Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast

Thread: ►►INTRODUCTIONS◄◄ Use This Thread to Introduce Yourself

deedon63 Guest

Default Re: Need help with a recipe

This sounds YUMMY! I have a question, though...when it says 15 servings, how much is a serving?? I mean, how do you seperate out 15 servings??? I'm a WW newbie - AND also a cooking newbie. I've seen several recipes that say how many servings, but not how much a serving is and have not tried them because I don't know how to seperate it out. Sorry is this is a dumb question ~ but I'm math challenged!

Thanks,
    Dee

Replies
    Blog Entries

Serving sizes vary, so, yes, you will have to measure out 12 or 15 servings and approximate how large that serving is. I tend to look at the entire volume of the prepared dish and think how many cups of half-cups it looks like and then use that measuring device to dish it out. Whenever I make a large recipe like this one I tend to freeze in quarts or individual containers and that helps with the measuring too.

Great recipe, btw. I am bookmarking it now.
    273.8/266.8/164
    restart 1 November 14

tickerchick Guest

Hi,
    Sorry! I'll post the rest of the recipe tonight when I get home from work.
    I forgot to bring it with me...
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure I post all the information next time.

I measured this out and it made 21 cups. It is by far the best white chili I have ever had. My oldest stepdaughter told me last night that I have to make this for her sorority's chili cook-off next year. That gave it a vote of confidence in my book!
    Thanks, Cybergranny!

tickerchick Guest

Hi,

Here's the White Chili recipe with cybergranny's Mastercook data and the directions to make it. Sorry, next time I'll post directions!

10 cups great northern beans, cooked
    2 pounds chicken breast, no skin, no bone, R-T-C
    1 cup onions -- chopped
    1/3 cup celery -- chopped
    8 ounces green chilies -- canned
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    6 cups chicken broth, low sodium 99% fat free
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 cup monterey jack cheese -- shredded

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 257 Calories; 5g Fat (18.7% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 358mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : For 12 servings this is 7 points per serving.

For 15 servings it is 5 points per serving.
    1. Simmer chicken in large pot about 15 minutes.
    2. Drain, cool, and cube chicken.
    3. Heat oil in same pan over medium high heat and saute onions until translucent.
    4. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves, salt, peppers (red, black, and white) and saute 2 minutes.
    5. Add beans, chicken, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
    6. Simmer about 2 hours.
    7. Add 1 cup cheese and stir until cheese melts.
    8. Garnish with shredded cheese, fat free sour cream, fresh cilantro if desired, just remember to count the extra POINTS.
    9. Serve.

This made 21 cups of chili.

Thank you tickerchick! My DH is going to love this one, especially when I tell him it is the Colonel's wifes recipe. He managed a KFC when we were very young!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/
    original starting weight 270
    returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

tickerchick Guest

Well, I have the whole cookbook from the Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville, Kentucky. Most of it isn't very points friendly, but I'm sure with some effort, we can modify them to be a little more svelte!

My next endeavor... Their creamed spinach. Sounds yucky, but it's FABULOUS!
    Have you had much success substituting fat free half and half for the real thing?
    Thanks again for your help with my chili. I just love the stuff!
    I'm guessing if there's 21 cups, that if I have 1 1/2 cups per serving, it's about 6 points?

A cup and a half sounds good. What a large filling serving that would be. If I have all the ingredients on hand, I will make it today to surprise DH.

Fat free half and half works just the same and the full fat version so go for it and let me know how it comes out. If you want to post the recipe I will point it for you.

Thanks again.
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155
    Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

8. Exclamation Hi I'm a newbie

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this site.
    I'm not attending WW meetings I've just started counting points again after a long 2 years and a 2 size gain.
    I started about 3 weeks ago and have lost about 6lbs.
    I'm not being really strict with points but I am walking almost everyday.
    About me I'm a married Christian with 3 boys, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 zebra finches, a cockateil , a Beta fish ( adopted from my daughter in law when they moved out of state) and a fish tank with 5 gold fish.
    My oldest boy is 22 married, in the army and currently serving in Iraq.
    My other two are 18 and 17 so I only have 1 still in high school.
    I go to Neighborhood church in Redding Ca. and attend Thursday morning ladies bible study. We are now studying prayer and evangalism. Its pretty good. I enjoy the prayer and fellowship with the other ladies.
    I'm hoping to get to know you all and enjoy the fellowship and sharing in prayer requests with all of you.
    Have a wonderful day! Love in Christ, ruby

tabbey Guest

Default Re: Hi I'm a newbie

Hi Ruby great to have you join us. It usually pretty quiet in here on the weekends. We do a daily post, and also on Monday we start a prayer request post for the week.

I look forward to meeting you. There is an into thread and testimony thread if you want to read on to meet everyone, I will go search for it and bump it up.

Tabbey

WELCOME ! !God Bless you on the journey ...
    "The Bible says "Glorify God in your body" ...therefore, I want to be : Thin4HIM
    WILLPOWER = turn Your Will over to HIS POWER !

Welcome. post often so that we can get to know you better.

Laura
    Laura (ζ )

Laura's Weight loss Journey
    Korea Pictures
    Lifetime Since Feburary 15th 2005

12. Default Re: Hi I'm a newbie

Welcome Ruby, I look forward to getting to know you!

13. Thumbs up Re: Hi I'm a newbie

Welcome,u come to the right place!! everyone is full of prayers & support.God Bless u on your journey!!Praying for all.

Remember feed your faith & your doubts will starve to death!!:angel

tickerchick, I have to tell you that everybody loved this chili. I made it in a crock pot though and let it simmer all day. I didn't want to go to the trouble of on the stovetop so I used dried beans in the crock but used all the same ingredients. My house smelled wonderful all day! It is spicy, but not too spicy for those who don't like it hot. It also has enough pep that those that do like it hot think it has a lot of flavor.

Thanks again for this wonderful recipe. Half of it is in the freezer for the next time DH gets the urge for chili.

Let me know if you want any more of the recipes out of that book pointed. DH went all nostalgic on me when I told him whose recipe it was and went in the file cabinet and pulled out a big 8 X 10 of the Colonel and him back in the day, white suit and all!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155

Parham91x2 Guest

Glad you found us!

tickerchick Guest

Cybergranny,

So glad to hear your DH loved it. Mine loves it too.
    I'm more than happy to to share more of these. If you like southern food, this book is a winner! I'll avoid those recipes that call for lard, unless you have a magic trick up your sleeve for that!

Nope, but I might just do some investigating and see what the internet has as a less artery clogging subsitute!
    Barbara
    ~~~~~~~~
    241.4/142/155

Nancy Marie Guest

Ruby,
    Welcome, please join in on our chats. I'm still fairly new too so I'm still getting to know everyone. Have a great day and hope to hear more from you. Nancy

WELCOME RUBY
    Sounds like you are a busy lady!! I'm glad you have joined us. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

LOVE & BLESSINGS
    GAIL

Be faithful, be strong, be diligent.....
    it's only good news if told in time.

Replies

Welcome!!
    I noticed in your post you said you were not strict with your points..... give it a try and you will be amazed. You can eat more than you think as long as the choices are good ones!
    Nice to have you aboard.
    Theresa

1990 weight: 230
    lifetime goal weight: 137
    Restart weight: 198.8
    Current weight: 197.6
    Loss to date: 32.4
    Pounds to goal: 60.6
    I weigh in on Thursday

soon2bemptynest Guest

Welcome Ruby!

Lisa

Default Another Newbie!

Hi Everyone,

I just registered yesterday and introduced myself in the Newbie section but I'll do it again here since I am a 30-something and this seems to be the best place for me

I've been doing WW online (Flex program) for just over 3 weeks now, but I am definately not new to the program. I had wonderful success with WW long ago... I lost 60lbs before I got married, but after 4 kids and a car accident I gained it all back + more. Now the time has come and I am ready to do what it takes to lose it! I really love the BCB philosophy and I am motivated and excited to be here.

I'm really looking forward to joining in the challenges. This seems to be a very friendly, supportive group!

Here is my intro post from yesterday http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ad.php?t=80387
    Tiffany - My Pictures

Conceive * Believe * Achieve
    Don't give up... don't ever give up

HW234/SW220/CW199.8/GW135
    ONEderland - 6/6/05
    1st 10% - 6/13
    2nd 10% - 11/7
    50 lb loss! - 1/30/06
    Re-Start - 9/18/07

~ ~ *~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

Replies

Default Re: Another Newbie!

Welcome to BCB. Post often so we can get to know you.

Emma
    Emma
    5'1"
    SW 154.0
    CW 154.0
    GW 125

Smile Re: Another Newbie!

Hi there! I'm a newbie to the 30's board also. I look forward to getting to know each other better! Julie

PurpleGemini Guest

Smile Re: Another Newbie!

Hi and welcome to the 30's board !

Fiona

Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast