Thread: low-carb tortillas

Question

Anyone know how many points in a low carb tortilla? There are so many fiber grams it is hard to tell with my pointsfinder.

Replies

You can only count 4 grams of fiber towards the Points calculation. Set your Points finder on "4 or more" and go from there.
    Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)
    2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130
    My pictures!
    "Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Replies

I bought a brand at my local Super WalMart that had only 1 pt when I used the 4 grams of fiber.
    Shining from the inside out is definitly what it's all about.

The *La Tortilla Factory* tortillas (smaller sized ones) come out to 0 points on the point finder for 1...(I count it as point though)...The large sized ones also are 1pt for one...I love them...

As Kelly_ has said many time before, the only thing that's zero is VEGETABLES that Weight Watchers has included in their formula as part of your daily points,

Alas, many of you have not been around long enough to have seen the text in the Getting Started book (and many of you are not members of WW, technically, but are doing the program through hearsay and other means.) BUT, a critical thing to note is this: THERE ARE NO ZERO POINT ANYTHING except certain veggies.

In "The 10% DIFFERENCE" which was the first POINTS program inside the explanation of calculating points, it said, "ANY HIGH FIBER FOOD THAT CALCULATES TO ZERO other than veggies MUST BE COUNTED AS ONE POINT PER SERVING. That is, any cereal, bread, pasta, or grain that comes to 0 points on the pointsfinder must be considered one point per serving." Why? Because unlike veggies that are loaded w/ water, these not only are DRY (cereal) but also have CALORIES (as Kelly has so perfectly stated) and so NO MATTER how many 'grams of fiber' a food item has, you move the points finder to 4 (if it's over 4) and calculate from there.

There is really NOTHING complicated about this... The point is, that WW wants you to eat what you like but understand that it has calories and can't be considered a zero. It is their mistake (i'm a leader and have been nagging them for a long time about this) that they have omitted it from the Getting Started Books after 1999.

A new program? A new means of calculating points? The POINT IS THIS: NOTHING is zero except certain veggies... But really, we didn't gain our weight eating veggies or fruit -=- but we gained it by eating a) constantly, b) too big portions c) without consideration as to whether we were actually hungry d) randomly.
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

imported_Renée Guest

Wow, very interesting about the 0 points. Thank you for explaining this, rouenmom. I don't think I've ever seen that in a post before or heard it at my meetings.
    Thanks! [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Renée

Replies

Actually, if you thumb through your Food Companion or Supermarket Companion, you will find that there are a very few 0 point foods (ex. Coolwhip and some low cal spreadable fruits). But they are zero point for 1 serving and that serving is preeeeetttty small.

Replies

Talking

Just came home from Sam's Club & found "Carb Chopper" Tortillas made by the Santa Fe Tortilla Company..

Per tortilla (they're the large size)

100 calories
    3.5 gms fat
    7 grms fiber

= a whopping "1" point per tortilla!!!!

haven's tried them yet, but they look just like regular tortillas...
    Joanna

Ya-Ya Name ~Princess Sparrow Hawk ~

Recommitted 2-13-04 ~ Lifetime since 9-11-90
    Heaviest weight ~ 135.6 ~ Recommit weight ~ 135.6 (2-13-04)
    Current weight ~ 120.9 (8-27-04)

WW goal ~ 105, My goal ~ 99 (my weight when I made lifetime - I'm 4' 11" tall!!)

~~~ "Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten." ~~~ Robin of Sherwood

Roux is right...there ARE zero point foods...For me personally, I have always counted the higher fiber breads, cereals, etc as a point even if they are zero on the points finder...but there are many who don't and are still successful on the program...My leader has said if counting those as zero is working for you, then continue to do so. Any food that isn't portion controlled will be more points obviously. I'm not sure why this is such a big issue with some...

10. Post

I have searched high and low for low point tortillas to no avail. I can only find 2 point small ones adn 4 point large ones. I did find some small (very small) 1 point ones one time at PUblix, but they were dry and gross. Can anyone recommend brands to me?
    -Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Both Mission and Arizona brands have low fat tortillas. The Soft Taco sizes are 1 point.

They both make a low carb one.

Yes these are more like wraps and not tortillas (they are thicker than traditional tortillas).

You can make them more moist by microwaving with a damp paper towel.

12. Post

The mission 98% ff ones were 2 points last time i checked. I guess I'll have to go check again. I didnt' notice any tortillas at sams, but I'm going to go back and check to see if they have those 1 point ones.
    -Christina

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.
    -Dr. Phil

imported_Kelly_S Guest

christinadei,

It will depend on the size. The 1 point ones are only like 6" across, the 2 point ones are the next size up.

I purchased somem whole wheat tortillas at Jewel that come out to 2 tortillas for 1 point! I really don't like store bought tortillas because I am used to my Mom's handmade ones. The store bought tortillas usually have a sweet taste that I do not care for, but these whole wheat ones are really good!
    Linda<br />170.5/148.5/130

15. Post

What brand were they? the wheat ones I found were still 2 points and I didn't like them too much anyway [img]graemlins/sobbing.gif[/img]
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

I don't remember the brand, but I'll check at home and then get back to you.
    Linda<br />170.5/148.5/130

imported_Kelly_S Guest

La Tortilla Factory has 2 (small...very small) tortillas for 1 point.

Check in the diet/low carb section of your grocery store...they aren't in the refrigerated section, but with the dry groceries...that's where I found the LaTortilla factory ones...the small ones have different flavors...whole wheat, onion, herb and garlic...very tasty and about the size of any other small tortilla...they have more texture and are a little more flat than a regular tortilla...1 pt for one...(comes to zero on the points finder for one, but two comes to 2 points with the fiber cap) They have a large sized one also in the whole wheat that is also only 1pt...I especially like them because of the high fiber and protein content...makes it much more filling and satisfying...You can get them from some low carb online stores if you can't find them anywhere else...

[ April 14, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: bskc1991 ]

19. Post

Thanks, you guys are great. I never thought to look on the diet isle.
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

20. Post

I just found the 1 point carb choppers at sams! Yay. i can't wait to try them out.
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

Replies

Talking

Glad you found them Christina...

Found them last week & just tried a couple of days ago.... REALLY, REALLY GOOD!!

[img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]
    Joanna

Ya-Ya Name ~Princess Sparrow Hawk ~

Recommitted 2-13-04 ~ Lifetime since 9-11-90
    Heaviest weight ~ 135.6 ~ Recommit weight ~ 135.6 (2-13-04)
    Current weight ~ 120.9 (8-27-04)

WW goal ~ 105, My goal ~ 99 (my weight when I made lifetime - I'm 4' 11" tall!!)

~~~ "Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten." ~~~ Robin of Sherwood

22. Post

I agree, they were very good! Highly reccommended by me!
    -Christina

-Dr. Phil

YEA! I finally found a one point tortilla!! I tried the carb choppers from Sam's and they are very good.
    Janice
    Ya-Ya Name: Duchess Five and Dime

SW243/CW219/GW137

There are only 2 choices: make progress or make excuses.

Some succeed because they are destined; others succeed because they are DETERMINED.