Thread: Red Bull??

We can't get Red Bull here in Canada, so while in Seattle this week, I bought some. It's pretty tasty and does have a good boost of caffeine but for 2 points (non-sugar free one) what's so great about Red Bull? Is it just trendy right now?

christa
    Recommit - Jan 2008
    Highest weight - 170
    170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Replies

It is very trendy rightg now. I am a bartender here in San Francisco & it is often used to mix drinks... epecially Vodka and Red Bull or the "Burt Reynolds": Jagermeister and Red Bull.
    Personally I like the Sugar Free Bull if I'm dragging during or after my workout!
    SFCat
    Ya Ya name: Duchess Green Thumb<br />Heaviest: 158<br />SW: 143.8<br />CW: 129.4<br />"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."<br />Anonymous

imported_Kelly_S Guest

The trendy phase is really over. It is a great 'pick me upper' (caffeine) and it is great for a hangover. The Sugar Free are zero and tastes. I even like the taste.

It is an energy drink.

Boy, I had one today before I worked out and it totally kept me going (Body Pump and Step classes). I rather like it. I looked on the label and it doesn't appear to have anything dangerous like ephedera in it. Am I right in thinking that? I wonder why it's not permitted in Canada? Must be the claim it makes to boost the mind and body - not allowed to do that on Canadian products. Hmmmm..... I'll just have to drive to Blaine WA and buy some every once in a while.

Thanks for the input - might try one later with some Stoli Vanil (banked points!).

christa
    Recommit - Jan 2008
    Highest weight - 170
    170/142(ww)/137(pg)

sunnyinslc Guest

Like Cat said, I know lots of folks that mix it with vodka for a nice cocktail before a round of pool or darts.

Sue

Replies

Speaking of trendiness I just finished my bartending shift here in SF. Made several Vodka & Red Bulls and a couple "Burt Reynolds.' The trend thrives.
    SFCat
    Ya Ya name: Duchess Green Thumb<br />Heaviest: 158<br />SW: 143.8<br />CW: 129.4<br />"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."<br />Anonymous

imported_Kelly_S Guest

It's weird that in SF it is still thriving and my small town of Tucson has moved on to other things.

Replies

I've never had, but have been curious, so went looking on the net and found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/W...ll_010718.html
    ---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal
    highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150
    *He leadeth me.

Replies

That is funny. They've tried to market a few other energy drinks to the bar crowd, but none have ever caught on. And of course for every one of those there are a dozen new liquors...
    The newest one here is "Hpnotique"--a mixture of vodka, cognac and fruit flavors that is a pretty aqua blue. Do you guys get that stuff in Tucson?
    SFCat

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Where I go we are pretty much a beer crowds. LOL! And I haven't been to my club in about two months -- got bored with the meat market. I am sure that we have it at some of the'hip hop' and other types of clubs...but the 'cowboy' group doesn't go for the 'colors.'

Replies

I don't much care for the tast of Red Bull. My favorite is the one made by MT. Dew it's called AMP. Very fruity taste.

Kathy T.
    5/28/05 - 251.7
    6/4/04 - -.4

My DF insists that there are energy drinks just as good as Red Bull that are available here in Canada. Says he's going to go and buy me 8 different kinds to see if I like them. We can't get the Mountain Dew one here either. I think there is a law here that no clear drinks can have caffeine in them. That's why our Mt. Dew in Canada is different from yours.

Any suggestions? What about the "Can of Whuppass" one? Is that good? I would prefer less calories.

SFcatwoman: what kind of fruit juices go into the drink to make it blue? Went out last night and had a tonic and lime - love how the tonic glows in the dark. Makes me feel like I'm 'drinking' when I'm actually not. Tricky tricky. lol

Christa
    Recommit - Jan 2008
    Highest weight - 170
    170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Replies

My brother loves Red Bull and Vodka. I haven't tried it yet because I only drink calorie free mixers. I havent seen the sugar free ones in the bars yet. Rockstar is getting pretty popular here too.

Funny how you can get Tylenol with Codeine in it in Canada, buy not caffeine in clear drinks. How funny!

My brother went WWU, so I was in Bellingham all the time when I turned 19 and we would go to Vancouver to party. Oh those were the days! LOL

Tam
    TBONE<br />*** *** *** ***<br />Do what you say, say what you mean.<br /> The Fix<br />Ya Ya Name<br />Viscountess Quick Rabbit <br /> <br />GW Size 8 Petite, Loosely! <br /><br />My Personal Goal: Lose inches, exercise 3-4 days a week and be HAPPY with who I am!

Funny how you can get Tylenol with Codeine in it in Canada, buy not caffeine in clear drinks. How funny!
    I know! My friend and I were joking about that - you can go to any pharmacy and buy Tylenol 3s over the counter but you can't buy Red Bull! The Canadian Food thingy is pretty strict. We don't have products with Olestra here either - which I'm not too sad about. I know when Mt. Dew wanted to change their product in Canada to include caffeine the gov't board asked them for proof that the product would in any way be better than the one available now. They asked "how is adding caffeine going to make it a better product? How will this be beneficial for Canadians? If this product has been working well in Canada for the past umpteen years without caffeine, why do you want to change it?" I hear it really p.oed Mt. Dew. lol.

Sometimes it's annoying that we can't get the same products as you guys but I guess it makes me feel safe that we have such strict guidelines (in some areas).

christa
    Recommit - Jan 2008
    Highest weight - 170
    170/142(ww)/137(pg)

Hey Christa,

If you want Red Bull, try Chinatown. I can get it a couple of places here in Ottawa, so I'm sure you could probably find it in some little shop in Chinatown. Often it is the same label, just not in English.

Good luck,
    Teresa [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Hi there! Let me tell you about my experience with Red Bull! Tasty,a nd excellent as an early drink of hte night, just dont get too carried away. 1 Red Bull has the equivelent of 2 cups of coffee (aprox) and when your buzz is wearing off, adn you just want to go to sleep, the worst feeling in the world is the caffine keeping you awake. Lol, I made that mistake one time only. [img]smile.gif[/img]

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Msmandeee, You are wrong 1 can of Red Bull is the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee.

Red Bull 1 can has 80mg of caffeine

1 cup of brewed coffee has 85.32mg of caffeine

Replies

Kanis: The blue color for Hpnotique liquor is just food coloring (instead of fruit juice) I'm sure. It is a color not known in nature! The fruit flavor is pasionfruit, I think...
    I sold a few last night, but it really is pretty strange stuff, and pricey. I doubt if it'll be on the shelves a year from now.
    SFCat

imported_Kelly_S Guest

MsMandee, I just read my post and I wasn't trying to be rude but just wanted you to know that they are the same. I just worded it badly.

Replies

We can get tylenol 3 over the counter???? I have never tried. I always thought you needed a prescription. That's it... I'm going to the pharmacy tonight to stock up! LOL
    sara

5'2"
    169.5/140.5/135

If you want Red Bull, try Chinatown. I can get it a couple of places here in Ottawa, so I'm sure you could probably find it in some little shop in Chinatown. Often it is the same label, just not in English.
    Funny you should say that, my DF informed me that he's been buying Red Bull for while now. But the one he buys is from Thailand. He had a couple of the ones I bought and he said he prefers them better. The Thai ones are like a syrup apparently. I think he got his from Sugar Mountain (retro candy store). Hey, if I'm really in need, I guess I can drink syrup!

christa

Pardon me........

Lol, Kelly its ok. I thought you were really offended about my mistake! Hehe I was sorry for mixing it up For some reason, I beleived it was a lot more caffine than just one cup, must have mis-calculated. I just looooove my coffee, never was very good at math.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

MIssMandee,

I am glad we cleared that up!