Thread: How do you count fruit?

This is a real puzzle to me. I probably should know the answer, but I'm not certain that I do. OK... how many fruits do you count 1 pt. of strawberries as(1 1/2 c.)?; how many points/TBSP of raisins does it take to count a fruit? That sort of thing. I picked up a brochure from the www.5aday.com website and it says WHAT IS A SERVING? 1 med. siz fruit; 3/4 c. or 6 oz. fruit or veg. juice; 1/2 c. fresh, frozen or canned fruit; 1/4 c. dried fruit. I wonder if WW agrees with this. Suzi Q
    SUZI Q<br /><br />a wish changes nothing -<br />a decision changes everything.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

I am not sure what you are asking but in general 1 cup of any kind of fruit is 1 point.

www.calorieking.com will help you too.

In the Complete Food Guide it tells exactly how much of what counts as a point. WW sells it at the meeting locations. It seems pricey, but well worth it!
    Carla<br /><br />Returning WW Lifetimer: OP March 17, 2003 <br />SW-289.2/CW-252.2/GW-159<br /><br />**2003 100LB Challenge**<br />Lbs lost to date: 37

OK, I can see I didn't make myself clear. I do own a CFC. Let me try again with this one.

If I eat 1 1/2 c. strawberries for 1 point how many fruits do I count? I know how to count the points, just not how many SERVINGS. It seems to me that there would be 3 servings in 1 1/2 c. berries.

OK, next question: Let's say Raisins. Surely I wouldn't have to eat 1/2 of them to count a serving would I? So how many is a serving? Suzi Q

melsullivan Guest

I would say that 1/4c raisins would be a serving. Raisins are basically dried fruit. (Dried grapes to be more specific). So if you are counting servings according to that 5aday webpage you're using, and they say 1/4c dried fruit is a serving, then 1/4c raisins would be a serving. I have no idea what the points on that would be though (and yes, I realize that's not what you're asking [img]smile.gif[/img] )

What did you mean by "I wonder if WW agrees with this"? WW is about points, count the points and go from there. But maybe one of our meeting-going buddies can ask, exactly how big IS a serving of fruit/vegetables?

Hope that helps!

Well,well. I still don't have my answer. "I wonder if WW would agree with this": would they agree that 1/2 c. of berries would count as a fruit? Or, must I count my 1 1/2 c. of berries as one serving of fruit.

I know this will confuse you again, but I still must know the answer to this.... you see, I am a Leader and I can't get the answers I need from anybody!!!! Wouldn't you think WW would know? I thought you gals could give me an answer to this puzzling question.

Does one point of fruit count as a serving or are the servings dependant upon the serving size?

I'm still needing to know if 1 pt. of raisins count as a fruit.... if not, how much does, how many points worth? Suzi Q

imported_Kelly_S Guest

I believe that W/W considers 1 cup of fruit a serving however, I do my based on the USDA Food Pyramid which states 1 serving is 1/2 a cup.

What Constitutes a Serving?

Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta

1 slice bread

1 ounce of ready-to-eat cereal

1/2 cup of cooked cereal, rice, or pasta

1/2 bun, bagel, or English muffin

1/2 cup cooked cereal

Vegetable

1 cup of raw leafy vegetables

1/2 cup other vegetables, cooked or chopped raw

3/4 cup of vegetable juice

Fruit

1 medium apple, banana, orange

1/2 cup of chopped, cooked, or canned fruit

3/4 cup of fruit juice

Milk, Yogurt, and Cheese

1 cup of milk or yogurt

1-1/2 ounces of natural cheese

2 ounces of process cheese

Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs, and Nuts

2-3 ounces of cooked lean meat, poultry, or fish

1/2 cup cooked dry beans or one egg counts as 1 ounce of lean meat

2 tablespoons of peanut butter or 1/3 cup of nuts count as 1 ounce of meat

Vegetarian Protein sources (serving sizes)

4 oz. tofu

8 oz. soy milk

2 tablespoons nuts or seeds

3 ounce veggie burger

2 tablespoons of peanut butter

1/2 cup cooked dry beans or 1 egg (if lacto-ovo vegetarian)

These are the guidelines from the USDA (with the exception of the vegetarian info).

From an old food list of points I have:

Apple - fresh one 4 oz. = 1 point
    Applesauce- unsweetened one cup = 1 point
    Banana - one 6 ounce = 2 points
    Cherries - dried 1/4 cup (1-1/2 oz) = 2 points
    Cherries - fresh one cup (5-1/2 oz) = 1 point
    Strawberries - fresh or frozen-unsweetened one cup = 1 point

In my opinion, subject to being wrong of course, it's by the serving size for a particular fruit and the points add as they are for that particular item. 1 point of banana for 3 ounces of banana would count as 1/2 fruit in my mind since they show a banana as 6 ounces.

Veggies are 1 cup raw for most, some are 1/2 cup cooked, again that's for a particular vegetable. Most are free, some are not.

5 fruits and veggies a day are suggested. Technically you could do all 5 zero point veggies and still be legal for no points. You wouldn't be getting all you could nutrition wise without a lot of research picking just the right veggies to replace what might be in an apple or orange, but, that's all way too much work for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Raisins are 2 points for 1/4 cup (1-1/2 oz) and would be a fruit. Grapes are 1 point for 1 cup and frozen grapes are a great snack. [img]graemlins/bcbsalute.gif[/img]

Denise02 Guest

In the past I have counted 1 c cherries or 11/2 c of strawberries as a serving. Now you have me pondering

I would count 1/4 c of raisens as a serving as it is about 20 grapes.

But now you really got me questioning this.

Denise

Thanks for all the replies. I have found the answer to the berry question by digging and reading ALL my materials. It says that generally a serving of fruit is 1/2 cup or one piece. I'm going to count berries as 1/2 = one serving, but the raisin question still stands. No mention of them specifically anywhere that I read. I think they would not fall into the 'generally' category. Again, thanks. Suzi Q

imported_Kelly_S Guest

I don't want to be rude however you can usually find an answer to a question that you don't seem to get the answer to by doing a search in Yahoo or Google or any other search engine out there. I went to Yahoo. Typed in dried fruit serving size and found this website with serving sizes. It states 1/4 cup of dried fruit (raisins are dried fruit) is considered a serving.

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Denise, it is 1 cup of cherries...and I beleive that most of the time 1 1/2 cup of strawberries..are 1 point however that would be 2 servings of fruit on the cherries and 3 servings on the strawberries according to the USDA.

Also here is some information:

The following weights are equal to one point, using the USDA website and the mathematical formula for points:

Strawberries, raw, edible portion 10.6 ounces or 300 grams

Pineapple, raw, edible portion (fresh) 5.3 ounces or 150 grams

Banana, edible portion (no peel) 3 ounces or 80 grams

Mango edible portion,4 ounces or 113 grams

Blueberries 6 ounces or 170 grams

Red or green seedless grapes, raw 80 grams/3 ounces/16 grapes (57/.46 fat/.8 fiber)

Watermelon, edible portion- 175 grams/6 ounces (56/.75 fat/.875 fiber)

California naval oranges, raw, edible portion - 200 grams/7.0 ounces (92/.18 fat/4.0 fiber)

Apples, raw with skin, quartered - 150 grams/5.3 ounces (88/.54 fat/4.0+ fiber)

Raspberries, fresh, raw - 180 grams/6.35 ounces (88/.99 fat, 4.0+ fiber)

Kiwi Fruit, raw, edible portion (no skin) - 145 grams/ 5.1 ounces (88/.64 fat/4.0+ fiber

Cherries, sweet, raw, without pits - 100 grams/3.5 ounces (72/.96 fat/2.3 fiber)

Cantaloupe, edible portion - 180 grams/6.35 ounces (63 cal/.5 fat/1.44 fiber)

Honey Dew Melon, edible portion - 180 grams/6.35 ounces (63 cal/.18 fat/1.08 fiber)

Blackberries, raw - 170 grams/6.0 ounces (88.4 cal/.663 fat/4 fiber - capped)

Denise02 Guest

I bet none of us got here by eating one or two more fruit servings a day, epecially if we are counting the points in them. I know the Canada food Guide redcommends 5-10 a day, I will just feel less guilty for not getting the 10 I thought I was not getting and be happy that I am indeed on the way to eating helthy.

If a serving size is less than what I thought and it is hard for Americans/Canadians to get the min. in, it really has got to make you wonder about the nutrition level of our society. No wonder Obesity is rising quickly.

Denise