Thread: Starting again but HATE Points Plus

1. Red face Starting again but HATE Points Plus

Hello all,

I was on Weight watchers for 3 years. Within the first year and half I lost 60 pounds But then they switched to points plus.. And over a year I managed to gain 30 pounds back. I do not think fruit should be free... So I quit WW... This past week I went on ebay and purchased the OLD points books and now I just started the program over. It's much harder because I am doing it on my own without onlines tools. But I did find a app on my iphone for the old program. I also have a slider.. Well today is day #3 and I do not feel deprived, Let's see how this week goes

Default Re: Starting again but HATE Points Plus

I struggled with P+ when it first rolled out. Basically, you cannot have more than four or five servings of fruit per day - esp. if some of it is bananas - no matter if they say all fruits and veggies are free. There's a thread somewhere on that...let me see if I can find it.

Bummer. I can't find it.

Replies
    Blog Entries

Is this the link you were looking for, Super? http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forum...ght=free+fruit

Post #9 is from Luanne, who is a WW leader, and she refers to the 5 fruit guide.

Personally, my choices have been much better with Points+ (e.g. eat an apple instead of a snack bar), however, I've been stuck forever and forever. I came to the conclusion this week that I need to use the 5 fruit guideline, as I have definitely been grazing on it all day. I'll see what happens, and if I lose this week, then it may be the fruit that was causing me to stumble. (Of course, I know there could be other things, and without a long-term "study" of my eating habits, I cannot say it is definitive!)

Having said all that, my response to the original thread starter is that if the old points program worked for you, and you have the materials, then go for it! There are people all over this board who are on the old Momentum program, or the Core (SiFi as they call it today), even programs I've never heard of. I just don't see anyone on the old, old, old program where you have to eat liver every day
    Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

12/15/18 (155)
    08/15/19 -- down 14 lbs.

Replies

Linda, my post did not in any way mean to indicate there is a 5 serving limit on fruits and vegetables. Five servings is the minimum, and in fact WWers staff materials say we should be getting more than that in. Remember a serving is only 1/2 cup.

Personally I've found PointsPlus to be the most sustainable of the WWers points programs. I feel as if I'm eating better and I'm much more satisfied. I've been able to maintain my weight at a lower level consistantly and I find I'm not gaining weight on vacations. These are all wins for me.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Linda - nope that's not the one. Let me look again.

Darn! Still cannot find it

Replies
    Blog Entries

I would have bet by this time - 1 year plus into the new program - the uncounted fruit thing would have gone by the wayside. But people really seem to be working the program without counting fruit. Of course, you don't have to any fruit at all if you don't want (I believe). The 5 a day can all be veggies

Replies

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bowl XLI View Post
    Basically, you cannot have more than four or five servings of fruit per day - esp. if some of it is bananas - no matter if they say all fruits and veggies are free.
    I want to address this statement. I out and out disagree totally with it. If that is your experience, fine. State it that way. But please do not phrase it as if no one can eat more than 4 or 5 servings of fruit per day. I can, and I do. I can (and do) whether I am just maintaining, or trying to take off a pound or two from vacations. I know of lots of other people who also eat more than 4 or 5 servings and are either losing, or maintaining, successfully.

I know the term "free" has been thrown around alot, even by WWers. But in the Meet PointsPlus 2012 book they do say to treat them more like "prepaid" rather than "free". Also staff is supposed to refer to them a 0 point, not free. It's a subtle difference at best.

I have no problem with people stating their own experiences. What I do have issues with is when all of a sudden these personal experiences become "program gospel".

Okay, getting off the soapbox now.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

10. Default Re: Starting again but HATE Points Plus

I can still do things like chow down on a whole box of strawberries and more. So far I haven't had any trouble eating lots of fruits and veggies and am losing. It's good to find what works for you.

Replies

I agree with Luanne. If you can eat "more" than 4 or 5 fruits to keep you full, good for you. Fruits are free, but everything has calories or it would not exist, in my opinion. However, our leader did say you have to be sensible. There was one person in class who was not losing and she was eating fruit, 4 or 5 a day, but only bananas. It wasn't working for her in that way.

I don't eat enough fruit. My problem is some fruits give me hives, especially strawberries, which I love.

Oh well, onward and downward one and all!!!!

Ashlee
    Be the change that you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    I want to address this statement. I out and out disagree totally with it. If that is your experience, fine. State it that way. But please do not phrase it as if no one can eat more than 4 or 5 servings of fruit per day. I can, and I do. I can (and do) whether I am just maintaining, or trying to take off a pound or two from vacations. I know of lots of other people who also eat more than 4 or 5 servings and are either losing, or maintaining, successfully.

I know the term "free" has been thrown around alot, even by WWers. But in the Meet PointsPlus 2012 book they do say to treat them more like "prepaid" rather than "free". Also staff is supposed to refer to them a 0 point, not free. It's a subtle difference at best.

I have no problem with people stating their own experiences. What I do have issues with is when all of a sudden these personal experiences become "program gospel".

Okay, getting off the soapbox now.
    Luanne - with all due respect, this is from WW themselves:

Don’t stuff yourself with fruit

Fresh fruits have zero PointsPlus values because we want to encourage you to eat them. They're filling and nutritious Power Foods and we've factored the caloric impact of even the highest-calorie fruits into our calculations of your daily PointsPlus Target. So go for it! Just make sure to eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed. For a good gauge, the Good Health Guidelines call for five servings of fruit and veggies per day, or nine servings if you weigh more than 350 lbs.

Be particularly aware of day-long grazing. It’s a great habit to have a fruit bowl on your desk or somewhere equally accessible, but be mindful of your portions. Smoothies are another danger zone; if you’re cramming in five servings of fruit into the blender but only tracking the small amount of yogurt you’re adding, you’re going to end up consuming a large amount of calories that will go untracked. While you’ll hear a lot of people saying, “Yeah, I’m not doing Weight Watchers because I ate too much fruit!” there is still a possibility that not listening to your hunger signals can scupper your efforts. If you really think you’re doing everything else right while eating a lot of fruit and you’re still not losing weight, then examine the amount of fruit you’re eating, and why.

Source: http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...109081&sc=3002

Replies

This is also from Weight Watchers, part of the staff website FAQs:

"Is there a limit on how many servings of fruits and vegetables you should eat per day?

No. We’d like you to eat at least 5, to fulfill your Good Health Guideline requirement. We’d be happy if you had a few more, too, bcause they would probably “crowd out” other, less-great choices."

And what you posted from WWers doesn't say that no one can eat more than 4 or 5 servings of fruit. That's what my objection is, the blanket statement [that is not supported] that no one can eat more than 4 or 5 servings. What WWers is saying in the article you posted, and in most everything else I've read, is that the program is built so that we can eat at least 5 servings of fruits/vegetables. But, many people don't realized that a serving is just 1/2 cup. So eating 5 pieces of fruit could easily be 10 servings. WWers also says that we need to be mindful, and if our weight loss results aren't what we want we should take a look at what we're eating, and that means everything, including the 0 point fruits/vegetables.
    Last edited by Luanne; 07-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Luanne

"Just Do It"
    Goal - 8/2/02

Hi RDunbar,

I also hate PointsPlus. I had lost 30 pounds on the old points program then Points Plus was introduced and I started gaining. Counting fruits works well for me so I am back on WW but using the old points program. We can do this!!!

Karmen

SW 174.8
    CW 169.6
    GW 135

Under the old plan, I always thought that the fruit thing was really dangerous.

I have seen apples the size of baseballs. And, I have seen apples the size of softballs.
    I have seen grapes the size of a five carrat diamond. And, I have seen grapes the size of quarters.
    I have seen bananas the size of a credit card. And, I have seen bananas the size of large hammer handles.
    And, it's so easy to cheat and call the bigger ones a serving - when they are not.

Now, it's worse, because it's all zero. But, if you pig out on fruit, it's going to catch up with you. Maybe not in the same way as pigging out on chips and pretzels. But, it's still calories in.

16. Default Re: Starting again but HATE Points Plus

I was a little afraid of the new points plus program at first, but I actually love it now. I feel it enables me to eat more fruits and veggies, and I don't feel deprived if I happen to be at my limit for the day and I know I can grab some fruit or a veggie and feel satisfied.

I was EXTREMELY skeptical on the new points plus plan as I had attempted it in 2010 when it first came out and did not have the best of luck. In my case it was the fruit portions that I was having was over excessive. This is now my second go on points plus and I still indulge in fruit, but I just eat until I am satisfied, not stuffed. I am a few weeks into the points plus program this go around I am really enjoying it and I NEVER feel deprived. I have made a commitment to make this my last attempt at weight watchers, and with this new program I feel that it works better for me than the old program, and is A LOT easier to implement as a life style change. This is also the first time on WW where I haven't been completely obsessed with the program, and I don't really think about it too much because it is that easy to follow and I have yet to feel deprived. That is another signal to me that this new lifestyle really isn't so bad, and I can still feel satisfied while seeing results! I have an awful sweet tooth... that is my biggest challenge on a day to day basis. Having unrestricted access to fruit helps me get this craving out of my system and move on. I think it helps reduce the urge to binge eat in my case, which I was more inclined to feel tempted on the old plan.

Just my experience
    **Sheila**
    SW- 158.6 (5'9")
    CW- 143.8
    GW- 135

Hi my is Laura and I am restarting weight watchers today. I really like the old program because it's more restrictive and I like having set boundries! I have joined weight watchers more times then I can remember but I think its number 5 maybe. I agree that you should just do what works for you. Fruit may affect some people diffrently! I know alot of people who love the new way because it's easier not to have to count the veggies and fruit it makes it nice if you hate tracking everything. I am hoping to lose 100 pounds in a year

Replies
    Blog Entries

This is my first time doing the 360 plan, I had a lot of success with the old plan. I hope I can figure out how to work it!
    "I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday" - unknown