Thread: Skim milk and Half & Half

I started WW points last Wed and have been reading everyones ideas and recipes. I have made some of the 0 pt soup and plan to make another one today. It was great. So far I have been doing ok and today the scale said 2 lbs less so that was exciting but will wait till Wed to "really" get excited.
    Any way my question is about skim milk. I love milk and didn't drink it for a couple of days because of the points but really got to missing it. I can not tolerate skim milk. [img]graemlins/ugh.gif[/img] I went to the store and bought a half gal of skim milk and a pint of fat free half and half. Combined them and counted calories and fat and fiber.
    Half gal of skim milk = 8 cups 720 cal
    1 pint of Half & Half = 2 cups 320 cal
    I came up with 1040 calories for 10 cups of combined milk. No fat, no fiber.
    Did the sliding scale thing and came up with 2 points per cup.
    Did I do this correct? I sure hope so because this milk I can drink.
    Thanks
    Linda
    LindaLS
    http://www.knitting-n-crochet.com

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Look for a Skim Plus milk (it is a skim milk with the consistency of 2% and the taste of whole).

girlinmotion Guest

I drink 1%. It tastes better than skim, and it is still 2 points per cup.

Replies

The points may be OK mixing 1/2 milk and 1/2 H & H, but you can't count a cup of that as a milk serving. Half and Half is mostly corn syrup and chemicals, has only 4% calcium, no vitamin D, and no protein. A milk serving has to have 25% calcium & "protein, zinc, riboflavin, and vitamin D (if fortified)." That mixture is only a 1/2 cup serving of milk.

I also drink the 1% or 2% milk which I think tastes fine! It took a while to get accustomed to the taste but after a while you really won't notice the difference. Try using it on cereal 1st with some added sweetener, or use it in pudding or some recipe. Don't give up on the lower fat milk! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Unhappy

Thank you everyone. 2 % is only 2 points? I thought it was 3 points. I have never seen the skim plus around here. 1 % looks and taste the same as skim for me. I won't give up. Never gave the nurtrition a thought, darn and I have to have the calcium,
    Linda
    LindaLS
    http://www.knitting-n-crochet.com

Replies

Linda, 2% milk IS still 3 points. The 1% and 1/2% is 2 points. But just look at the nutritional info on the carton, because that rules over everything else anyway!
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.