Thread: Figuring half servings

I have not been able to find how to figure half servings. I do WW at home and rely on what I read here to help with questions. If you have a portion that (for instance) is 200 calories, 2 fibers and 4 gms fat (4 pts.), if you chose a half portion, how do you figure it? Is the fat and fiber the same for a half portion as it is for a full serving? Or do you half those also?
    Taking it day by day, one step at a time.
    Ya-Ya name: Marchioness Shines like the Sun

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Original reply "I don't mean to sound rude but if you have 1 serving that is 200 calories, 2 fibers and 4 gms fat then you divide all the item in 1/2 so it would be 100 cal/1 fiber/2 fat.

Doesn't it not seem logical that if you 1/2 one thing such as the calories you'd have the other nutritional information?"

Rewording to make it more P/C and how it should have been taken (I am not one for flowery worded posts but more to the point):

I don't mean to sound rude but it is still basic math when you do a 1/2 of a serving. All factors that are to be included in the calculation of points would be divide in half. While we know that at times W/W is not logical (0 point serving x 0 point serving can equal 1 point, etc) this comuptation does not factor into when you are just trying to figure out the total calories/fat/fiber you have eaten for a serving.

So resort back to basic math.

[ June 20, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Kelly_S ]

Yes, it does sound logical, but then so does 0 x 0 = 0. And we all know that that is not the case with WW points. I'm sorry if you think it's a stupid question, but I've learned with points, things may not always be as simple a basic math.

Replies

I wasn't totally clear on that at one time either, Grace, so I'm glad you asked the question. [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

I think it's even harder to understand about figuring the points for 2 servings from the info you have for 1 serving. The best way is to double everything (of course the fiber can only go up to 4) and THEN figure the points, instead of doubling the points you figured out for the one serving. I did it the second way for a long time!
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

judyo53 Guest

That's why I love my WW journal I downloaded a while back since it does the figuring for me, whether doubling or halving. In fact, I can put percentages in like .75 & it changes the calculations.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

I did not mean to make it sound like you were being stupid nor I being rude but if you have 1/2 of a something it is logical that everything is 1/2'd even in W/W.

The 0x0= 0 and other things are based on a formula not servings.

Katie, W/W still allows people to figure points based on the serving and multiply the servings by the number of points they get OR multiply the cal/fat/fiber by the number of servings(which they recommend because of the fiber cap) then figure points.

Common sense on those 'freebies' that are zero points (Cool Whip Free, Sugar Free Jello) would make one realize (at some point or another) that they need to account for them. The only thing is the zero point veggies which are always zero (but the PointTracker for the online people doesn't distinguish between a zero point veggie and something like sugar free jello because it is just based on cal/fat/fiber of the item -- although if they went back and reprogrammed it they could...but then again the Recipe thing over there caps the grams for each recipe at 4 and not per serving).

yahoo Guest

Hi
    SS Katie, I know that there is a 4gm fiber cap, but if you are doubling a serving size am I not supposed to double the fiber too(1 serving=4gm 2 servings=8gm)? I've always doubled everything when figuring points for 2 servings. Is this wrong?

yahoo

imported_Kelly_S Guest

You multiply everything (cal/fat/fiber) by the number of servings you are having then cap the fiber when figuring points.

For example an item that is 110 cal/0 fat/6 fiber per serving and you eat 3 servings would then be: 330 cal/0 fat/18 fiber but when you figure the points it would be 330 cal/0 fat/4 fiber.

Understand.

Now the opposite of the same item 110 cal/0 fat/6 fiber per serving but you eat 1/2 a serving would be 55 cal/0 fat/3 fiber.

Replies

In my opinion, Kel's answer was rude. Prefacing it with "I don't mean to sound rude but" doesn't change that fact.

A Buddy should be able to ask a question here, and get a respectful answer. [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

It's true that in doubling or halving servings 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 4. Probably because the resulting points for one serving is really close to another point value, I'm guessing.

What I usually do if I'm only eating half a serving is figure the points for a whole serving, and then divide the points in half. If I end up with something with a half point in it I either round up, or count it with the half point, depending how desperate I am that day to have every half point available to me!
    It's time to try defying gravity!
    I think I'll try defying gravity!

raidermom Guest

You know, I think back to when I first started here on BCB and the MAIN reason I stuck around here was because of all the helpful and COURTEOUS replies to my questions. I did not have all the answers, and yes, I attended WW meetings. It can be so completely overwhelming at first and all it takes is one little thing to maybe cause us to throw our hands up and say..."forget it".

That "one little thing" should not be "prefaced" comments or replies from other buddies at BCB. There are no experts here. Some may just be starting out and others have been around a few years...but that doesn't give us the right to sound condescending.

A simple answer would have sufficed IMHO.

yahoo Guest

I guess I thought the fiber cap was per serving not for multiple servings. 110 cal/0 fat/6 fiber would be 1 point but three servings would be 6 points? I get not increasing the fiber to reduce points, but it seems if you should be increasing cal and fat for more than 1 serving you should be able to account for fiber per additional serving when figuring points. If I spread the servings out over the day, I would count points for each serving separately(if I eat 3 apples during the day, I don't add them up to find points, I count them separately). It seems like a point disadvantage to eat a double serving than to eat two separate servings. Am I missing something?

I've always counted multiple servings as the points value for the single serving multiplied by the number or servings. Doesn't seem to have impacted my weight loss. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    The Week One book for FlexPoints says:
    Adjust the POINTS value to match the number of servings. For a quick solution, multiply the POINTS value by the number of servings. For a more accurate value, multiply the nutrition information by the number of servings then figure the POINTS with your POINTSfinder.
    So officially you could go either way.
    Joanne
    SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6/CW189

judyo53 Guest

OK, now you've ALL got me thinking again (probably because I'm tired). I always cap my fiber at 4, as per Kelly's reply. But like Yahoo said, if I have the same thing at a different time of the day, I figure it out separately each time. And Joanne mentioned how WW states it can be done both ways, but with the fiber capped at 4 for a double serving, you would most likely get a different point value by figuring the nutrition info first & then figuring the points versus pointing out the item first & then doubling that figure. I'm too sleepy to play around with numbers right now on my WW journal, though, so I'll have to try this another time.

Replies

Kel, I looked my answer up in the Getting Started, Week 1, Flex Points booklet before I initially posted on this thread (and thank you Joanne for posting the actual quote). I said the BEST way is to figure the points adding up all the calories, all the fat, and then using those figures with a cap of 4 for the fiber to get the Points value. I'm sure this is because 1 point can be just a shade over 1 on the slider, or just a shade under 2 points.

So, for example, take a high-fiber item which would what would be, say, 2 points on the slider, & it figured out as just a shade under 3 points (say 2.9 points). The fiber per serving is, say, 5 grams. If you have 3 servings, you could say that was 6 points (2 pts x 3 servings). But, more accurately, if you added up the calories & fat, keeping the fiber at the cap, it comes out to 9 points on the slider. That's because those PARTIAL POINTS add up to WHOLE points the more servings you have.

So WW says you CAN use the servings x points per serving method, but the most accurate is adding everything up and using the slider. What I do is use the servings x points on occasion if it's something I don't eat often, but, if it's an item I eat daily, I am going to use the most accurate method to calculate those points.

I also feel that WW says either way is OK, because some foods are going to come out on the low side between two different points, and some will come out on the high side--they even each other out.

And as far as eating more than one serving of a food in a day, I think a person just needs to decide if they're cheating themselves by "cheating" on how many points they've really eaten . In other words, if you eat one serving, and then 5 minutes later, eat another serving, just to not have to count an extra point or two, you're just cheating yourself. You might as well count 2 servings of that food. But if you have a serving of something, and then later in the day have another serving, I wouldn't worry about going back and "correcting" the points. As with other things in the Points System, the points will even out over the course of the day/week.

[ June 20, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: SSKatie ]
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Katie, Of course I have the same booklet however after asking several leaders the leaders manual still says either way is correct as long as the member is consistent.

It really doesn't matter. There were 3 or 4 of us when we started W/W that did the points figuring that did our points for several days by doing both ways of counting and we always ended at the end of the day with the same number of points. Because of the way W/W rounds up and down it does average out over the course of the day. Oh BTW this was back when it was 1-2-3 and 10% and there was no cap on fiber but most of us at that time used common sense that an item that was high in calories just could not be 1 or 0 points.

I also went back and edited the original (which everyone took as RUDE but it wasn't even asked a few people who are on W/W and they said I wasn't rude) to add (I left the original post) to make it more P/C.

If I was intending to be rude I would have written something to the effect...WELL DUH! if you are gettin 1/2 a serving you'd get half the cal and half the fat and half the fiber. So I hope you see that I wasn't intending to be rude.

[ June 20, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Kelly_S ]

Replies

Kel, that's a good point that you can't "mix your methods" when figuring points--you need to do one or the other. [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]

As far as your post, as we all know it's so hard to determine a person's motivation/mood when they post, just from reading their words. We're so used to looking at people's faces to get a clue as to how they mean what they say. I have noticed that you are a very "to the point" person, and not chatty/wordy with your posts, and I truly don't think you mean to hurt any feelings. You are always there with an answer to someone's question. [img]smile.gif[/img] But I think when you start a post with "I don't mean to be rude," that implies that you think what they said was...shall we say...not so smart?? And it also implies, to me, "why couldn't you figure THAT out??" But your motivation in starting a post that way, from what you're saying, is meaning "Come on...use your head!"--more of a parental attitude. So, to avoid confusion, maybe you should 'splain when you use phrases that can have several meanings. [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]
    *He leadeth me.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

No not always. I start them out that way many times because I am straight forward and to the point and because of that people take it wrong so I forewarn them. If they choose to take it rude then there is nothing I really can do.

You cannot control the way someone reacts only your reactions to them.

I have received many PMs that I was not rude from other Buddies so I am taking the 2 or 3 here that did with a grain of salt...and of course a glass of water to help with the sodium in the salt!

Replies

Kel, re: the statement you made to Grace 45 in your original post:

"Doesn't it not seem logical that if you 1/2 one thing such as the calories you'd have the other nutritional information?"

Obviously, it was NOT logical to Grace45 or she would have figured that out for herself. So, your answer was indeed being judgemental of her reasoning capabilities. And even if it DID seem logical to her, some newbies are not sure of themselves and come here for VERIFICATION that what they're thinking is right and on target.

Being straightforward with your answers, which we all appreciate, is one thing, but adding a judgement to the question that was asked is another.
    *He leadeth me.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Originally posted by Grace45:
    Or do you half those also?
    Katie I am not longer to going argue especially since in her original post she did have the 'sense' to ask about 1/2ing those other items. So she did know or thought she knew that you did.

Perhaps it's possible to close a thread? I for sure did not mean to start a war here and am sorry if I did. Now that my intellect has been completely dissected, I have been thoroughly chastised and have learned my lesson about ever asking anything (I am so glad I have always told the nurses that I precept there is no such thing as a stupid question) I would like to lay this disscussion to rest. Thanks to those who bothered to answer [img]smile.gif[/img] .

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Grace, No one is chastising you. I am the one being chastised for being blunt with my answers. No one ever (me included) wanted you to feel stupid nor make it so you feel uncomfortable for asking a question(s). I started with as stated before with the "I don't want to"...appear/be/etc rude so that you would know I wasn't making fun or chastising you about your question. The 'doesn't it seem logical' is meant to make us (not just you) stop and think so that it will remain longer. This is an old teaching technique I learned in the military.

Replies

Grace, please DO ask more questions--you were not the cause of any problems. Your post has spurred lots of conversation and that is a good thing. [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img] My intent in confronting Kelly with her answer was due to fear that you felt "silly" for asking the question you did, which we certainly don't want!

I asked millions of questions when I 1st came here to BCB! So please remember that here at BCB, as you tell your nurses, there IS no stupid question. The Weight Watcher program takes a little time and effort to learn, and questions are encouraged. Then, when changes are made to the program...bang! More learning, more questions! So ask away any time!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    *He leadeth me.