Thread: McDonald's Makes Attempt to HELP us

Here's an article from yesterday's New York Times.

September 16, 2003
    McDonald's Enlists Trainer to Help Sell Its New Meal By SHERRI DAY

How many footsteps would it take to burn off the calories in a supersize Big Mac value meal? Bob Greene, Oprah Winfrey's personal trainer, may soon have the answer.
    Mr. Greene, who helped Ms. Winfrey lose weight again and again, has pledged to help Americans get in shape at McDonald's.
    Executives at the company are scheduled to announce Mr. Greene's new role today in Indianapolis.
    Mr. Greene will be promoting the Go Active Meal, a $4.99 adult version of the Happy Meal, which has a salad and a bottle of water or a medium fountain drink. Dessert? The meal includes a clip-on pedometer, to encourage customers to increase daily walking, and a 10-page booklet with exercise tips from Mr. Greene. The meal is part of a pilot program in several Indiana cities.
    Mr. Greene's appointment is McDonald's latest attempt to recast itself as a purveyor of healthy food in the face of criticism that fast-food companies have contributed to the increasing number of obese people. In March, the company introduced a line of salads, topped with Newman's Own salad dressing.
    McDonald's is also introducing today a taco version of the popular salad line. Later this year, McDonald's restaurants are expected to sell chicken nuggets made entirely of white meat and to offer apple dippers, which are apple slices with a caramel dipping sauce.
    Executives at McDonald's have also been trying to improve the taste of its burgers and fries, enhance customer service and work harder to keep restaurants and bathrooms clean. Many of its efforts appear to be working; sales at restaurants open at least a year have increased in the United States for five consecutive months.
    Enlisting Mr. Greene to help bolster the company's image shows "a commitment to participate in and promote healthy lifestyles," said Pam Murtaugh, a management consultant based in Madison, Wis. "But it's also not focusing on the foods, which is excellent. It's a really counter-couch-potato and counter-drive-through message, which can be very useful to them."
    But a consumer group questioned whether Mr. Greene and his fitness message would truly educate McDonald's customers.
    "If he has any independence and integrity as he talks about the few nutritious McDonald's foods, he would also warn consumers about McDonald's dietary catastrophes," said Michael F. Jacobson, the executive director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a health advocacy group in Washington.
    He added, "I think the pedometers are terrific, but after most meals at McDonald's you're going to have to do an awful lot of walking to neutralize those calories."
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

Replies

Thanks for posting the article. I don't think that the active meal is going to do very well. They already have salads at McDonalds so it doesn't sound like they are really making much of a change. I know when I go to McDonalds I do not want to eat a salad. I would prefer it if they would have a grilled chicken sandwhich, veggie burger, turkey burger, or even a regular burger made with the 5% fat ground beef offered on a whole wheat bun at a reasonable price. I think that would do better than these salad meals.
    - Betina

Sounds good in theory, but we shall see how it works in practice.
    "There is more to be said about your character in what you say "no" to as opposed to what you say "yes" to." --Vivian, my WW leader

"If you believe you are destined for greatness, are you living like it?" --Dr. Phil

4. Post

Betina, Our Mcdonalds here DO have grilled chicken. Of course you have to tell them to not put mayo or cheese on it.

When I go to Mcdonalds I order the Mcgrill w/mustard no cheese and Untoasted bun. I get a side salad with the vinergarette.

I believe the sandwhich is around 7pts the salad o pts the dressing is o points also.

Water is free last I checked so youll be paying 5 bucks for a new cheap toy and a salad. no thanks =) I already run 5x a week!

Tiff

Replies

Betina,
    The Burger Kings in FL have veggie burgers on their menus. I have not had one yet and I don't know the points for one. That may be a fast food option.
    Jeanie [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "Magic Happens when you believe" <br />-Me-<br />YaYa Name-Goddess Ants in Her Pants<br />Goal 10% by 12-2003<br />before WW-195<br /> CW-190.5<br /> 10%-175.5<br /> Goal-135