for me.

Thought about curves. Am a YMCA and member and love it. Curves is close to home but Y gives me so much and gives so much back to the community. Think I'll stick with YMCA!

Replies

Default Re: Curves?

Personally, I belong to the local YMCA. Curves is great for a starting person, but since you already have done some exercising inthe past, I think you will become bored very, very quickly. I understand that they are on the expesive side, for what you are getting. My single membership at the Y is less than their rate at Curves and I get to shower and they have a pool and aerobic classes, among many other things.

In this area, the Curves shuts down from 1-3 in the afternoon. I find that very strange. Do they thing people only go to lunch at noon? My fitness level is higher than I would have any benefit from Curves. People that have never exercised before seem to love it. For me? It would be a waste of money. I would consider your local YMCA, YWCA or a private gym. You will grow out of Curves too quickly if you plan to continue exercising.

Cindi
    Live everyday as if it's your last!

America's.Sweetheart Guest

I joined Curves last week as someone who has never worked out before and I realy like it. It is not just for people who have never worked out before - there are all shapes and sizes there, with high school athletes coming in to work out as well as newcomers. I have noticed changes already and I think if you have been intimidated by a gym its a good place to start. As for expense, where I live it is less than a membership at the local Y and I like the atmosphere better. It may not be for everyone, but I wanted to say something in support of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CindiC
    Curves is great for a starting person, but since you already have done some exercising inthe past, I think you will become bored very, very quickly. I understand that they are on the expesive side, for what you are getting. My single membership at the Y is less than their rate at Curves and I get to shower and they have a pool and aerobic classes, among many other things.

In this area, the Curves shuts down from 1-3 in the afternoon. I find that very strange. Do they thing people only go to lunch at noon? My fitness level is higher than I would have any benefit from Curves. People that have never exercised before seem to love it. For me? It would be a waste of money. I would consider your local YMCA, YWCA or a private gym. You will grow out of Curves too quickly if you plan to continue exercising.

Cindi
    I respectfully disagree. I joined Curves when I was doing hours of aerobic exercise per week but knowing I needed resistance training. I had always avoided it because I was afraid of hurting my back by mishandling something. At Curves, that isn't easy to do since the machines are pretty dummy proof.

Now I'm very fit but still love Curves because I'm lazy. Curves is easy and quick. And I'm not any more bored doing Curves than I am with my home exercise machines. Yes, I do get bored sometimes, but then I go and put my all into a workout and the endorphins re-excite me.

What I like best about Curves is the different types of people you meet. Today I was chatting with an 80+ woman who had had a massive heart attack 14 months ago yet was getting on and off the machines with no more trouble than the other, younger woman there. That gives me hope that I'll be able to age gracefully.

I'm currently traveling and am using the local Curves here to continue to work out. Two nights ago, I ran into a guy at the front desk of the hotel looking for the hours of the local gym because he wanted to work out. It didn't close for 50 minutes but that wasn't enough time for him to work out. At Curves it would be enough time!

I do regret not knowing how to use a universal gym and free weights since often I don't have a car when traveling, therefore can't get to Curves but most hotels have some weights or a universal. But if the workout is going to take an hour or more, then I wouldn't use the hotel machine anyway because it is all I can do to fit in a 40 minute workout when I'm traveling. When I can't get to Curves, I do a short group of resistance exercises (using my body as the weight) in order to at least keep my muscles in some shape.

As for shutting down in the daytime, that's because Curves are small businesses, often owner run and this gives them time to run to the bank while the banks are open. My own Curves has great hours (7 to 9 most days) but hours are a common complaint on the Curves Forum.

As for cost, I wanted to join GoodLife gym but they wouldn't even tell me their rates unless I booked an appointment for a sales session. It was too shady for me. Curves was upfront with their pricing and, yes, they may be a bit pricey, especially compared to a Y, but they are far more convenient for me. The nearest Y is 25 minutes from my house (and that one doesn't have a pool); there are 2 Curves within 15 minutes from my home.

The best thing about Curves is that if I'm available to work out from 3:21 to 4:07 p.m. I can work out. I don't have to wait for machines, or for a class to start. I checked out the municipally run gym that it near my Curves. I went in the morning (10 a.m.) and there were lineups for the weight machines and I'd have to pay for someone to teach me to use it. Workout costs were the same as Curves if I went 3x per week.

I guess it does boil down to me being lazy. If I decide to work out, I want to do it that minute, guaranteed no waiting once I get there. Curves fits the bill entirely for me.
    ...Kathryn
    (181/ 170/ 138)
    (HW/CW/GW)
    Been to goal three times using WW, twice for over a year but I'm way older this time and feel like I'm at war with my body. Height 64.5"

CarmenL Guest

Curves being in the anti abortion movement is another GREAT reason for me to go there.

I really like Curves. It works great for me. I lost 6 inches the first month. I like the music. I like that I don't hurt all the time. I like the staff and the fact that there are no men there and women of all shapes and sizes.

I hate to sweat and the staff keeps the center so cool that I don't get gross.

Carmen

Once again everyone, THANK YOU MUCH for all the terrific feedback! These new posts are so helpful. Being the great procrastinator that I am, hehe, I have not made it to Curves as of yet, but this has motivated me once again. Til next time~ Jel

Thumbs up Re: Curves?

I love Curves. I've been going 4 years and I feel you can still get a good workout. BY Just speeding up one the machines, which gives you stronger resistance. It quick and easy plus you meet new friend and times goes by faster. Our curves have contest all the time to win free t-shirt shorts, bag , socks and other mdse.
    Wendy

SW 154
    GW 142
    CW 137

25. Thumbs up Re: Curves?

I joined curves 3 weeks ago and LOVE it. I tell everyine about it! It is the best workout ever. I am also proud to know that I am helping support the anti-abortion movement! Thanks for pointing that out!!!

I have yet to get measured...but have lost 11lbs in my time there!! I can't wait to see how many inches are gone!! My sister who has been going for quite a while still continues to loose 7lbs a month. It goes by how much you put into your workout. Hope you give it a try!!

Mindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast