Thread: Question about oats

Replies

Default Question about oats

I have noticed that large flake oats do not have the symbol for power food next to them, while cooked oatmeal does. What's with that? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Sometime else I just noticed today on my online tracker is 0 fat Greek yogurt has 0 points. That must be something next with some of the new things they are rolling out. I guess I will find out when I go to my meeting on Thursday.
    Ann
    SW: 158.6 Dec 2010
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Replies

Default Re: Question about oats

Ann, in my Food Companion from last year it says 1 cup of cooked oatmeal is a Power Food (4 pts) but 1 cup of dry oats is 8 pts and is not a PF. The Greek yogurt is not 0 pts in the new material. I think someone mentioned what you are talking about in the staff meeting but I can't remember what was said about it. I'm not sure why it's coming out to 0 pts online.
    Bonnie

Total loss: 52 lbs incl 10 from 2008
    GW 137 August 2012

Replies

Thanks Bonnie. I use 1/2 cup of large flake oats to make my oatmeal, so it's 4 points for the 1/2 cup. I knew that. I just don't understand why the raw oats are not a power food, but turn into a power food when you cook them.

The Greek yogurt used to be 2 points according to my etools, but now it's coming up as 0 points for the fat free. All the sugar and fat free flavored yogurts are are still the same. It's just the fat free Greek yogurt that is different on my etools.
    Ann
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Replies

Yes, I understand the etools thing on the Greek yogurt. It is 3 pts per cup in the book coming up. If you figure it from the carton and it comes up 2 pts that's great. Not sure why the 0 pts thing. As I was saying I think that problem was brought up and forget what they said.

You pose an interesting question on the oats. If it is the same amount (that is 1/2 cup uncooked flakes=1 cup cooked) you would think that both would be a Power Food. I'll have to find an answer on that.
    Bonnie

Total loss: 52 lbs incl 10 from 2008
    GW 137 August 2012

Replies

interesting thread.

My take/two cents (recalling advice from many meetings ago). I think it may have something to do with the fact that people make things with oatmeal - like cookies, breads, etc., so they give you the points for "recipe use" (ie 1 cup dry).

For just normal consumption for bfast and the like, esp when you may be combining your intake with other foods such as fruit or milk, it's lower points (the water part IS filling) AND (probably) a power food. This is unofficial of course!
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt

Replies

But Susan, you can take any of the power foods and make something else with them and they are still power foods. I talked to my leader about it and she said to just go ahead and count it as a power food. I guess I could just change my tracker to say 1 cup of cooked oatmeal, but it just irritates me that I use the oats to MAKE 1 cup of cooked oatmeal and ....well, you know. LOL
    Ann
    G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018