Thread: Anyone on WW's have IBS, Chron's etc?

1. Default Anyone on WW's have IBS, Chron's etc?

Total TMI but no matter how many different healthy foods I try I am constantly having stomach aches and on and off constipation. I have IBS and every time I start back on WW's I have stomach issues when eating fruits and vegetables especially. Anyone else have these issues and have any suggestions on what to do to make things easier on my stomach without having to go back on medications? Thank you!!

Replies

Default Re: Anyone on WW's have IBS, Chron's etc?

Never TMI in Boot Camp. We are all people, a lot of our members are nurses even. I'm sure they've seen and heard the worst, and have probably enlightened us here already

I do know, when switching up the things that you eat, your body sometimes needs time to re-adjust. If you only eat healthy foods for a long time, do you know what happens when you suddenly eat McDonalds? Talk about stomach issues Except it's usually not constipation...

Give it a couple weeks, talk to your doctor about it, maybe try some natural remedies to calm the stomach and get things moving.
    You should be ok without medications.
    Jason

3. Default Re: Anyone on WW's have IBS, Chron's etc?

Thank you for the reply, I guess the question isn't too TMI I have been on it now for 9 weeks and it isn't getting better. I have come to the point where at the end of the week I have to take a natural laxative pill to get things moving again but still have a stomach ache when I do. I forgot to mention that I do not have a gallbladder which I think adds to the issue but I really would like to find a way to eat fruit and vegetables but feel okay doing so not sick all the time.

Replies

You are that far in already! Don't back out know.

The microbiota, or 'gut flora' in your digestive system is going through a change. It should improve as you lose weight.

- from the good ol' encyclopedia:
    Weight loss initiates a shift in the bacteria phyla that compose gut flora. Specifically, Bacteroidetes increase nearly linearly as weight loss progresses. While there is a high level of variation in bacteria species found among individual people, this trend is prominent and distinct in humans"
    Although research does suggest that the relationship between gut flora and humans is a mutualistic relationship,[45] very little evidence supports claims that probiotic dietary supplements have any health benefits.[5] Improved health through gut flora modulation appears to be directly related to long-term dietary changes.

Probiotics may help people with irritable bowel syndrome, although uncertainty remains around which type of probiotic works best, and around the size of the effect.
    Jason

Replies

I also found these SIMPLE tips, if the above science stuff is too confusing. I'm an encyclopedia junkie.

Avoid suffering from bloating and constipation by switching to a plant-based diet over a period of several weeks, or months.
    Gradually increasing your fiber intake gives the natural flora in your gut time to adjust, so you are less likely to have bowel problems.
    Start by replacing two to three meals per week with plant-based meals.
    The following week, replace a couple more meals with plant-based proteins and entrees.
    Follow this pattern each week as long as your body tolerates the change.
    If you notice gas, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, cut back on your serving size or eliminate one plant-based meal per day.
    Eventually, you can have all of your meals and snacks from plant foods.
    Jason