Thread: Change in Height = Change in Goal Weight?

Replies

Question

I'm apparently shrinking in height! Ack!

I have been using 5'3" as my height for WW, driver's license, etc. for a long time, although that was probably a little optimistic -- I was probably 5'2 1/2" or 5'2 3/4".

I just got measured at the doctor's office last week, and my official height is now 5'2".

Does that drop my official goal weight? Or should I just ignore it as far as WW is concerned? Or what? (I don't suppose anybody at WW is going to confront me and say "we know you really aren't 5'3"!)

I'm not sure what my PG is this time around. I do know that I've had trouble maintaining WWG weights in the past (which were lower than my current WWG), so I have some concern about my WWG getting too low.

Thanks.

Cathy

You could change or you could just leave it the same. For 5'2" the Range is 109-136. 5'3" is 113-141 so they overlap. Depending what your goal is it might already fit into the 5'2" range. What I would do is keep my WWG the same and see what I thought as I got closer. If I was happy with the way I looked I would keep the goal if I was not then I would change it.

Laura

[ March 23, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: lismith ]
    Laura (로라 )

Laura's Weight loss Journey
    Korea Pictures
    Lifetime Since Feburary 15th 2005

imported_Kelly_S Guest

Most of your post confused me but you realize you do not need to be WITHIN the range W/W states to become lifetime. If you want to be outside those limits (which I find way to low) just talk to your physician about it and have him/her write a prescription to W/W stating that after discussion with you your goal weight is xxx. For example W/W states my weight should be no more than 145 but my doctor and I feel that is too low so we set 150 as mine.

Replies

Thanks.

I think I'll just leave my goal the same and if I want to go farther down, I will. (More flexibility in the "don't have to pay at meetings" range.)

My impression from my dr. (whom I've only seen once so far) is that he uses the same BMI charts as WW does. I don't sense that he has a very good concept of weight issues, and just spouts sort of a party line on weight, diet, exercise, etc. He does seem to like WW, which is a plus, but I don't think he's a useful resource for anything weight-related.

I am already lifetime, but am substantially over my goal weight right now (by anyone's standards). My objective this time around is to find a weight that is both healthy and maintainable.

Cathy

If you are already lifetime then the weight you had as your goal is always your weight goal. I think you are right you can always go below that.

Laura
    Laura (로라 )

Korea Pictures

Replies

Laura, actually, it's not necessarily true that your goal when you get to lifetime is your "forever" goal. Because WW has adjusted their charts from time to time, they allow you to adjust your weight goal to conform to current thinking even if you're already lifetime.

My original goal when I reached lifetime, in the '70s, was 121 lbs. That was a hard goal for me to maintain even at 24 or 25 and being relatively active. For me, that would probably amount to about what I weighed when I graduated from h.s., adjusting for clothing and time of day.

Someplace in between, probably in the '80s, I had a goal of, like, 130 lbs. (don't remember exactly) -- the max allowed for my height at that time. I had friends at that time that thought I looked overly thin and unwell at that weight at that time. (Not sure how objective they were.)

My current goal (at 5'3") can be as high as 141 lbs. (the max for my age and height). If I were to adjust my height on my WW records to 5'2", my current goal could be as high as 136 lbs. based on what you said earlier (and that corresponds to the BMI charts, as well).

Think I'll leave my goal at 141, at least for now.

Cathy

Thanks for correcting me I am not lifetime but I had a friend who is lifetime and just comeback. To WW she was 5'8" but is actually 5'7" she told me that the Lifetime card had her goal weight and that would always be her goal weight. It makes since if WW changed their charts that people would be able to change goals to match them.

Laura
    Laura (로라 )

Korea Pictures

Laura; speak w/ your leader. She can always change the number in your membership book; and when the time comes, when you get to life, and need to readjust that (barring any further shrinkage!) we have forms called "Change of goal" forms. (convenient.) Have her initial the new weight should you take that route, and go from there. As my members age, or have major lifestyle changes, or surgery, we adjust their goals accordingly.
    Good luck.
    Ellen
    SW:197 GW:152 CW:148 Height: 5'6<br />Been at goal since July 1999<br />If I can do it, ANYone can.

Replies

Laura - I also have shrunk in height, but after discussion with my doctor I decided to leave my WW goal weight as it was set originally. I am under that weight anyway and this way I have some pounds to "fool around" with and still remain a lifetimer.
    Lifetimer since April 2001
    195/135/150WW