Thread: Any ideas on points for Lumpia?

1. Question

Hello All-
    My brothers birthday is tonight so mom is making his favorite dish... Lumpia. It is a recipie from the Phillipines. It is like an eggroll, but there is meat and veggies. Then you wrap it in really thin rappers and fry them. Does anybody have any ball park point ideas? Thanks guys!
    Weigh to go guys! amber

Hi Amber...

Oooh, I love these. Good thing I don't know how to cook Filipino food (even though I am Filipino!) because I'd be making these every weekend. I would say they are about 5 points per 5 inch roll. With all the oil, that is what makes it so high point. In my WW food companion, they have a pork spring roll under the Vietnamese section listed as 5 points, so I'm using that as the gauge. Hope your brother enjoys them!
    Sincerely,
    Cat
    HW167 / WW140 / CW125

Talking

I LOVE Lumpia!! My hubby and I both love to make these for any social event. I was hesitant to try something that someone suggested to lower the point value...but it DID work! Instead of frying them in oil, spritz them with some PAM and bake them on a baking sheet w/ parchment paper OR on a baking stone. I can't remember the temperature offhand, but I believe it's 400 degrees for 20 minutes. It's easy to tell when they're done. Our guests couldn't tell the difference at all...I knew they were a little crispier, but it wasn't a BAD thing.

I also bought the leanest pork and beef along with low-sodium soy sauce and I cut back on the salt. Doing it this way and measuring out the meat mixture brought my Lumpias down to 1 point apiece!!

That's not too bad hey? The hard part is eating only a few.....

4. Talking

Thanks guys! I am using my flex points for the week, I know it iwll be worth it. I know if I sit down and say I am going to eat only one I will get really down. And when that happens I eat a plateFULL! Well thanks guys!
    Weigh to go guys! amber

Bada Bing,

Please share your lumpia recipe with this clueless American-born Filipino girl! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sincerely,
    Cat
    HW167 / WW140 / CW125

Smile

Several years back, a young Filipino girl would bring Lumpias to work and I would always request the recipe. Nope. So I went on a search for a recipe that was close to what she made, and this is the closest I could find. I've seen them with more vegetables, but these are more meat and ground carrot... I hope this is what you are looking for!

I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com, here is the link:

Lumpia

Like I said, I cut back on that salt...it was way too much IMHO.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link, Cathy! [img]graemlins/thumbup.gif[/img]
    Sincerely,
    Cat
    HW167 / WW140 / CW125