Thread: deli sloppy joe

1. Question

Ok, when I was little a sloppy joe was the burger and tomato sauce sandwhich.

However, I was introduced to a different sloppy joe:

3 slices of thin rye bread with 4 types of meat in between (pastrami, roast beef, corned beef, turkey) plus russian dressing and coleslaw--soooo good!

How many points do you think that is? I had the junior with 2 meats.

Thanks

Unhappy

Yes, so good, but so many points! It would be impossible to figure without the nutritional info. on the bread, cold cuts, dressing, etc...

Personally, if I ate something like this without knowing the points I would put 10 points down for it to encourage myself NOT to do this again.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

It's gonna be way more than 10 points. The bread alone is 6 points. Coleslaw is 2 points per 1/4 cup, so that's another 2-4 points for the sandwich, depending on how much they added (my bet would be 1/3 to 1/2 cup b/c 1/4 cup doesn't cover much - so figure at least 3 points). Russian Dressing is 2 points per TBSP, so figure another 4-6 points for the dressing. The points for the meat will vary depending on what you selected: 1 oz pastrami is 3 points (some types of Boars Head pastrami are 1 point per oz), 1 oz turkey is generally 1 point, 1 oz deli style roast beef is generally 1 points, and 1 oz corned beef is 1 point. Figure around 3 points for the meat, if you think you got around 3 oz.

That's 16-20 points, assuming they did not grill it - when they grill, they add butter, so add another 2 points for that.

(By comparison, take a look at www.dwlz.com for Scholtzsky's - their Small Original sandwich - 3 types of meat, 3 cheeses but no mayo, no coleslaw, no Russian Dressing - is 18 points.)

(Next time, eat half the sandwich. Trust me - I've had those filling, grilled, meaty-dressing-y sandwiches, and half is all you need.) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Calgal: I "sit" corrected. I think I said 10 points just for "shock" value.
    If I ate something like this without knowing the points beforehand, 10 points would be enough to shock me out of doing this again. But, I think you are right. This was probably more like 18 points.

Dawna
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Replies

Dawna, LOL. I guess we have different "shock" thresholds. 10 points for a sandwich doesn't shock (or deter) me if I think it will keep me full for the rest of the day and I'm planning a very light (i.e. soup and/or salad or oatmeal) dinner. In fact, I often have 8-10 point lunches. Now, go north of 10 points, and I'll have a cow. Any meal north of 15 points is an absolute no-no, except for real special occasions where I have extra flex points saved. The idea of "spending" 18-20 points on a sandwich when I have a target of 20 points per day would freak me out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

6. Smile

Thanks for the replies. I know I went overboard and have to do my best since all my flex points were used yesterday.

Have a good week everyone!

Cool

Cal, Boy...can I relate to what you are saying.

For me, a "big" splurge is 15 points on a small box of fried clams, my absolute all time fav.treat. I only have this treat maybe twice a year, usually in the summertime when clams are small and sweet. Oh, man....now my mouth is watering.

Dawna