Thread: Veggie Points

1. Post

I posted this in Veggie Lovers thread and didn't get much of a response so I decided to try this thread.

I really don't understand how vegetable points work. How can a serving be 1/2 cup yet 1 cup of tomatoes or cucumbers be 0 points?

Also, let's say a have a salad. 1 cup of lettuce, 1 cup of tomatoes, 1 cup of cucumbers. That is 5 servings and 0 points.

What if I decide to have 1 cup of celery with my cottage cheese later that day.

Would it still be considered 0 points or because I've had my 5 servings of veg already would it count some points?
    Debbie B.

This is an issue with all of us -- IF the veggies are zero points (certain vegs. now have points and they don't count for this discussion) then you can safely say that your celery (or any other veg) later on in the day is still zero. The dietary guideline is "Eat a MINIMUM of 5 servings of vegetables (and fruit -- but you have to limit fruit on WW) daily."

I hope I didn't confuse you further. HOWEVER, if you are eating MORE than, say, 8 servings of veggies a day, then theoretically, each serv. after 8 should be counted... but again, did any of us gain our weight eating veggies?
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

Actually, no. Your celery, or other zero point veg would still be zero.

WW says 5 servings a day of veggies and fruit. As leaders, we are encouraged to tell you that you should limit your FRUIT and VEG to no more than 3 points a day -- and presumably, those points would be from fruit unless you eat scads of cooked carrots (1 pt per cooked cup) or now, sugar snap peas and Chinese pea pods.

The dietary guideline (as promoted by the US Govt) suggests a MINIMUM of 5 servings a day of veggies.

As a dear friend of mine says, "Unless you're strapping a 5 lb bag of carrots under your chin as a feed bag, there's no reason to count veggies" -- unless you really regularly eat in excess of 8 servings a day.

Did that make it better or worse? Let me know.
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

4. Talking

Thank you for your replies. Very funny. I quess I take myself a little too seriously worrying about celery. Both of your posts made me laugh.
    Debbie B.

Good to hear. Glad I didn't confuse you, and more glad that you laughed! have a skinny day tomorrow!