Thread: Hard boiled egg white

abigailjessica Guest

Question

I just ate a hard boiled egg, but decided not to eat the yellow part. I was going to count it as the full 2 points but the more I think about it the more I'm unsure if that's correct. If one egg white (like to add to a recipe) is 0 points then would the hard boiled egg white that I just ate also be 0 points? Any thoughts?

Replies

Abby: I believe you would be correct!

Kellie
    5'10" SW 243/CW 212/WW 174/PG 160
    ~~Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain

imported_Kelly_S Guest

1 egg white no matter how cooked (unless with oil) is 0 points
    2 egg whites are 1/2 a point
    3 and 4 egg whites are 1 point.

abigailjessica Guest

Smile

WOW! That is great news! Thanks.

judyo53 Guest

One of the last of my favorite Marth Stewart shows (it was a rerun) had her make a hard boiled egg white salad. You could make it with lite or fat free mayo (I'm a Miracle Whip lover) & your preferred added spices, etc., which would offer something different on low point bread.

I love egg salad & haven't tried this yet (I hate wasting the yolks), but I think I will soon.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

When I want a fried egg I take 1 whole egg + 4 egg whites for 3 points! My fried egg is the size of my dinner plate!

judyo53 Guest

Kelly,

I'm gonna have to try that with one egg & my eggbeaters. That way I won't feel guilty about wasting any yolks. I'm assuming it would work out OK.

Replies

Judy, that's a great idea! I'm gonna try that!
    So thanks!

Have you seen that egg peeler thingy advertised on TV? You make a hole in it, put it on the little guillotine, and then SMASH--it's peeled. I'd like to know how that REALLY works. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

judyo53 Guest

Katie,

I'm such a sucker for anything "As Seen On TV." Even had hubby oohing & ahhing over the egg sheller thingy. I kept yelling, "I want that! I want that!" Then I realized how many times a year I make hard boiled eggs. Not many. But that contraption is so cool.

Replies

We received a recipe yesterday for egg white omelet with veggies. I do make them sometimes with a slice of ff. cheese melted into it.

I usually buy a container of egg whites because I hate throwing out the yokes.

Ashlee
    Be the change that you want to be.

11. Post

I'm going to try the fried egg thing with 1 egg and the carton of egg whites.
    -Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Do ya'll realize how much cheaper a carton of eggs is even if you toss the yolks out than buying the "EGG WHITES" or "EGG BEATERS"?

I give the egg yolks I don't use to my cats and dogs....helps keep their coats (and recommended by my vet) glossy.

13. Post

Kelly, I used to think so, but it takes 3 egg whites to equal the volume of an egg, so egg beaters are a little cheaper. 1 carton of eggs, using just the whites, only makes 4 eggs. I normally buy just eggs, but sometimes get the egg beaters adn just found the egg whites.
    -Christina

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Ok I don't know where you live but I pay $2.99 or more for 1 2-cup container of Egg Beaters (and that is at Super Wal-Mart). That is equal to 8 eggs right.

3 egg whites are equal to the volume of 1 egg so you can get the equivalent volume of eggs out of 1 carton of eggs that runs 59. So 24 eggs for $1.10 I get the same volume as 1 container of Egg Beaters for $1.89 less than what it cost for them.

That is why I am saying it is much cheaper.

15. Post

Oh, well around here eggs run about $1.39 and egg beaters small carton are about $1.89. I was thinking that they were 6 eggs? Which would take 1 1/2 dozen eggs = $2.09. I could be off, but that was what I was thinking off the top of my head. Like I said, I don't normally buy egg beaters, so I can't remember exactly how many there are.
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

judyo53 Guest

I can no longer purchase eggs (even at Aldi's) for 59 cents. And since I don't shop there often I also pay over $1.00 per carton of 12 medium sized eggs (usually $1.29 & up). And I get store brand egg whites in a carton but can't remember what I pay for that. So when I go shopping next I'll have to do the math. But the price of eggs has really jumped in my area.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

WOW!

18. Post

There's no way I'm throwing out my egg yolks, even to save points! I only buy organic, cage-free eggs (for ethical reasons) and they run $2.50-$3.00 a carton.
    Ya-ya name: Queen Glimmering Moon<br /><br />Age 47<br />5' 7 1/2"<br />SW: 160<br />CW: 149<br />GW: 150

Replies

Hi to all Bootcamp Buddies. I am new to the group, lost almost 35 pounds so far since May 7, 2003, but am an up and down loser. I haven't been consistently OP but now with bootcamp that should change. Anyway I wanted to share that I went to River City Diner. They have omelets on their menu. I asked the waitress if they would do an egg white omelet (veggie w/cheese). Husband rolled eyes. Waitress said, "sure, no problem." Must be a fairly common request. I felt so good that I had asked. It was 4 egg whites and very filling. I'm glad I found this group. You look like a great support group.

Replies

w8120, what a great idea!! I'd never thought of that one, but I'm gonna do that the next time I go to a restaurant! Thanks, buddy! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies

you have to be VERY careful with IHOP--they often add pancake batter to their eggs for omelettes--always be sure to clarify with the waitress when ordering--no pancake batter and not to fry it in a lot of fat--if you look at the NI for IHOP, you will see that their omelettes are very high in points--
    Ouis

224/212/177/145

hard-corer

There is no "try," there is only "do"~ Yoda

IHOP is also very accomodating. They can make Eggbeater veggie omlets. (Hey, I like yellow omlets), and they even have "diet" syrup, if you ask for it.

Egg whites are definitely less expensive (in Houston) than Eggbeaters. Sometimes I mix the two. In salads, I also use one regular hard-boiled egg with an extra hard-boiled egg white to stretch it, out without adding points.

I do use a single egg white ("fried" in Pam), for easy low-point breakfast sandwiches. (yum!)
    You are what you eat!<br /><br />*********************************

Replies

Smile

Such an interesting egg discussion!

I buy the "good" eggs, uncaged, organic and DELICIOUS for $3.75 a dozen. Totally worth it for a good egg!

THEN, I buy my "dopey" eggs. I use them for egg whites only. And I buy cheap ones.

Now I've just been putting them in my compost bucket, along with the shells. I used to make "cold compost" in my VitaMix...all vegetable trimming, eggshells, etc. along with water and "vvrroooommm"! I then put this mixture directly on top of the soil. It was the BEST fertilzer I ever used!

SURELY we can think of other ways to use egg yolks?!

(But turning them into "dirt" ain't a bad idea... )
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com

Replies

I buy free range eggs from a local hobby farmer. His chickens are happy, healthy free rangers. He is glad to sell off his extras to help pay for chicken feed to cover the winter months, and I am happy to have eggs from cruelty free, happy chickens! He only asks $1 a dozen, but I give him more, just to promote the cause. It takes a lot of asking around to find eggs, after I lost my last supplier (her kids grew up, and sold off their chickens!), it took me almost a year to find a new farmer, but it is worth it, once you taste the eggs!