Thread: Quinoa Opinions

Default Quinoa Opinions

I just started eating quinoa and I love the taste super easy to cook up in replacement of other grains I heard it is a healthier option for grains. I was wondering does anyone else eat this and what do you think or any recipes to use it in?
    ~*Jillian*~

*~SW 148 ~ CW 145 ~ WGW 125 ~*

"What you eat in private, you wear in public."

Replies

Default Re: Quinoa Opinions

Quinoa is a complete protein grain. I'm gluten intolerant so quinoa is a staple for me. I usually combine with various veggies (duke, tape tomatoes, celery, etc), plus parsley or cilantro, plus some balsamic vinegar and a bit of oil. Toss together to make a cold salad.

I use it like rice a lot-- make curries and stir-fry & use quinoa as a base.

I've made quinoa pudding too-- like tapioca. The recipe shoud be in the dessert section here.
    Kimberley

The pudding sounds delicious, I am slow to discovering it and have fallen in love with it. lol
    ~*Jillian*~

*~SW 148 ~ CW 145 ~ WGW 125 ~*

"What you eat in private, you wear in public."

Replies

I, too, am a big fan of quinoa because it IS a complete protein. However, I find it fairly tasteless.

When I cook up a batch (be SURE to rinse it thoroughly, or it may taste bitter), I end up using it in a lot of different ways - ie - I sprinkle on top of tossed salad, add to tuna & other salads, add to sauces, stir into yogurt, throw in a milkshake (homemade), toss in with cut up fruits, etc.

I have very few actual recipes I use it for religiously except for quin-bouli (tabouli substituting quinoa instead of bulgar wheat).

KIMBERLY - do you know if it can be frozen once cooked?? If was thinking of freezing "ice cube" size bits so I can just grab a little bit any time I need it.
    Susan

�The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.� -Teddy Roosevelt

Replies
    Blog Entries

I know quinoa has been around for a long time--my hippie friends in the 60s ate it My nephew also uses it as a staple, so I finally tried it. Frankly, I didn't see what the big deal was other than it is listed as one of the "perfect" foods. However, after making a huge batch (I didn't know it tripled!), I found all kinds of ways to use it up and my husband loved having something other than rice or potato. I sauted onions, peppers, and mushrooms, then added a few frozen peas and served it as a pilaf. There was lots left over, so for lunch the next day, I mixed up a dressing (olive oil, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, honey) and mixed that in a served it as a cold salad. The next time I made it, I used it under a veggie stir-fry. With the leftovers, I added green onions, peppers (red, yellow, green), and celery, then I mixed up another dressing (light Miracle Whip, honey, curry powder) and mixed that in and served it cold. It was another hit.

Just keep playing around and I'm sure you'll figure out more and more ways to use it. That's what I'm doing--because I know it's good for me
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

12/15/18 (155)
    08/15/19 -- down 14 lbs.

Replies

I like that pilaf idea. I mainly do a cold salad and add chicken to bulk it up a bit.

She was warned.
    She was given an explanation.
    Nevertheless, She persisted.

Yum! I am going to try the pudding. Has anyone heard to of the muffins? If so, how are they?

If anyone has the pudding recipe would you please post it here? I can't access it or find it. thanks.

try skinnytaste ginas website
    lost 18.0 since December, its my journey

Will do! thank you, I love her recipes.