Thread: ? on PB sandwich

Jen815 Guest

Ok guys, I need help. How do you guys figure your PB? I buy the reduced fat Jiffy which according to the package I believe is 4 pts for 2 tablespoons. I buy the Pepperidge Farm Very Thin bread which is two slices for 1 pt and then I'm hoping that I am only putting 1 tablespoon of PB on there which would make it a small 3 pt sandwich. Do you think I'm fooling myself or does this sound about right? Should I be actually measuring out with a measuring spoon and then levelling it off for 1 tbsp? I'm so not good with those measuring spoons. Thanks!

[ April 05, 2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Jen815 ]

It's real easy to use a measuring spoon in the peanut butter jar. Level it on the side of the jar or turn the spoon upside down and scrape it on the edge to level. I do it twice a day in fact.

Yes! Measure!

You believe your peanut butter is 4 pts. per 2 tablespoons? Figure the points and know for sure! And most importantly measure, measure, measure! Get out your measuring spoons... scoop and level that PB! I have yet to meet anyone who can eyeball exact amounts!
    Lisa
    ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~: ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

Replies

Definitely measure. You're much more than likely fooling yourself. I was shocked at how little 1 TBSP of peanut butter is - it's the amount I would have thought was 1 TEASPOON. (Tip: it spreads much more easily on warm bread.)

Jen815 Guest

Ok, thanks for your input guys.

I did break down and measure. It seems I have been using less than a tbsp on my sandwiches. I have been spreading it really thin, because of not being sure. Now I know exactly how much I can have for that 2 pts. My PB (the reduced fat Jiffy) is in fact 4 pts for 2 tbsp. I double checked to be sure. So if you spread 1 tbsp of the reduced fat PB on the Pepperidge Farm Very Thin white bread you have got yourself a really good 3 pt sandwich.

Now, I wish I would have measured earlier!

Thanks again Buddies! [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Nice job everyone, convincing Jen to measure! Now then, why are you using reduced fat peanut butter? Did you know that regular peanut butter is also only 2 points for one tablespoon? and, it tastes much better, too.
    Additionally, Peanut butter has GOOD FAT in it == so reducing the fat is not really a good thing, when it comes to that. If you can have the real thing for same number of points, go for it! Try soy butter, almond butter and casher butter, too (cash. is a little higher in points, but very very worth it. Go here: www.ilovepeanutbutter.com they ship all over the continental us.
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

rhiannon828 Guest

I weigh my PB rather than using a measuring spoon. I just put the bread on a plate on the food scale and scoop on a little bit of PB at a time until I get to one serving. The PB label should give the serving size in volume (2 T) and weight (x grams). For example, Peter Pan whipped PB has a serving size of 2 tablespoons (24 g).

Replies

I love peanut butter and can't get enough, it is a trigger food for me so measuring is a MUST. I like to do the water displacement method for fun if the kids are around. They just love mucking and I guess so do I. Keeps the tbsp clean too for other measures. I feel better when grade 7 home-ec comes in handy!! I don't think a steady daily diet of peanut butter sandwiches would keep me satisfied for long and I'd be on the prowl for quick choices that were not planned. Too much of one item .... [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img]

I don't know about Jen, but I actually prefer the taste of reduced fat Jif over regular PB (including regular Jif). I normally use 2TBSP/sandwich because I like mine toasted and creamy and 2TBSP of RF Jif is 4pts compared to 5 pts with the regular stuff.

edited to say that I also weigh mine out - using the measuring spoons is too much hassle for me!

[ April 05, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: itsjustme ]
    ~ Pam ~
    homeschooling mom to 3 girls
    "It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

Replies

Peanut butter is good choice for fat and protein. The two mixed together help make us feel more satisfied.

I also would question choice of reduced fat. I use all natural peanut butter that is also 2 points for 1 Tbl. However, it is difficult to spread.
    Shining from the inside out is definitly what it's all about.

Replies

I use the all natural peanut butter too. If you turn the jar upside down after you buy it and let all the oil flow to the bottom of the jar, it's easier to stir in. Keep it in the fridge then and the oil never separates and it always stays easy to spread.

Ann
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Jen815 Guest

I bought the reduced fat assuming it was less than the regular suff. It is one less point than the regular Jiffy. And for me a point is a point anyway you look at it. Every time I go to the grocery store I look for the Whipped Peter Pan I think??, can't remember the pts for that one off the top of my head, but I've heard about it here on the boards. I've never found it though.

The whipped Peter Pan is 3 points per 2 tablespoons, HOWEVER; it is made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils A.K.A. Trans Fats! Boo, hiss!
    Lisa
    "How many times must you fall and then get back up before reaching the goal? Do it as many times as it takes." CW

klerisa Guest

What kind of stores have the Whipped PB? I cannot find that stuff to save my soul.

Brookshires in Texas has it.

SSKatie had some at her Ebay store if you can't find some locally.

I personally didn't care for it. Rather spend the points and have the non whipped.

I believe Katie closed her eBay store.
    Lisa

Replies

Actually, I still have quite a bit if anyone wants any! Just PM me. [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.