Thread: Points in Fried Dough?

The kids are begging me to make them fried dough tomorrow morning and of course my tongue will be hanging out for a piece. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

The dough is easy enough to figure out with the nutrional value on it and my scale. However, I am wondering if I am doing the oil right. I was thinking of putting my piece of dough in a specific amount of oil, say one cup. Once I fry the piece of dough I was going to re-measure the oil that is remaining and assume that the amount that is missing is the amount that was absorbed by the dough. I was then going to count that amount of oils in points.

Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

imported_Kelly_S Guest

That is what I would do. Then you know 'approximately' what the points would be if you just did it in batches.

I did that with my eggrolls that I fry. I measured the oil before and after and then divided the points for the oil between how many eggrolls I made.

Yummm... fried dough?...never heard of that., and egg rolls..that's a treat..how about sharing the recipes girls....I would love to have a recipe for egg rolls.....and fried dough..it that like donuts?
    My DH fried canned biscuits and rolls them in powdered sugar/and cinnamon and sugar like donuts...

FirstCavWife Guest

When I was about 12 a friend of my dad remarried a woman from out of state. She and her kids (my age) came to live by us and our families would visit and have dinner at each others' houses. She would often make fried dough with dinner. She would make regular bread dough and cut it into about 4"x1" pieces and deep fry it. Then she would lightly salt it...like you would french fries or onion rings. Their family called them "sliding boards" which I still think is so funny!!! "Sliding Boards" does sound a lot more OP than "fried dough" does! hehehehe!
    -Dawn

imported_Kelly_S Guest

* Exported from MasterCook *

Egg Rolls

Recipe By : Kumcha Hensley
    Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 packages shredded cabbage -- shredded
    1 pound lean beef -- ground
    1/2 package Chinese noodles
    3 tablespoons salt
    1/2 tablespoon Accent® seasoning mix
    1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
    50 won-ton wrappers
    3 cups oil for frying

1. Combine coleslaw mix and 2 tablespoons salt. Let stand for 1-2 hours.

2. Brown ground beef. Rinse and drain.

3. Rinse coleslaw mix with water. Then combine with Accent, noodles, meat, oil, season all, seeds and pepper.

4. Wrap in wrappers and fry in hot oil 5-8 minutes.

Calories: 86.1
    Fat Grams: 6.0
    Fiber Grams: 0.1

W/W Points: 2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Makes 50 egg rolls.

NOTES : This recipe actually on uses 1 cup of oil. I measured before and after making them.

My fried dough recipe is very similar to Dawn's...I enjoyed you story about the "sliding boards".

I use either regular bread dough or pizza dough and I just pull a piece off and really flatten it out (you may need a little flour because it can become really sticky). The thinner it is the faster the inside will cook. If the pieces are really thick they will burn on the outside before they are cooked inside. Put it in hot cooking oil (I prefer olive oil but the kids don't like the taste) and lightly brown on each side. It is so simple and fast! We put butter and powdered sugar on them. It is an old Italian favorite my Mom and Grandmother have made for years.

YUMMY!!!!

Replies

Yep, me too! My not-so-old Italian Mom used to make these for us as kids too. Butter and sugar, and you're all set. They were wonderful. Notice the past tense! Haven't thought about these for years!
    JeanetteSki