Thread: After All These Years At Lifetime, I Am Starting Not To Care Anymore

Default After All These Years At Lifetime, I Am Starting Not To Care Anymore

I've had some scale creep lately. And, I am about 5 pounds heavier now than what would be a great weight for me.

I know what it is - too much on the BLTs. It's an old problem that I fall into now and then...

The worst part is that I don't seem to care. And, it almost seems like it's easier to give up and say screw it.

I suspect that some of it is hay fever. That always messes with me. Makes me eat more. Makes me depressed and tired. And, then, of course, I eat more...it's a bad cycle.

Any tips on shaking this?

Default Re: After All These Years At Lifetime, I Am Starting Not To Care Anymore

Sustained vigilance is tough, we're just not built for it. It's also hard when all the "atta boys" (or girls) die down, and there's no external reinforcement coming in. Internal reinforcement is good, don't get me wrong, but it's nice to have someone else cheer for you.

How about mixing it up? Are you at all interested in using SiFi? I don't remember if you go to meetings? What about working at a local meeting? Have you thought about becoming a leader?
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Default Re: After All These Years At Lifetime, I Am Starting Not To Care Anymore

Kris - thanks. I have applied to be a leader a couple of times. But, in my district, it's hard. Plus, you have to be a receptionist first - and a part-time one at that. Basically, they make it hard to break into their circle. In fact, just getting hired as a PT, fill in, receptionist is hard to do where I live.

I weigh in each week - but, I don't stay for the meetings. After all these years, it seems odd for me to sit in on one. I actually feel uncomfortable sitting in the room.

I have never tried SiFi or Core. I don't think that's an option for me.

I agree that having a target/goal would be a good thing - and that's worked for me in the past. But, lately, I just don't have the zest for trying it.

It just seems easier to not care than it does to strive for something.

On your feet, soldier! This is boot camp!

You are a man who needs a plan!

Sometimes (admittedly, not always) I find a for/against pro/con list helpful

Why go on with maintenance?
    Pro--> I feel good/look good. I can run more than ever

Con--> Bored with the program. Want to eat what I want.

Also, maybe you need to dig out the ol' tools for living? I feel doofy when I use them, but they are helpful.

I'm pulling for you, Supe, we're all in this together

Thanks Kris!

Maybe I just need some sleep? It seems like forever since I had a good night's rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    Thanks Kris!

Maybe I just need some sleep? It seems like forever since I had a good night's rest.

Supe, I really am going to give you such a pinch one of these days! As a chronic insomniac here, I say that sleep is HUGELY important in my day-to-day mindset. Sadly, I never get enough of it :-(

Go, get some sleep. Hell, have some sleep for me, too.

I wish that I could sleep. And, I envy those who can do it. At best, lately, I sleep for about 3 hours - and then I wake up. Too stressed out, I suppose. And, I routinely stress out about over-sleeping too. So, that's part of the problem. While my alarm is set for 5:45 PM, I wake up at 4 AM, 4:30 AM, 5 AM, etc., and keep checking the clock to see if I over-slept.

Back to the weight thing, today, I am about 3 pounds over where I want to be, for me.

I guess the fact that I am checking means that I care?

The fact that you're posting means you care.

True. I hope to do a weigh-in today at WW. I usually go on Fridays, during the lunch break, when I am working from home. That should tell me how bad it is, etc.

I am also starting to think about launching a new workout goal to keep me going to the gym, etc. I am hoping that being more active will motivate me to fuel my body properly.

Alright, check in and let us know how it goes.

No change on the scale for me this week - compared to last week.

So, for the last 6 weeks, this is what I have:

6/15/2012 173.0
    6/21/2012 171.6
    6/29/2012 171.8
    7/6/2012 176.6
    7/13/2012 174.6
    7/20/2012 174.6

I guess it could be worse - I didn't gain anything this week.
    Last edited by Super Bowl XLI; 07-20-2012 at 02:23 PM.

OK, so I have a question or two (or three) for you, Supe....

Is this weight an OK weight for you (I see it's below goal)? Do you have to work too hard to stay lower on the scale? Is your body trying to tell you something?
    Are you building muscle? Do your clothes fit?

Other questions--since I saw the hay fever comment-- are you taking anything new (you don't have to tell us!), there is some evidence that use of some types of antihistamine can lead to weight gain.

I'd like to be about 3 pounds lighter. My magic number seems to be 172.

I doubt that it's muscle. Lately, I have only been to the gym about once a week. My clothes fit OK though.

Nothing new on the hay fever side - it's the same two sprays as usual.

I know why I gained the weight. Too much on the white carbs. Too much on the nuts and bananas. Too much on the non-tracked BLTs. I suspect that I can get the three off in a couple of weeks, if I try hard enough.

What's your plan of attack, Soldier?

I just got the WW-branded accelerometer--it's in the learning phase, and will track my activity --for data geeks like us this can be motivating. Or maybe you could try one of the bodyfit activity monitors--they assess your BMR and energy expenditure. You can add in your food and it tells you how in or out of balance you are. You can set it for gain/lose/or maintain wieight and it will give you feedback. (I suspect that the body fit tools are overall better, but WW is less expensive and tied directly to the WW plan (as in it works out activity points, I'll have to give feedback once the assessment period is over and I actually can use it more)

Might be something new that would spark your attention?? I'm a data dork, me, so I like them.

Sounds cool Kris. I couldn't pull that off - don't think I could wear it at work?

My plan? It's simple: Not dipping into my WPA as much as I have been doing. And, being more active - making sure that I get at least 180 minutes of exercise per week.

That, plus a lot of visualization. I have an image in my head of who I want to be and that's my target.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    I've had some scale creep lately. And, I am about 5 pounds heavier now than what would be a great weight for me.
    The worst part is that I don't seem to care. And, it almost seems like it's easier to give up and say screw it.
    Any tips on shaking this?
    I see this post is a few days old, but I can't just pass by it.

First of all, I want to say that what you are feeling is completely normal. The WW honeymoon is definitely over. Rare compliments, possibly have achieved your PR for 5K's, in a food rut, you've got the program down to a science, just some basic monotony/boredom going on?

I want to say, Sup, STOP the stinkin' thinkin'! It feels like you don't care, but I have NO doubt that you DO care. I have followed your journey, you have worked hard and love the new healthy you.

This IS hard, but you are strong and you are a fighter. You just have to work through this. Yes, it would be nice to not think about what you put in your mouth. You know right where that will lead. Go back and take a long hard look at your before pictures, or go put on a pair of your old chubby jeans if you have a pair. That person is gone.

Focus on tackling just one area at a time. Where's your water bottle right now, how much have you had to drink today? Are there some foods that just need to not be in your house right now? Have you asked your wife to help? How about a nice brisk walk rather then a run? Have you tried a new recipe lately?

I can SO relate to your post, but Buddy, we are in it to win it. We CAN do this and we WILL do this. We WILL be part of that 5%, a part of the *Results Not Typical.

I guess I am writing this post for you and I both...

Keep us posted.
    Trudie
    HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6
    CW: 137.5 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie - thanks.

You're always there to give me a nudge when I need it and I appreciate it!

I agree that I should focus at one area at a time. If I take care of getting my exercise, I am sure that will improve my mood. And, if I take care of watching those untracked BLTs and white carbs, then the scale will fall into line too on it's won.

Let's keep pushing each other buddy! Let's "Occupy Scale Street" since we are the 5%! LOL.

Replies
    Blog Entries

This thread has encouraged me no end! So I am not the only one who struggles with the "do I care" mindset every once in a while. Just a couple months at a doctor set goal, and totally not able to do hardly any walking even right now, seems as if it gets harder to slap my hand to keep away from the blts that will not benefit me at all. But I can do this. Until these problems are resolved and I can move freely again, I just MUST control my weight with my eating. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Esther
    Goal 160
    Current 177.0
    Just do what you know to do!

Replies

You might consider the Active Link like Kris suggested. It has changed my life. I felt I was exercising enough but it really showed me I am not MOVING enough. I am three lbs from goal this morning after being 18 above for the longest time. You can wear it at work or even in the pool. It's small and unobtrusive. They might not have it in your territory yet but watch for it.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Esther - we all struggle. That's why BCB is good - to get support from others in the same boat.

Peg - thanks for the additional info!

How's it going Superbowl?
    Trudie

Trudie - thanks for asking!

It's been up and down.

More down lately - and now I still have that 5 pounds of creep plus another pound.

And, we're going on vacation in 4 days. That's always hard.

I just hope to get through vacation close to where I am now and then work on it once we get back.

Hopefully you can try to balance your eating somewhat on vacation. Also, look for some opportunity for get a little exercise if possible. Keep working it. So much of this is about our mindset. Do the best you can do while your struggling. You will get your mojo back.
    Trudie

Thanks Trudie.

If all goes as planned, we will be doing A LOT of walking during this vacation. So, I am looking forward to that and seeing if it helps with some of the "sampling" that I may be doing while we are away. I also plan on bringing a lot of fruit with us for snacking when we are hanging out at the hotel room.